Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 62 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

54 minutes ago, jailender said:

He had a throat infection. Hardly life threatening or long term

If you've ever had a bad dose of strep throat, you'd think differently. That's really nasty.

Besides, we didn't miss McTominay and the form of McGinn, Gilmour and McGregor plus the hardening of our defence means he surely on the bench for Scotland now.

1 hour ago, bigfingers said:

James Forrest subbed on, and scores. 

It's time to move on from Forrest. A half decent club player, but a chronic underachiever at international level.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

And Craig Gordon was a premier league goalkeeper. Probably still would be if he hadn't had such awful injuries. David Marshall was as well, once upon a time.

Patterson will definitely be good enough for the premier league. Probably already is. Though I'm happy for him to stay at Rangers if he starts getting regular game time. It did Tierney no harm staying at Celtic for a few years, or Hutton at Rangers.

Tierney was playing every week though. I think unless GVB plays Patterson every week then he should leave in January. 

Mental that he could move to a bigger club and play far more regularly. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

And Craig Gordon was a premier league goalkeeper. Probably still would be if he hadn't had such awful injuries. David Marshall was as well, once upon a time.

Patterson will definitely be good enough for the premier league. Probably already is. Though I'm happy for him to stay at Rangers if he starts getting regular game time. It did Tierney no harm staying at Celtic for a few years, or Hutton at Rangers.

Good chance Christie will be too. I am still shocked that he didn't get a premiership move. 

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Let's stop seeing conspiracies where none exist without serious evidence shall we? Fraser, I grant you, is a different kettle of fish though.

Absolutely agree with this see far too many posters on here claiming players not committed to Scotland because they pulled out for apparent dodgy reasons 

Robbo against Kazaks - should we have banished him forever for the dentist visit 

Tierney - should we have banned him forever when pulled out a few times early arsenal games

Hickey - a very promising youngster who's 2 footed versatile and playing first team football in a hell of a league pulled out last 2 u21's lets banish him as well  

So many many many more and in my very humble opinion its boring claiming their taking the mick 

Without being privy to having the full reasons of the injury and background info we make uneducated guesses 

You look at McTominay and Hanley and what it means to them, even Fraser watch his reaction to when he scored twice in this campaign and his thrilled 

I think this lads are a lot more committed to the cause, their team mates and the fans then many give them credit 

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Tierney was playing every week though. I think unless GVB plays Patterson every week then he should leave in January. 

Mental that he could move to a bigger club and play far more regularly. 

Totally agree. I said that on the basis of Gio taking one look at Patterson and realising he has a superstar on his hands. If he's still a bench warmer by mid Jan then I'd gladly see him go just about any where else.

43 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Good chance Christie will be too. I am still shocked that he didn't get a premiership move. 

Well, he kind of did in that Burnley bid for him, but he chose Bournemouth. I think he'll be in the EPL next year, with Burnley maybe going down. Could be an inspired move long term.

11 hours ago, borojock said:

Hickey - a very promising youngster who's 2 footed versatile and playing first team football in a hell of a league pulled out last 2 u21's lets banish him as well  

He’s pulled out of a lot more than the last two U21 games.  Hasn’t played a representative match for nearly three years. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2021/11/21/nottingham-forest-fans-discuss-performance-of-scott-mckenna/

Forest fans in love with McKenna. Same site wrote an article last week, about how shocked they were at the reaction of some Scotland fans, when he came on as a sub against Denmark

I can see him moving to the EPL, where players with his pace and power are highly prized. 

Watched the Norwich vs Southampton game. Couldn't have gone much better from a Scottish perspective. Che Adams scored again (!) and proved a handful to the Norwich defence right up to when he was subbed off (and the score still 1-1).
Kenny McLean and Billy Gilmour both started in the Norwich midfield. To be honest, Southampton just passed around them in the first half, but things changed in 2nd half and both players saw much more of the ball. I thought they were both excellent. Hopefully the new Norwich manager will keep picking them.

Grant Hanley back from injury. Looked a wee bit rusty at times (and uncharacteristically was caught dithering on the ball a few times), but stuck it out and topped it off with a very well taken goal (perfect corner delivery from Billy Gilmour).

Only negative, no sign of Stuart Armstrong? (Not even on the Southampton bench).

11 hours ago, mcguffin said:

Watched the Norwich vs Southampton game. Couldn't have gone much better from a Scottish perspective. Che Adams scored again (!) and proved a handful to the Norwich defence right up to when he was subbed off (and the score still 1-1).
Kenny McLean and Billy Gilmour both started in the Norwich midfield. To be honest, Southampton just passed around them in the first half, but things changed in 2nd half and both players saw much more of the ball. I thought they were both excellent. Hopefully the new Norwich manager will keep picking them.

Grant Hanley back from injury. Looked a wee bit rusty at times (and uncharacteristically was caught dithering on the ball a few times), but stuck it out and topped it off with a very well taken goal (perfect corner delivery from Billy Gilmour).

Only negative, no sign of Stuart Armstrong? (Not even on the Southampton bench).

Armstrong has a calf injury. 

23 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I can see him moving to the EPL, where players with his pace and power are highly prized. 

I admit I've never seen him play for forest but based purely on his Scotland performances, I find it hard to believe this will happen. 

Even in his brief cameo against Denmark he gave them a great chance with a fresh air swipe in the 18 yard box. 

2 hours ago, Dodger said:

I admit I've never seen him play for forest but based purely on his Scotland performances, I find it hard to believe this will happen. 

Even in his brief cameo against Denmark he gave them a great chance with a fresh air swipe in the 18 yard box. 

Agree totally. 

For me someone like Stephen Welsh looks a more complete and composed CB. Can’t see McKenna progressing further than championship level. 

28 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

McTominay playing well for Man U in europe tonight 

I'll go further than that. For me he was the clear man of the match playing in a deep midfield role and occasionally operating as a central defender.

Really encouraging for SC . Gives him a ' healthy' selection headache in March.

1 hour ago, marinello said:

I'll go further than that. For me he was the clear man of the match playing in a deep midfield role and occasionally operating as a central defender.

Really encouraging for SC . Gives him a ' healthy' selection headache in March.

I'd agree, makes you wonder about some people though:

Screenshot_20211123-202903_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6aa22705042988fb83669c76d939de38.jpg

6 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got slated on the Manchester United forum. I think anyone thinking he was MoM was wearing Saltire glasses 

You could be right, but at the same time I reckon he gets so much abuse from Manc fans because of that Saltire

8 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

They’ll be in for a shock when the new manager arrives. He’ll be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

You think? I reckon a new manager might look to other options. While I like mctominay he doesn't have amazing games very often and united have the money to go out and buy pretty much any top midfielder they want. I can see him becoming more of fringe player under a new manager rather than a starter. 

Edited by mccaughey85

12 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

You think? I reckon a new manager might look to other options. While I like mctominay he doesn't have amazing games very often and united have the money to go out and buy pretty much any top midfielder they want. I can see him becoming more of fringe player under a new manager rather than a starter. 

I’m fairly certain he’ll stay in the side. Other players may well drop out, but not him. He’s almost always their top player in big game (at least pre-Ronaldo). He’s been brought up in the club and won’t down tools like a Pogba. A good manager will get the most out of him. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s Brendan Rogers.