Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 83 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, Malcolm said:

point I’m making is that he may be no better off than he was at rangers and may even be worse off.  No guarantee he is going to start many matches.

Of course there’s no guarantee. Very few footballers are guaranteed a start. 

Rangers couldn’t turn down £11.5 million for him. The move was to benefit Rangers as much as Patterson.

If he’s as good as we all hope he is then he’ll soon force his way into the team. Even if he only plays as much as he did at Ibrox he’ll be facing a far better calibre of player down there and that can only benefit Scotland. 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

It’s a total waste playing Mctominay at centre half.  Yes he is good at bringing the ball out from the back but he is suspect positionally at centre half.  He’s a goal threat from midfield.

Is anyone suggesting we play him at centre half?

Not that I am saying he should play there but mctominay has had decent games for us at centre half. I don't remember him making too many big mistakes when played there. 

9 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is anyone suggesting we play him at centre half?

Not that I am saying he should play there but mctominay has had decent games for us at centre half. I don't remember him making too many big mistakes when played there. 

steve Clarke is… plays him there loads.  I think we should give him a run in his normal position.  I can remember at least twice where he was out of position. Once from a cross and once in a one two.  

man of the match performance tonight.  Thought Mcginn was villas best player.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

steve Clarke is… plays him there loads.  I think we should give him a run in his normal position.  I can remember at least twice where he was out of position. Once from a cross and once in a one two.  

man of the match performance tonight.  Thought Mcginn was villas best player.

But Clarke hasn't played him at centre back for quite a long time. 

Also I can remember countless times Hanley, Cooper etc have been out of position. Most of our centre backs have had nightmare games to forget. I can't remember mctominay ever having a terrible game there. Your judging him pretty harshly if your evidence is being out of position a couple of times. 

Regardless though I do agree he needs a chance in his proper position. I would like to see a four man midfield diamond of mctominay, Gilmour, mcgregor and mcginn. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

If it’s a midfield three, it’s Mcginn and Mctominay and one from gilmour or mcgregor, probably gilmour assuming he is playing club games.

Like McTominay,but for me Mcginn mcGregor and Gilmour has worked well for us.Why would you change a midfield that has started to look really good?Those three in midfield seem to compliment each other really well.That would just be typical of us.Find a winning combination,and then at the first opportunity change it for no reason.

4 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Like McTominay,but for me Mcginn mcGregor and Gilmour has worked well for us.Why would you change a midfield that has started to look really good?Those three in midfield seem to compliment each other really well.That would just be typical of us.Find a winning combination,and then at the first opportunity change it for no reason.

A formation of 541 could work allowing mctominay to play in a midfield four with mcginn, Gilmour and mcgregor. 

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We played that formation against Denmark at home. You would play Mctominay ahead of Armstrong.

I like armstrong but yes I would give mctominay a try in a midfield diamond. Also there is often injuries and suspensions so armstrong and McTominay may get a chance anyway.