Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 90 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

An assist and MoM for Ross Stewart today according to Who Scored.

According to the same site David Marshall has been excellent in his two games since joining QPR

Hope that David Marshall is out of the Scotland picture for good. He was starting to look error prone and above all else his distribution was appalling and we endlessly conceded possession from his lumps up field. Did a decent job for us over the years but his time is done

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, syecosse said:

To be fair reading a report about his performance at RB it only reads OK nowhere near as effective as he is LB. This is from analyst byron Hutchinson who covers a lot of Scots abroad. 

I watched the game, here's my take:

It looked from the start that Bologna were set up to defend against Hellas Verona--who soon showed themselves to be a very athletic, attacking and aggressive side. Aaron Hickey started on the right side of a back 5 with Arthur Theate (pretty good young Belgium) playing on the left. For most of the game, Verona were all over Bologna. Running them ragged.
Many attacks were coming down Bologna's right side and Hickey was very much having to defend. Often finding himself dealing with '2vs1' situations and doing a lot of chasing. But he stuck to it pretty well, though his attacking was understandably limited. I remember him showing one trademark 'dribble out of trouble' when surrounded by 3 opponents, and a nicely weighted cross (with his right foot). Also, he won the free kick that lead to the Bologna goal (against the run of play). Ran himself into the ground and was subbed off looking knackered with 5 minutes to go.

Unfortunately picked up a yellow so will miss the next game.

So to the big question: can he play on the right? Well, if I didn't know who Aaron Hickey was, and this was the first time I saw him play, I would have come away from the game assuming that Hickey was Bologna's regular right back. So I would answer 'yes'.

10 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I looked at the site not long ago and Malky was still shown as Performance Director. You’d think they’d be keen to show off the successes starting to come through after all the initial fanfare. Or are they still thinking of canning them quietly in the background. Harder to cancel something if it’s perceived to be a big success…

I don't know about now but a lot of clubs were wanting rid of them and for them to be given the money to develop the players themselves. 

The fact it's already produced 2 national team starters despite the first class only being about 21/22, speaks for itself. 

Its the SFA though so Christ knows what will happen with it. The fact it's been 7 months and we still haven't replaced Malky Mackay (who was a dreadful appointment) is absolutely shocking.

5 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Hope that David Marshall is out of the Scotland picture for good. He was starting to look error prone and above all else his distribution was appalling and we endlessly conceded possession from his lumps up field. Did a decent job for us over the years but his time is done

We don't really have an abundance of great young keepers coming through so I reckon we could easily have to rely on him for a few years yet if he gets back to playing regularly at championship level. Hes a decent keeper who only lost his place in the squad due to inactivity at club level. I really hope he can get himself back playing and regain his place in the squad as I think he could still serve us well for another 2/3 years until we get an upcoming keeper to replace Gordon. 

Agree with this. Marshall deservedly got his day in the sun at a tournament but he was looking shaky even before Derby dropped him.

Totally agree. A loan for Robby McCrorie and him taking the 3rd keeper spot again would be ideal, then we can develop him over the years. 

11 hours ago, breeks_mctavish said:

In my very humble opinion that is total madness - who are you suggesting should be in the squad as our 3 goalies. After Gordon and Marshall we have no goalies with any substantial international or European experience. 

After Gordon and Marshall the quality of our goalies drops massively, would have Marshall all day over anyone bar Gordon by a country mile  

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I don't know about now but a lot of clubs were wanting rid of them and for them to be given the money to develop the players themselves. 

The fact it's already produced 2 national team starters despite the first class only being about 21/22, speaks for itself. 

Its the SFA though so Christ knows what will happen with it. The fact it's been 7 months and we still haven't replaced Malky Mackay (who was a dreadful appointment) is absolutely shocking.

There’s definitely something weird about the lack of transparency from the SFA on this. The Performance Director used to be a high profile role. What’s the plan now? Why not celebrate some success? Give us some reassurance that this is actually important to the SFA.

6 minutes ago, borojock said:

In my very humble opinion that is total madness - who are you suggesting should be in the squad as our 3 goalies. After Gordon and Marshall we have no goalies with any substantial international or European experience. 

After Gordon and Marshall the quality of our goalies drops massively, would have Marshall all day over anyone bar Gordon by a country mile  

Completely agree. If Gordon gets injured between now and the Ukraine game I'd have David Marshall (assuming he's still playing regularly) rather than throwing Kelly or Clark in for their debut. 

23 minutes ago, borojock said:

My views also only my humble opinion and I’ve been wrong before! Personally, I totally disagree on Marshall. We have players now who need the ball passed through midfield and are comfortable taking the ball in tight situations and Marshall is a throwback. We don’t want our goalies to launch it and give the ball away every time. No point having a player as backup who doesn’t fit the style of your team, especially someone towards the end of their career.

Also was starting to make a lot more errors per game. He wasn’t Derby third choice for nothing

Edited by breeks_mctavish

16 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

My views also only my humble opinion and I’ve been wrong before! Personally, I totally disagree on Marshall. We have players now who need the ball passed through midfield and are comfortable taking the ball in tight situations and Marshall is a throwback. We don’t want our goalies to launch it and give the ball away every time. No point having a player as backup who doesn’t fit the style of your team, especially someone towards the end of their career.

Also was starting to make a lot more errors per game. He wasn’t Derby third choice for nothing

Appreciate your comments and thoughts and lot of valid points you make 

My point would be who is better then him - lets say Gordon is unavailable who are you having ahead of Marshall and why i personally dont see any candidates that would be a better choice (agree that this depends on him maintaining his role as first choice keeper at QPR this season which is not certain)

McLoughlin - Barely playing first team football and really never played at a decent level

Clarke - Confidence must be shot after the season, no international experience and not played at a level higher then the Scottish premiership

Kelly - Couldn't make it at QPR 

Struggle to see anyone else after these, im not saying Marshall is a high quality keeper who should be there on his quality im suggesting Marshall should be there because he's better then the rest. More experience, playing at a higher level then the rest and i would suggest better then the 3 keepers listed above 

Unfortunately our goalkeeper position is one of concern we dont really have any obvious natural successor to Gordon in the long term, no one that you would say would be international class 

1 hour ago, borojock said:

My point would be who is better then him - lets say Gordon is unavailable who are you having ahead of Marshall and why i personally dont see any candidates that would be a better choice (agree that this depends on him maintaining his role as first choice keeper at QPR this season which is not certain)

McLoughlin - Barely playing first team football and really never played at a decent level

Clarke - Confidence must be shot after the season, no international experience and not played at a level higher then the Scottish premiership

Struggle to see anyone else after these, im not saying Marshall is a high quality keeper who should be there on his quality im suggesting Marshall should be there because he's better then the rest. More experience, playing at a higher level then the rest and i would suggest better then the 3 keepers listed above 

Unfortunately our goalkeeper position is one of concern we dont really have any obvious natural successor to Gordon in the long term, no one that you would say would be international class 

I also think there is way more to the Marshall story than meets the eye. He went from being Derby and Scotland number 1 to 3rd choice at Derby and not even included for Scotland. Something doesn't add up, especially if you look at the other people selected by Clarke.

Armstrong, Patterson and McLaughlin have all been called up with minimum to no game time recently. Armstrong even said he was shocked he got called up after not playing for many weeks.

Assuming Marshall wasn't injured, he would still have been training regularly. What's the difference between McLaughlin sitting on a bench and Marshall sitting in a stand? 

Losing his spot to Gordon makes sense, being dropped entirely whilst McLaughlin is called up doesn't.

32 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I also think there is way more to the Marshall story than meets the eye. He went from being Derby and Scotland number 1 to 3rd choice at Derby and not even included for Scotland. Something doesn't add up, especially if you look at the other people selected by Clarke.

Armstrong, Patterson and McLaughlin have all been called up with minimum to no game time recently. Armstrong even said he was shocked he got called up after not playing for many weeks.

Assuming Marshall wasn't injured, he would still have been training regularly. What's the difference between McLaughlin sitting on a bench and Marshall sitting in a stand? 

Losing his spot to Gordon makes sense, being dropped entirely whilst McLaughlin is called up doesn't.

Not quite sure what you’re getting at here, but I don’t think Marshall’s anything other than a model pro who always gave his all. However, it’s not uncommon for goalies to suddenly lose form, especially at his age. Is it not most likely that the 2 managers who have seen him close up have maybe come to the conclusion he’s not on form and should be kept away from their respective teams? Sure, he could still turn it round and prove people wrong. I hope he does well at QPR, but I’ll be surprised if he suddenly gets drafted back in.

2 hours ago, borojock said:

Good points and agree that it’s a problem. In truth I’m not so familiar with all the options. I would say it’s maybe a big quick to write off Liam Kelly - still quite young and has shown promise at times. McLaughlin seems to be a trusted deputy at Rangers. Clark - not long ago he was on fire. I’ve just not seen enough of any of them to say for sure - therefore I accept maybe a bit rash of me to blindly write off Marshall!! But we do need to build experience as backup to Gordon. And from what I’ve seen of Marshall lately he’s not a safe pair of hands to turn to right now

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

We don't really have an abundance of great young keepers coming through so I reckon we could easily have to rely on him for a few years yet if he gets back to playing regularly at championship level. Hes a decent keeper who only lost his place in the squad due to inactivity at club level. I really hope he can get himself back playing and regain his place in the squad as I think he could still serve us well for another 2/3 years until we get an upcoming keeper to replace Gordon. 

Slicker was on the bench for Man City yesterday. Maybe one to keep an eye on. 

5 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Mcgregor is a loss but we have mctominay who can come straight in. Mctominay is on form too

It's great having some depth in certain areas for a change

I agree about the depth.
Still, I hope McGregor makes a quick recovery and gets back playing soon.