Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 74 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, aaid said:

You are playing for a team at the bottom of the table.  One that when it loses possession struggles to get it back.  Playing it simple is exactly what a player should do in those circumstances.  Maybe if his teammates were able to do the same thing they'd be a bit further up the table.

Trying to play an expansive game under Farke and being picked off is why they are where they are right now.

A tough season for Gilmour but he will be better for the experience

Well Tbf last night Gilmour was struggling to do even the basics of keeping possession.

Norwich have looked good at retaining possession in their recent games but they have very little cutting edge and they desperately need some quality in attack. Gilmour and mclean are usually guys who keep possession well but last night they looked poor and villa looked excellent not just in their passing but the speed and pace they closed down and tackled. 

Gilmour needs to take more responsibility in making things happen. I can understand Norwich fans not being impressed with him so far as he genuinely looked poor in last night and he's been poor in alot of games for them this season. 

The loan move hasnt been a success imo and Gilmour is best getting a chance somewhere that will utilise his skills better. I even reckon Newcastle United would be a better fit as they have pacey attacking players who can allow Gilmour an option to play to and would probably benefit from a technically gifted midfielder who can recycle the ball and retain possession. 

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well Tbf last night Gilmour was struggling to do even the basics of keeping possession.

Norwich have looked good at retaining possession in their recent games but they have very little cutting edge and they desperately need some quality in attack. Gilmour and mclean are usually guys who keep possession well but last night they looked poor and villa looked excellent not just in their passing but the speed and pace they closed down and tackled. 

Gilmour needs to take more responsibility in making things happen. I can understand Norwich fans not being impressed with him so far as he genuinely looked poor in last night and he's been poor in alot of games for them this season. 

The loan move hasnt been a success imo and Gilmour is best getting a chance somewhere that will utilise his skills better. I even reckon Newcastle United would be a better fit as they have pacey attacking players who can allow Gilmour an option to play to and would probably benefit from a technically gifted midfielder who can recycle the ball and retain possession. 

So he should go from the team that’s bottom of the table to the team that’s second bottom on goal difference, I like your thinking. 

9 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Gilmour is too small…

Are we in the 80’s again!? 

I would say going by last night he looked too slow and weak rather than necessarily being too small height wise. Norwich were relying on mclean, sorensen and Gilmour to battle against guys who were faster, stronger and who out fought and out muscled them all night. I am a big fan of Gilmour but he will have to find a team that will be better suited to him. Lucky enough there seems to be alot of managers who think highly of him and he will no doubt get other chances in the EPL for probably much better teams than Norwich. I also reckon maybe la liga or serie a might be a slightly better fit for him due to those leagues being more technical rather than the pace and power that the EPL has. 

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

So he should go from the team that’s bottom of the table to the team that’s second bottom on goal difference, I like your thinking. 

Well thats a simplistic way of looking at what I wrote. My point was that it isn't just a case of Gilmour needing a much better team to play in. Theoretically if he's any good he should shine in a poor team but he's not quite doing that at Norwich. At Newcastle they have good attacking players who have done well in the EPL in the past. They also have players who are fast and strong. Imo Gilmour would be someone who could add to their team by providing an intelligent player who can retain possession and play killer passes to the front players. At Norwich it seems hes expected win balls and close down and they also have very little attacking talent for him to play passes forward to. Obviously I want Gilmour to move to a better team but my point was its not necessarily a need for a better team but a team that would benefit from a Gilmour type player. Norwich are very much not that team imo. 

20 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why do we keep going on about Right backs on the bench in the EPL when we have a home grown one scoring 96th minute winners in Dingwall

The jury have written off ralston despite him being only 22. 

I like him, he might not be our first choice for the future but he could be a solid back up and maybe more. He had certainly shown this season that he deserves a shot in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The jury have written off ralston despite him being only 22. 

I like him, he might not be our first choice for the future but he could be a solid back up and maybe more. He had certainly shown this season that he deserves a shot in the squad. 

Would be a laugh if Brendan Rogers took him to Leicester in January.

40 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I would say going by last night he looked too slow and weak rather than necessarily being too small height wise. Norwich were relying on mclean, sorensen and Gilmour to battle against guys who were faster, stronger and who out fought and out muscled them all night. I am a big fan of Gilmour but he will have to find a team that will be better suited to him. Lucky enough there seems to be alot of managers who think highly of him and he will no doubt get other chances in the EPL for probably much better teams than Norwich. I also reckon maybe la liga or serie a might be a slightly better fit for him due to those leagues being more technical rather than the pace and power that the EPL has. 

If Newcastle are that good going forwards why have they won 1 game all season and are equal bottom.  They may have loads of cash, spending it is another matter and I suspect their priorities next month will be defensive players.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

If Newcastle are that good going forwards why have they won 1 game all season and are equal bottom.  They may have loads of cash, spending it is another matter and I suspect their priorities next month will be defensive players.

The good attacking players they have are not performing well enough. I never said Newcastle were a good side. They have a decent squad who are slightly underachieving. Gilmour MIGHT be  better suited to them than at Norwich but obviously I would like Gilmour to get loaned to a decent side in January. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The good attacking players they have are not performing well enough. I never said Newcastle were a good side. They have a decent squad who are slightly underachieving. Gilmour MIGHT be  better suited to them than at Norwich but obviously I would like Gilmour to get loaned to a decent side in January. 

I think Gilmour's the sort of player who is better with better players around him, Lets be honest I doubt if any of the Norwich team, bar Hanley would get into the Scotland squad.

And before anyone says it Pukki's goals record hides what he is, which is a pretty poor all round player.

37 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think Gilmour's the sort of player who is better with better players around him, Lets be honest I doubt if any of the Norwich team, bar Hanley would get into the Scotland squad.

And before anyone says it Pukki's goals record hides what he is, which is a pretty poor all round player.

Plenty of their first team players would make it into our squad. Max Aarons, pukki and krul would be in there for starters along with the three Scottish players that they have who already get in our squads. Maybe even brandon Williams as well. 

Pukki would defo be a first team player for us and I reckon Aarons would be as well or he would be battling with Patterson for the right back spot. 

I would fancy us to beat Norwich but it wouldn't be an easy game. If we can only beat Israel with a last minute winner and beat faroes 1 nil then we are not exactly a team that can look down our noses at Norwich. 

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Why do we keep going on about Right backs on the bench in the EPL when we have a home grown one scoring 96th minute winners in Dingwall

Ha good point but it's great to have all these potential right back options to talk about it, we couldn't have dreamt of that a couple of years ago. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well thats a simplistic way of looking at what I wrote. My point was that it isn't just a case of Gilmour needing a much better team to play in. Theoretically if he's any good he should shine in a poor team but he's not quite doing that at Norwich. At Newcastle they have good attacking players who have done well in the EPL in the past. They also have players who are fast and strong. Imo Gilmour would be someone who could add to their team by providing an intelligent player who can retain possession and play killer passes to the front players. At Norwich it seems hes expected win balls and close down and they also have very little attacking talent for him to play passes forward to. Obviously I want Gilmour to move to a better team but my point was its not necessarily a need for a better team but a team that would benefit from a Gilmour type player. Norwich are very much not that team imo. 

I totally agree again,  Newcastle have strong pacey intelligent attacker's in Saint-Maximin & Wilson so no matter how poor they've been so far this season i think even they would be a better fit for Billy. Norwich look so weak & lacking confidence currently. Todd Cantwell sums them up, his attitude was terrible when he was subbed storming down the tunnel. 

Billy isn't capable of being their saviour on his own I'm afraid but let's stay positive & hope this experience makes him stronger & he develops into that once in a generation talent that we hoped he'd become.. 

Just reading about Ashbys cameo seems to have really impressed again and was against Tierney when coming forward, good chance of starting there next match, Coufal suspended, Johnson may not be back, many fans are seeing him better than Johnson, Frederick's and Masuaku for the right back position. 

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

Just reading about Ashbys cameo seems to have really impressed again and was against Tierney when coming forward, good chance of starting there next match, Coufal suspended, Johnson may not be back, many fans are seeing him better than Johnson, Frederick's and Masuaku for the right back position. 

Coufal isn't really that good,right back is a position West Ham would be looking at in January.