Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 60 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Is that Rory Wilson, the striker? Maybe he'll stay now.

Celtic dominated the youth setups for the majority of the last 20 years, which is reflected in the ratio of how many Celtic youths became internationals compared to any other team. So the fact Rangers are now seemingly dominanting it could be a sign that the ratio will balance out. However, they need to be nurtured correctly. I'd be excited by that youth setup if I were an incoming manager.

I don't know much about Gio, but, being Dutch, the youth development ethos should be ingrained into his pysche.

Aye Rory Wilson. I'm not sure tbh. A lot of talk with Liverpool and Man City taking him when he turns 16 in January. It will be to soon for him to see if there is a change by then.

Even with the greatest hope in the world I don't see Patterson, Kelly, Robbie McCrorie or other young players starting every game. All 3 will be miles off it in terms of sharpness. You hope with a new manager they will go all out in training and try desperately to impress the new manager. 

Rangers winter training camp will be interesting. We could see a few lads trying to stake a claim for a first team squad spot. It's what got Patterson and Kennedy a boost in terms of first team progression a few years ago. Obviously Gerrard never followed up with giving them a chance but both got more first team training after that.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Aye Rory Wilson. I'm not sure tbh. A lot of talk with Liverpool and Man City taking him when he turns 16 in January. It will be to soon for him to see if there is a change by then.

Even with the greatest hope in the world I don't see Patterson, Kelly, Robbie McCrorie or other young players starting every game. All 3 will be miles off it in terms of sharpness. You hope with a new manager they will go all out in training and try desperately to impress the new manager. 

Rangers winter training camp will be interesting. We could see a few lads trying to stake a claim for a first team squad spot. It's what got Patterson and Kennedy a boost in terms of first team progression a few years ago. Obviously Gerrard never followed up with giving them a chance but both got more first team training after that.

I wouldn't expect any youths to be playing every week anyway. 1 in 3 would be enough to aid development. It'll probably be next season before there is any radical change in youth focus at Rangers. *fingers crossed*. Or, as you say, January at the earliest.

I think the best case scenario, (for Scotland) would be for McGregor, Davis, and one or 2 others to retire or leave. And Rangers to not win the league, thus not getting the £40m CL money and being forced to play youth next season due to financial constraints. (This won't be a popular opinion amongst Rangers fans 😋)

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I mean it can't be any worse, can it? It would even been hard for him to be similar. The only way he could be any worse is if he released anyone under the age of 21.

Gerrard gave no young Scottish players a chance unless he was forced to due to injuries or lack of options. He would then immediately dump them if they underperformed in a Game or 2.

Middleton out performed and got more goals and assists than Ojo, Barker and Jones yet all 3 were given more opportunities and time than Middleton. 

Ross McCrorie future captain, until Gerrard didn't fancy him after a few games.

Nathan Patterson. Gerrard's second season, Tav gets injured and everybody is clamouring for Patterson and he is clearly ready. Does Gerrard give him a chance... Nope. First we get Flannigan flailing at RB and then once he is dropped to we go with Patterson... Nope. We get a CM who played about 1 game for us in 2 years at RB in Polster. Last season when Tav goes down do we get Patterson... Eventually. First we had to Endure Balogun against Antwerp and despite thriving Patterson is dumped a few games later for Balogun against Celtic.

Stephen Kelly does very well in preseason and is by far Rangers best player preseason. He has played the some total of 13 minutes this season. 

Surely to god he can't be as bad as Gerrard at giving young players a chance. This isn't even bitter grapes from me as a Rangers fan. I have been saying it for years about Gerrard.

I hope we get a manager who is willing to give youth a chance. Rangers have some very talented Scottish youngsters, who Gerrard massively let down during his tenure.

Maybe Gerrard was right and none of them deserved first team football. It's not like Middleton and McRorie have looked that great during their loans.

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I mean it can't be any worse, can it? It would even been hard for him to be similar. The only way he could be any worse is if he released anyone under the age of 21.

Gerrard gave no young Scottish players a chance unless he was forced to due to injuries or lack of options. He would then immediately dump them if they underperformed in a Game or 2.

Middleton out performed and got more goals and assists than Ojo, Barker and Jones yet all 3 were given more opportunities and time than Middleton. 

Ross McCrorie future captain, until Gerrard didn't fancy him after a few games.

Nathan Patterson. Gerrard's second season, Tav gets injured and everybody is clamouring for Patterson and he is clearly ready. Does Gerrard give him a chance... Nope. First we get Flannigan flailing at RB and then once he is dropped to we go with Patterson... Nope. We get a CM who played about 1 game for us in 2 years at RB in Polster. Last season when Tav goes down do we get Patterson... Eventually. First we had to Endure Balogun against Antwerp and despite thriving Patterson is dumped a few games later for Balogun against Celtic.

Stephen Kelly does very well in preseason and is by far Rangers best player preseason. He has played the some total of 13 minutes this season. 

Surely to god he can't be as bad as Gerrard at giving young players a chance. This isn't even bitter grapes from me as a Rangers fan. I have been saying it for years about Gerrard.

I hope we get a manager who is willing to give youth a chance. Rangers have some very talented Scottish youngsters, who Gerrard massively let down during his tenure.

Maybe Gerrard was right and none of them deserved first team football. It's not like Middleton and McRorie have looked that great during their loans.

The problem with Rangers is that they jam pack their squad with senior players so when it comes to picking a team the best 11 will always have senior players in it.

Good example is midfield this season. Kelly did well in midfield but currently he isnt better than Davis, Ludstrom, Aribo, Hagi, Arfield, Kamara, Jack. So if even 4 of those players are unavailable then the 3 remaining would start and rightly so as they are the best players available.

The board should be putting pressure on the manager to limit the squad size for a number of reasons. Financially being one of them but also it blocks opportunities for youth.

Ive always said if a young Old Firm player cant come onto the pitch at half time when their team is 2 goals up against any Scottish Prem team then they shouldnt be at the club in the 1st place.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

You mean the same Middleton who won 2 cups at St Johnstone and scored the winning goal in one of them? Or the same McRorie who was MOTM against Celtic? (Assuming you mean the goalie)

Anyway, keep playing guys in their late 30s and spending more money than you make and see how that works out long term. 

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

You mean the same Middleton who won 2 cups at St Johnstone and scored the winning goal in one of them? Or the same McRorie who was MOTM against Celtic? (Assuming you mean the goalie)

Anyway, keep playing guys in their late 30s and spending more money than you make and see how that works out long term. 

No meant Ross McRorie as i think the original poster meant, I have high hopes for the keeper McRorie.

Unless he has been injured Middleton has barely started a game this season for St Johnstone.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Middleton performed well. He was an 18 year old who was mostly an impact sub and started maybe 9/10 games in total. He scored 5 Goals and had 5 assists, I think he had a goal contribution every 100-110 minutes. For an 18 year that is very impressive. He put in big performances against Spartak and Villarreal. Then come January he got dumped in the youth team. I think he made 2 sub appearances after that and rarely got near the bench.

Stuff like that can absolutely destroy a kids morale and mentality. Then when you see guys like Ojo and Barker not doing aswell as you, but still get more opportunities. It can affect you.

Long term Middleton may not have been the answer (we won't really know as he got ditched after 6 months), but in Gerrard's first 2 seasons he would have saved a lot of money on wages and gotten similar levels/numbers had he persevered with Middleton.

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

No meant Ross McRorie as i think the original poster meant, I have high hopes for the keeper McRorie.

Unless he has been injured Middleton has barely started a game this season for St Johnstone.

McCrorie is the future number 1 for us IMO