Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 72 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, sandyb said:

Scotty needs to be in the midfield against Ukraine for his aggression, height and strength. Gilmour and McGregor have been great but we will need a warrior against them. Play all three and McGinn as the 10.

I disagree. The midfield, as is, has a real good feel to it. We saw that in how well it functioned against a top quality Denmark side where we played some of our best football in years.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Caledonian Craig said:

I disagree. The midfield, as is, has a real good feel to it. We saw that in how well it functioned against a top quality Denmark side where we played some of our best football in years.

Ukraine are a hefty team and may……may dominate us physically in the midfield.

Good video of his plays/touches. Nice bit of skill at 2:07. He won/intercepted the ball back a fair bit in that video.

Maybe we should try a midfield 4 in a future game against minnows or a friendly game to see if it would work. 

gilmour 

Mctominay.             Mcgregor

Mcginn

Obviously that means 1 striker upfront. Weve certainly got great midfield options these days. 

something i think we missed for so long was someone in the center of the park that shows for the ball, can turn  and play a forward incisive pass to try and get us in on goal - for a long time we had players in the center with no movement to create space to receive the ball and were too happy to play a sideways or backwards pass 

I think that's why Gilmour is so important for us, however was great to see McTom having a great game hopefully a start of a run of games where he picks up form and puts him in a real strong place when the Ukraine game comes round 

25 minutes ago, borojock said:

something i think we missed for so long was someone in the center of the park that shows for the ball, can turn  and play a forward incisive pass to try and get us in on goal - for a long time we had players in the center with no movement to create space to receive the ball and were too happy to play a sideways or backwards pass 

I think that's why Gilmour is so important for us, however was great to see McTom having a great game hopefully a start of a run of games where he picks up form and puts him in a real strong place when the Ukraine game comes round 

That's been about his only decent game this season. He's been in hiding most of his games, his possession stats have been awful for a deep playing midfielder and his forward passes have been next to non existent.

It has been suggested that he hasn't been fully fit all season and maybe the new coach will help improve his game but it's not just the Man United forum that reckon he is having a poor season. 

Personally I think mctominay and mcgregor are a similar standard of player. Mctominay has come through the man utd youth set up and I think thats a large reason why hes a man utd first team player. Truth be told he is probably more a mid table epl player which I reckon is mcgregors level as well. 

With Scotland it's a case that mcgregor has played really well the last year and half for Scotland and has built up a great relationship with gilmour. Thats the main reason mcgregor gets the nod over mctominay. As I said in the my previous post a midfield four would enable us to get mctominay into the midfield. Would mean just 1 up top but if Dykes or Adams is injured/suspended then it might be a decent option. 

45 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I think mctominay and mcgregor are a similar standard of player. Mctominay has come through the man utd youth set up and I think thats a large reason why hes a man utd first team player. Truth be told he is probably more a mid table epl player which I reckon is mcgregors level as well. 

With Scotland it's a case that mcgregor has played really well the last year and half for Scotland and has built up a great relationship with gilmour. Thats the main reason mcgregor gets the nod over mctominay. As I said in the my previous post a midfield four would enable us to get mctominay into the midfield. Would mean just 1 up top but if Dykes or Adams is injured/suspended then it might be a decent option. 

Even with both dykes and Adams fit he may well go for this option.  Could be a 5-3-1-1

McTomininay is a far superior player to McGreggor. There is not 1 part of McGreggors game that is on par with McTominays. That being said McGreggor has built up a really good winning understanding with Gilmour and therefore we shouldnt swap him out for such important games.

Lets put 1 thing to bed though. McTominay plays for Man Utd because he deserves to. He has been a regular for a number of season under more than 1 manager. Man utd have spent hundreds of millions on players during the time he has been in the team. No manager has attempted to replace him. Its the same nonsense that got thrown at Fletcher saying he was only in the team bacause he was Scottish. He was in there because he did an outstanding job.

McTominay has played out of position for Scotland at a time when he needed to. He performed at a high level, bringing more to the team than the average fan can observe. Its about time we celebrated having such good players to choose from.

8 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Absolute bollocks

completely agree with you.  If mcgregor was better than Mctominay he wouldn’t be playing at Celtic, a team that would struggle to compete in the epl, never mind be top half.

i would say that mcgregor has played very well for scotland recently, and Mctominay has been sacrificed in to centre half.  Mctominay should be given a run in his normal position.

I'm thinking back 2/3 years to when McTominay was emerging and beginning to hold his own. At times he loooked like he was going to be a great attacking midfielder and lots of us on here were hoping that's how he'd be used. That or 'box to box'. Someone pointed out he'd been a striker as a youth. It now looks like he's great at following instructions and tactical directions. Is it a co-incidence that he's been playing as part of a defensive 2 with Fred, simply protecting the back 4 and recycling possession, often sideways, and when Ralf says he wants to see more forward passes it happens in the very next game? It seems obvious that Scott is a very good professional who will deliver his manager's plan to a very high standard. He's better than many give him credit for. Looks like the new manager is challenging him to be more adventurous in his passing and positioning. Interesting to see how it unfolds for him over the next few months.

Great discussion going on here really enjoying it and aren't we in a fortunate position that were talking about 2 very good players and who should be in 

For me the question isn't who's the better player its who plays better in our team, formation, tactics and compliments the other players in our starting 11 - at the moment i think it would be slightly unfair on McTom as he really hasnt been tested and given the chance on a regular basis in Mid, i don't know that stats but would assume he's probably played more this year in a back 3 rather than in mid

However i would say McGregor has done great with gilmour and really compliments him that i wouldn't change it IMVHO 

5 hours ago, borojock said:

Great discussion going on here really enjoying it and aren't we in a fortunate position that were talking about 2 very good players and who should be in 

For me the question isn't who's the better player its who plays better in our team, formation, tactics and compliments the other players in our starting 11 - at the moment i think it would be slightly unfair on McTom as he really hasnt been tested and given the chance on a regular basis in Mid, i don't know that stats but would assume he's probably played more this year in a back 3 rather than in mid

However i would say McGregor has done great with gilmour and really compliments him that i wouldn't change it IMVHO 

McTominay coming in wouldn’t necessarily mean McGregor dropping out. It could be one up front with McGinn supporting. It might be a good option against some sides. 

I think it was the home Cyprus game when McTominay came off the bench and within his first couple of touches he looked immediately on a different level to the midfield that day.

Don’t think he’s really kicked on from that, at least anytime he's played in midfield it’s been average. 

7 hours ago, borojock said:

McTominay would also provide some protection for Patterson’s forays up the park. This would in turn free up Gilmour (and McGinn) to provide support in attack. McGregor would do the same on the left. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I think it was the home Cyprus game when McTominay came off the bench and within his first couple of touches he looked immediately on a different level to the midfield that day.

Don’t think he’s really kicked on from that, at least anytime he's played in midfield it’s been average. 

Agree with this. Makes it all the more bizarre that some people are suggesting shunting our most important player (mcginn) out of position to find a place for McTominay in midfield. 

If we were to play our strongest team tomorrow, McTominay wouldn't be in it. 

37 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Agree with this. Makes it all the more bizarre that some people are suggesting shunting our most important player (mcginn) out of position to find a place for McTominay in midfield. 

If we were to play our strongest team tomorrow, McTominay wouldn't be in it. 

Totally agree.

It is the classic case of people getting all gooey-eyed because of the club McTominay plays for and disregarding the more important fact - his showings for us which have been generally poor. Reminds me much of Charlie Adam -revered for the club he played for but flopped for Scotland.