Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 88 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

5 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I agree that we havent seen the best of McTom yet but I disagree that he has been poor. Games arent just about goals and assists. As I said previously, he has been instrumental in how we play, especially when playing rcb with his ability to pass with accuracy through the lines rather than putting the ball long into channels. 

Fletcher got slaughtered on here, at games and on phone in's (causing me to make my 1 and only call to a phone in to defend him after Maccedonia away. It was only later in his career and more so when he was absent that he started to get the credit he deserved. The very same thing was thrown at Fletcher, how many goals and assists does he get for Scotland.

Also similar for Robertson not so long ago. Its no surprise that Robertsons performances appear to have gotten better when he has a solid defence beside him and attacking players with intelligence and movement to play with. He hasnt suddenly started playing better.

As I said, I wouldnt put McTom into the midfield 3 for the semi if others are fit. Doesnt mean he has been poor though. To flip your question, how many goals has he been directly responsible for?

He has been poor compared to others in the team such as afore-mentioned Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn. He plays for Man United yet in all the games for us I can honestly say I cannot recall one game where you could say he was our man of the match. A great example for me were the recent potential banana skin matches away to The Faroe Islands and Moldova. McTominay started in midfield alongside Gilmour and McGinn and the whole midfield lacked cohesion as a result. We toiled to create chances and did not like scoring until a late, late goal. After that we played Moldova away with Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn and looked far more cohesive and potent for it in an all-round more comprehensive display.

We agree that if we have a full squad to choose from then no place for McTominay. Where we disagree on is how good McTominay has been so far for us. Hopefully, that will change.

We all have opinions that differ from time to time or rate players differently or choose their own ways of how to rate players. Nothing wrong with that. We all want Scotland to succeed too its just that different people have different views on the best way to line-up.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’d play McTominay in a midfield  3 beside Gilmour and McGregor, push up McGinn off Adams/Dykes. I think it improve the team, I think it will allow us to hold onto possession better, push teams back into their own half and play in the opposition half for good periods of the game. I also think it would make us harder to breakdown.

I’d like to see this but probably not trialled for the first time in a World Cup playoff semi final

To get the best out of McTominay you need to play him in a midfield 3, 3 central midfielders, not 2 central midfielders and an attacking midfielder.

5 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I’d like to see this but probably not trialled for the first time in a World Cup playoff semi final

I think Ukraine play a 4/3/3, not  too knowledgeable about their players and how the midfield operates, I don’t know if it will end up 3 Ukrainians against Gilmour and McGregor in midfield. 

Edited by Scot1

5 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And if we are going on what counts most of all the three best midfielders in a Scotland shirt currently are Gilmour, McGinn and McGregor. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

CORRECT.The three that have gelled together in recent games should start.Absolutely no reason to change.McTominay is a good player,but he changes the dynamics of our midfield in a negative way.Leave well alone.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We shall agree to disagree then. Look through all our good performances of late and it has been with the midfield I stated. What is so controversial about not wanting to break up a winning team and formula?

The same formula doesn't work against every single team. Clarke may well decide mctominay is the man to start instead of any of our three midfielders or he may push mcginn further forward and play mctominay with mcgregor and gilmour. 

I also agree with DS, I disagree with your assessment of mctominays performances. You've referenced the game against faroes, mctominay wasn't great but yhe whole team was too. 

Mctominay hasn't been close to as bad as you're making out.

7 hours ago, Malcolm said:

If we play our usual 5-3-2 I would play a gilmour, Mctominay and Mcginn. Harsh on McGregor but he is the fourth best midfielder.

Mcgregors been excellent for us especially in the big games, personally I think hes been better than gilmour but both have been great for us. 

Edited by mccaughey85

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

If you asked any manager in England who would they sooner have  start for them, Mctominay Gilmour or Mcgregor they laugh at you.

Yeh maybe so but it would be down to ignorance. Our midfield three of gilmour, mcgregor and Mcginn have played well together and our manager is smart enough to recognise this. 

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The same formula doesn't work against every single team. Clarke may well decide mctominay is the man to start instead of any of our three midfielders or he may push mcginn further forward and play mctominay with mcgregor and gilmour. 

I also agree with DS, I disagree with your assessment of mctominays performances. You've referenced the game against faroes, mctominay wasn't great but yhe whole team was too. 

Mctominay hasn't been close to as bad as you're making out.

I think you're right.  It's conceivable too that Steve Clarke might go into a game with a particular starting midfield, but have 'plans B and C'. So he might tweak things  with the formation and subs as the game progresses, e.g. if we need a goal, or if we need to protect a lead or whatever?

In which case it's no bad thing that he has so many really good midfielders at his disposal? (And I'd include McTominay in the 'really good' bracket).

24 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

It’s very classic Rangers to be playing one of the worst teams in the country at home and to have no youth players playing & the only Scot to be a 35 year old goalie. 

Literally in the bottom tier of the SPFL. Part time footballers. Barely a level above where their Colts team are playing. No youths starting. Sigh. Something needs to be done about teams stockpiling players. Rangers and Celtic are getting worse by the window.

Great to see a young Scot come on and score though. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Literally in the bottom tier of the SPFL. Part time footballers. Barely a level above where their Colts team are playing. No youths starting. Sigh. Something needs to be done about teams stockpiling players. Rangers and Celtic are getting worse by the window.

Great to see a young Scot come on and score though. 

Rangers have produced our 2 best young players at the moment and Alex Lowry looked outstanding when he came on.

With the loan system most of Rangers best prospects like Mayo, Williamson, Kennedy etc aren’t at the club, the B team is effectively an under 19 side and a level below the old under 20’s side even.

Could obviously argue Lowry and King could have started but good to see the minutes they got.

42 minutes ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Rangers have produced our 2 best young players at the moment and Alex Lowry looked outstanding when he came on.

With the loan system most of Rangers best prospects like Mayo, Williamson, Kennedy etc aren’t at the club, the B team is effectively an under 19 side and a level below the old under 20’s side even.

Could obviously argue Lowry and King could have started but good to see the minutes they got.

Lowry has ridiculous levels of technique. He has a lot of work to do on the other aspects of his game but technique wise he is up there with Aribo. Gio and the team obviously like the look of Lowry and gave him a debut over the Irish lad Charlie McCann who has trained a lot with the first team this season and sent Kelly out on loan.

On them not starting, it is disappointing but this game also comes on the back of a 3/4 week break. I dislike the Scottish cup game coming right after the break. Instead of giving youngsters chances, you are having to build up fitness and sharpness levels of first team players.