Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 86 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

On 1/15/2022 at 10:00 PM, theabsentee said:

Not at all worried, christ he only signed for them just over a week ago, if he isn't getting a kick by the start of March it's time to start worrying. 

Yes they paid a big fee by Scottish standards, not in the money mad epl. I would hazard a guess that most even mid to lower end epl clubs subs benches are littered with players that cost as much or more than Nathan. His time will come no need to panic. 

As for today it looks like they subbed Coleman for a centre back so probably a switch to 3 at the back was the reason he wasn't considered. 

I'm looking on the brightside too. Everton wouldn't have immediately put Patterson in their matchday squad if they didn't think he was ready to play. Plus, with a new manager coming in, it's a GREAT opportunity to impress in training (which I'm totally confident Nathan Patterson will do).

(A lot depends on who Everton get in as manager of course?)

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Hickey in action for for Bologna on BT Sport 2. Half time losing 1-0 to Napoli though Hickey has done pretty well, had a shot on target, won a free kick on edge of box & some nice touches including with good right foot! 

Luis Binks, 20 year old centre back who qualifies for us through his grandfather is also playing for Bologna. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:53 AM, borojock said:

I see Leigh Griffiths has been released, 31 years old should be in his prime. I remember at the end of Strachan's era for us the guy was on fire. At his age he should still have 3 to 4 good years at international level left but unfortunately pi$$ed it away for one reason or another 

Ive ranted about this before but the lack of professionalism in certain aspects out our League structure and game result in us facing an even harder challenge then we have. You look at the strikers that have had potential and then just wasted it and never realized their potential. Riordan, O'Connor, Griff, Cummings etc not saying they were going to be world beaters but could have been much better than they were if they had the right attitude, mindset, behavior, work ethic etc. 

I would love to see some of the training sessions at some of our Premier League teams I wonder how many stay late to practice on their skills, how many review their previous games looking for weaknesses they can proactively improve on, how many proactively go and self develop through reading books on leadership, communication, mindset etc. I imagine (have no fact about this) they basically turn up do the session laid on for them and go home no passion or commitment to developing their game

Positive is from a national point of team i think we have a manager who would not suffer fools gladly and has brought and developed the professionalism of our national team.  

Hes such a waste of oxygen. As you said he was excellent during the end of strachans reign. That should of been the start of great things for him in a scotland shirt but he decided to piss his talent up the wall and now he can't even get a game at Dundee at the age of 31, an age where he should be near his best. 

On 1/16/2022 at 3:47 PM, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah as a youth. Well 16. That Celtic youth side didnt lose a game in nearly 2 years although I think he only signed part of the way through that. They beat the team I played for 7 - 3 and I scored the luckiest hat trick ever. The 1st the GK slipped so was basically able to pass into the goal, the 2nd was a decent goal to be fair but the 3rd was a worldie volley with my right (im left footed) from corner of the both into the opposite corner in off the bar. Was a total swing and hope and doubt I could have got it on target with another 99 tries.

They had alot of good players, im sure some may have went on to become pros but I always remember Maloney as he was tiny but miles ahead of anybody else. He was actually part of the reason I decided to not go all in to try and become a pro as his standard was beyond anything I could ever hope to be.

I am guessing it was aberdeen you were with? My mate has a similar tale of how he went off on trial at Aberdeen and he said that some of the guys were so talented he felt he wouldn't be good enough to make it as a pro. He said a guy called calum mchattie was there and he was unbelievably talented. This same guy ended up in a racist assault with his mate in Aberdeen and got sent to jail for a few years when he was 18/19. Totally fucked his career. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Ralston not playing? Is he injured?

No Juranovic selected ahead of him in his natural position.

I'm sure Ralston will still get some starts but Juranovic being a Croatian international will be first pick in most games i imagine. 

Feel sorry for Stephen Welsh, whenever I've watched him play he looked better than Starfelt. Julien almost fit i think so that will push Welsh further down the pecking order. 

Mickey Johnston was bright when he came on, let's not give up on him just yet. 

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

No Juranovic selected ahead of him in his natural position.

I'm sure Ralston will still get some starts but Juranovic being a Croatian international will be first pick in most games i imagine. 

Feel sorry for Stephen Welsh, whenever I've watched him play he looked better than Starfelt. Julien almost fit i think so that will push Welsh further down the pecking order. 

Mickey Johnston was bright when he came on, let's not give up on him just yet. 

Fully fit squad I think Ralston and Welsh will struggle for game time unfortunately 

Welsh i think has good potential has the attributes to do well in the game and a run of a couple of seasons playing first team football at a good level would do him the world of good sadly cant see that at Celtic 

11 hours ago, Malcolm said:

he has been in poor form.  His squad place must be at risk.

12 hours ago, scotlad said:

Kevin Nisbet getting pelters on Twitter. Hibs are currently 2-0 down.

Can only be lack of competition that is keeping him in the Scotland squad, his form over the last 12 months is horrendous. Hopefully Maloney gets rid, he’s had enough chances 

3 hours ago, borojock said:

Fully fit squad I think Ralston and Welsh will struggle for game time unfortunately 

Welsh i think has good potential has the attributes to do well in the game and a run of a couple of seasons playing first team football at a good level would do him the world of good sadly cant see that at Celtic 

Should have gone to udinese

15 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I am guessing it was aberdeen you were with? My mate has a similar tale of how he went off on trial at Aberdeen and he said that some of the guys were so talented he felt he wouldn't be good enough to make it as a pro. He said a guy called calum mchattie was there and he was unbelievably talented. This same guy ended up in a racist assault with his mate in Aberdeen and got sent to jail for a few years when he was 18/19. Totally fucked his career. 

Hibs. I left shortly around 16 though as all the travelling, training and to be honest professionalism was taking the enjoyment out of football for me. I knew I wouldnt be as good as the top players and felt I was missing out on too much. Most of the guys I knew stayed on until they were released a couple of years later so I always thought I made the right decision.

8 hours ago, dan cake said:

Can only be lack of competition that is keeping him in the Scotland squad, his form over the last 12 months is horrendous. Hopefully Maloney gets rid, he’s had enough chances 

I don't know, he scored around 20 goals last season so he obviously has something about him.  He maybe just needs a bit more coaching, or perhaps he's just on a bad run of form, but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

However, if you do, I'd be happy to see him back at Firhill (your current assistant manager less so 😬).

Regarding Scotland, I'm a believer in picking players who are on form.  On that basis Nisbet doesn't get in the squad.  On the other hand, who else is there?  Tony Watt, who is on form but whose ambition extends as far as Dundee United; Ross Stewart, also on form but he's playing in the English third division - could either of them cut it at international level?

42 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Tony Watt, who is on form but whose ambition extends as far as Dundee United; Ross Stewart, also on form but he's playing in the English third division - could either of them cut it at international level?

Can Kevin Nisbet cut it at international level?

Did he score 20 goals?

Edited by ceudmilefailte

32 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Can Kevin Nisbet cut it at international level?

Did he score 20 goals?

1) He has at least scored at international level (and against a good side too), which is more than some CFs we have capped in recent years have managed.

2) He has previously scored more than 20 goals in a season, yes, albeit at a lower level than he's playing now.  Last season he scored 18 in all competitions, I think (and tbf, I said "around 20 goals").

3 hours ago, scotlad said:

1) He has at least scored at international level (and against a good side too), which is more than some CFs we have capped in recent years have managed.

2) He has previously scored more than 20 goals in a season, yes, albeit at a lower level than he's playing now.  Last season he scored 18 in all competitions, I think (and tbf, I said "around 20 goals").

Apologies you did say around 20.

I think his league scoring rate dropped as the season went on last year and that trend seems to be continuing.

I really cant have one goal in a friendly as proof of International ability though.

End of the day it shows just how short we are of options when we are calling up a less than prolific Championship player who isn't even guaranteed a start for Stoke.

I think Clarke has created a system where you dont drop an established player out of the squad even if their form isnt great unless their replacement is obviously going to be replacing them in the long term. Nisbet was better than Watt last year and Watt is better this year. Would anybody be confident that Watt will be better next year? Probably not so on that basis ive no issues with Nisbet keeping his place in the squad meantime. Obviously there is a cut off point where your form is poor over a long period that you get you dropped.

Its one of the things i like about Clarke and why I think he has formed a stronger type knit squad with fewer call offs. Its also the reason why I dont think Oddonnell will be dropped for Ralston in March. Theres no doubt in my mind that Oddonnells days for Scotland are numbered but im not convinced Ralston will be in the same place in terms of form and appearences this time next year so would be premature to make that call now imo. Likewise with Ramsey although if I was a betting man id say he has all the tools to push on.

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scott Mctominay  MoM on the Red Cafe forum which is saying something considering some people on there will slate him no matter what.

Nice problem for Clarke.

Scott McTominay of late has played really well for Man Utd, think he’s had a few MotM with some consistent displays 

2142D0B1-D17B-441A-A5B2-C87CECB70D9F.jpeg

8 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Scott Mctominay  MoM on the Red Cafe forum which is saying something considering some people on there will slate him no matter what.

Nice problem for Clarke.

He was excellent again. Based on form it would be very silly not to have him in CM vs Ukraine in March

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

He was excellent again. Based on form it would be very silly not to have him in CM vs Ukraine in March

It's quite the conundrum to have. It seems most are in favour of sticking to the 3 of Gilmour, McGregor and McGinn. But how many times in the past have we said something similar, only for Clarke to switch something up and be totally right.

For example, I think the entire support were putting Gallagher in their first 11 this time last year. Now he might not even be in everyone's squad. McTominay will have the game of his life for Scotland soon and we'll all change our tune. I'm sure of it.

11 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Nice problem for Clarke.

Slating him? No. Merely stating the facts. He has been way below his United levels when playing for us. It is undeniable. Our midfield has excelled with McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn and they are the three that should start there against Ukraine. If either of them are injured then McTominay probably starts.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Slating him? No. Merely stating the facts. He has been way below his United levels when playing for us. It is undeniable. Our midfield has excelled with McGregor, Gilmour and McGinn and they are the three that should start there against Ukraine. If either of them are injured then McTominay probably starts.

How's Gilmours form at the moment?