Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 85 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/12/2022 at 1:01 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Wee vid I found doing the rounds on a man utd forum. Ramsay certainly has some decent tricks and skills even as a young kid. Looks like one of your nice aberdeen areas(there are some lol) hes grown up in. 

Yeh someone posted this on twitter. No doubt he is a talent. Personally not seen him play yet based only on reading Aberdeens forum & seeing the odd clip of spl highlights it seems like he could become a top class player for club & country. 

1 hour ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No idea whats going on there. They paid a good fee for the boy..

Not at all worried, christ he only signed for them just over a week ago, if he isn't getting a kick by the start of March it's time to start worrying. 

Yes they paid a big fee by Scottish standards, not in the money mad epl. I would hazard a guess that most even mid to lower end epl clubs subs benches are littered with players that cost as much or more than Nathan. His time will come no need to panic. 

As for today it looks like they subbed Coleman for a centre back so probably a switch to 3 at the back was the reason he wasn't considered. 

I see Leigh Griffiths has been released, 31 years old should be in his prime. I remember at the end of Strachan's era for us the guy was on fire. At his age he should still have 3 to 4 good years at international level left but unfortunately pi$$ed it away for one reason or another 

Ive ranted about this before but the lack of professionalism in certain aspects out our League structure and game result in us facing an even harder challenge then we have. You look at the strikers that have had potential and then just wasted it and never realized their potential. Riordan, O'Connor, Griff, Cummings etc not saying they were going to be world beaters but could have been much better than they were if they had the right attitude, mindset, behavior, work ethic etc. 

I would love to see some of the training sessions at some of our Premier League teams I wonder how many stay late to practice on their skills, how many review their previous games looking for weaknesses they can proactively improve on, how many proactively go and self develop through reading books on leadership, communication, mindset etc. I imagine (have no fact about this) they basically turn up do the session laid on for them and go home no passion or commitment to developing their game

Positive is from a national point of team i think we have a manager who would not suffer fools gladly and has brought and developed the professionalism of our national team.  

1 hour ago, borojock said:

I see Leigh Griffiths has been released, 31 years old should be in his prime. I remember at the end of Strachan's era for us the guy was on fire. At his age he should still have 3 to 4 good years at international level left but unfortunately pi$$ed it away for one reason or another 

Ive ranted about this before but the lack of professionalism in certain aspects out our League structure and game result in us facing an even harder challenge then we have. You look at the strikers that have had potential and then just wasted it and never realized their potential. Riordan, O'Connor, Griff, Cummings etc not saying they were going to be world beaters but could have been much better than they were if they had the right attitude, mindset, behavior, work ethic etc. 

I would love to see some of the training sessions at some of our Premier League teams I wonder how many stay late to practice on their skills, how many review their previous games looking for weaknesses they can proactively improve on, how many proactively go and self develop through reading books on leadership, communication, mindset etc. I imagine (have no fact about this) they basically turn up do the session laid on for them and go home no passion or commitment to developing their game

Positive is from a national point of team i think we have a manager who would not suffer fools gladly and has brought and developed the professionalism of our national team.  

The one person I know did do all those things was Shaun Maloney. One of my favourite Scotland players, and could have been even more of a legend had it not been for injuries and bad career choices. I think he'll make a brilliant manager and be a success if he is given time at Hibs and beyond.

I've spoken about it before, but it's the curse of the Scottish strikers. It's so so rare for us to have any that haven't drawn controversy. Aside from our current strikers, it's really only Kenny Miller and Steven Naismith this century that haven't had any issues. (that I can remember). It's no coincidence that our 2 best strikers weren't nurtured in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

The one person I know did do all those things was Shaun Maloney. One of my favourite Scotland players, and could have been even more of a legend had it not been for injuries and bad career choices. I think he'll make a brilliant manager and be a success if he is given time at Hibs and beyond.

I've spoken about it before, but it's the curse of the Scottish strikers. It's so so rare for us to have any that haven't drawn controversy. Aside from our current strikers, it's really only Kenny Miller and Steven Naismith this century that haven't had any issues. (that I can remember). It's no coincidence that our 2 best strikers weren't nurtured in Scotland.

I played against Maloney a couple of times when he signed for Celtic. By far and away the best player I ever played against. Couldnt get near him and was so comfortable with both feet.

Part of our problem is the culture in Scottish football but thats also an extention of the culture in Scottiah society. As a nation were arent healthy and generally dont dedicate ourselves to anything. In fact somebody with dedication is almost mocked in Scotland.  We also suffer from a small mindset. Always thinking about being just better than the next guy rather than about being the best in the world.

Just look at how somebody like Andy Murray was viewed when he was younger. Moody, questioned for going to Spain etc where in fact he was single minded and appeared moody because he knew the standards that he had to set to reach number 1. Stephen Hendry another example.

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

I played against Maloney a couple of times when he signed for Celtic. By far and away the best player I ever played against. Couldnt get near him and was so comfortable with both feet.

Part of our problem is the culture in Scottish football but thats also an extention of the culture in Scottiah society. As a nation were arent healthy and generally dont dedicate ourselves to anything. In fact somebody with dedication is almost mocked in Scotland.  We also suffer from a small mindset. Always thinking about being just better than the next guy rather than about being the best in the world.

Just look at how somebody like Andy Murray was viewed when he was younger. Moody, questioned for going to Spain etc where in fact he was single minded and appeared moody because he knew the standards that he had to set to reach number 1. Stephen Hendry another example.

Do you mean as a youth? I actually remember his debut when he was only 18 against Rangers. Even at that point you could tell he was a special talent. He is a good example of a player having amazing footballers to learn from in training. Moravcik was his mentor and Larsson was in his prime at the time. Maloney is definitely a different breed of footballer to most though. I think he'll be a Godsend for the likes of Nisbet and Henderson at Hibs. 

Hopefully the performance schools, and general culture, are changing the attitudes of Scots. I do genuinely believe this is just the beginning of a renaissance in Scotland. The more managers like Maloney the better. As long as he doesn't become another Cathro.

52 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Do you mean as a youth? I actually remember his debut when he was only 18 against Rangers. Even at that point you could tell he was a special talent. He is a good example of a player having amazing footballers to learn from in training. Moravcik was his mentor and Larsson was in his prime at the time. Maloney is definitely a different breed of footballer to most though. I think he'll be a Godsend for the likes of Nisbet and Henderson at Hibs. 

Hopefully the performance schools, and general culture, are changing the attitudes of Scots. I do genuinely believe this is just the beginning of a renaissance in Scotland. The more managers like Maloney the better. As long as he doesn't become another Cathro.

Yeah as a youth. Well 16. That Celtic youth side didnt lose a game in nearly 2 years although I think he only signed part of the way through that. They beat the team I played for 7 - 3 and I scored the luckiest hat trick ever. The 1st the GK slipped so was basically able to pass into the goal, the 2nd was a decent goal to be fair but the 3rd was a worldie volley with my right (im left footed) from corner of the both into the opposite corner in off the bar. Was a total swing and hope and doubt I could have got it on target with another 99 tries.

They had alot of good players, im sure some may have went on to become pros but I always remember Maloney as he was tiny but miles ahead of anybody else. He was actually part of the reason I decided to not go all in to try and become a pro as his standard was beyond anything I could ever hope to be.

55 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yeah as a youth. Well 16. That Celtic youth side didnt lose a game in nearly 2 years although I think he only signed part of the way through that. They beat the team I played for 7 - 3 and I scored the luckiest hat trick ever. The 1st the GK slipped so was basically able to pass into the goal, the 2nd was a decent goal to be fair but the 3rd was a worldie volley with my right (im left footed) from corner of the both into the opposite corner in off the bar. Was a total swing and hope and doubt I could have got it on target with another 99 tries.

They had alot of good players, im sure some may have went on to become pros but I always remember Maloney as he was tiny but miles ahead of anybody else. He was actually part of the reason I decided to not go all in to try and become a pro as his standard was beyond anything I could ever hope to be.

A kind of reverse role model. Inspired you to give up on your dreams 😉

23 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

A kind of reverse role model. Inspired you to give up on your dreams 😉

It was more a case of confirmation of levels lol. Although I also played against Zander Diamond alot and was a million times better than him and he went on to earn 5K a week at Burton so maybe I didnt make a wise decision lol

54 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

It was more a case of confirmation of levels lol. Although I also played against Zander Diamond alot and was a million times better than him and he went on to earn 5K a week at Burton so maybe I didnt make a wise decision lol

Haha! Love it!

I can assume your username isn’t a tribute to the aforementioned former Aberdeen star!

22 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

Haha! Love it!

I can assume your username isn’t a tribute to the aforementioned former Aberdeen star!

Absolutely not. He was a bag of spanners. Used to try and play right midfield when I was left mid and was the easiest 90 mins a player would ever have. Used to love coming uo against his team as I knew id get loads of chances.

Apparently when he switched to centre back and moved to Aberdeen he worked the hardest out of any player so fair play to him. 

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I remember a mate of mine, who was ok but no great shakes, telling me he played in the same school team as Derek Mountfield.   He reckoned Mountfield was one of the least skilful players in the team but was totally committed and would do whatever the manager told him to do.  Of course he was part of that great Everton team of the 80s and went on to win the League twice, FA Cup and ECWC.