Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 55 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Karlan grant and Steven fletcher both scoring tonight. Jacob brown hooked after 69 mins. 

Two of those three are not Scotland players. 

Do you know why Brown went off? Will be typical for him if he gets injured just before his first international break. 

11 minutes ago, csinclair said:

"Brown: New Scotland call-up came to life early in second half as he tried to stretch the defence. 6"
That's from Stoke's local paper. 

That sounds oddly intimate how he tried to stretch them with his 6" 😁

22 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think covid has basically fukked his chances of getting picked otherwise he should really be getting a chance in the squad. 

Loads of players in UK and Europe travelling to likes of USA/Canada, South America and Australia for internationals. Why can’t he?

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Two of those three are not Scotland players. 

Do you know why Brown went off? Will be typical for him if he gets injured just before his first international break. 

Whole team were pretty crap to be honest but think he had the first shot on target in the whole game about the hour mark.  They've been taking him off quite regularly around then anyway as they're trying to get Campbell (Kevin's son) up to speed after a long-term injury as he's our best finisher.    

In a nutshell I'd say his performance was: offside; offside; offside; clean through hit it straight at the keeper; clean through but three touches to control so chance was gone but; plenty of endeavour.

I think he'll be useful to have about the place though.  

12 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Whole team were pretty crap to be honest but think he had the first shot on target in the whole game about the hour mark.  They've been taking him off quite regularly around then anyway as they're trying to get Campbell (Kevin's son) up to speed after a long-term injury as he's our best finisher.    

In a nutshell I'd say his performance was: offside; offside; offside; clean through hit it straight at the keeper; clean through but three touches to control so chance was gone but; plenty of endeavour.

I think he'll be useful to have about the place though.  

Cheers. 

Doesn’t sound like he set the heather alight last night but good that he’s not injured.

19 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Cheers. 

Doesn’t sound like he set the heather alight last night but good that he’s not injured.

No worries - I don't think he ever will to be honest but he's one of those players who'll turn in a 6-7 every week which every team needs.  

The other thing that I think would be interesting is if he played out on the right for us with Patterson.  Brown's crossing is crap but his raw work rate and stamina would allow Patterson a real license to bomb on.  

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Tony Ralston is a lot better than O’Donnell. Watching the celtic game just now and I love O’Donnells heart and effort but Ralston is a much better player. 

He really should've been in this squad. If he keeps his Celtic place and keeps up his form, then there is no way Clarke can ignore him in March. 

O'Donnell is completely out of form, but while not amazing by any stretch of the words, he has put in some massive performances for Scotland. If his form for Motherwell continues though, it will be hard to justify O'Donnell over Ralston come March.

As much as I love Patterson and he's set up the goals that beat Moldova and Faroes. If his situation doesn't change at Rangers come March, I would drop him. Basically send him a message that not playing is putting you Scotland career in jeopardy. I'm a Rangers fan and I feel Gerrard is letting this lad down massively.

You also have Ramsey when back fit putting in good performances for Aberdeen. I wouldn't even be shocked if Ramsey gets that Everton move in January and jumps ahead of Patterson. Coleman is done and Everton fans are crying out for a RB. Ramsey or Patterson go to Everton and they will play atleast half the time and will probably be first choice next season for them.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

12 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He really should've been in this squad. If he keeps his Celtic place and keeps up his form, then there is no way Clarke can ignore him in March. 

O'Donnell is completely out of form, but while not amazing by any stretch of the words, he has put in some massive performances for Scotland. If his form for Motherwell continues though, it will be hard to justify O'Donnell over Ralston come March.

As much as I love Patterson and he's set up the goals that beat Moldova and Faroes. If his situation doesn't change at Rangers come March, I would drop him. Basically send him a message that not playing is putting you Scotland career in jeopardy. I'm a Rangers fan and I feel Gerrard is letting this lad down massively.

You also have Ramsey when back fit putting in good performances for Aberdeen. I wouldn't even be shocked if Ramsey gets that Everton move in January and jumps ahead of Patterson. Coleman is done and Everton fans are crying out for a RB. Ramsey or Patterson go to Everton and they will play atleast half the time and will probably be first choice next season for them.

Good post 👍

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

In principle, I'm onboard with avoiding calling up the flavour of the month and trying to maintain a close-knit group. But it has to be within reason and consistent. Clarke happily discarded Marshall because he isn't playing for Derby. Regardless of whether he's on the bench or not, he's still training and not getting much less game time than McLaughlin. But I understand it.

The same should apply to right back. I think we all agree that Patterson is a top talent, but he also needs to be playing. It's fine for now, but no way can anyone argue that Ralston, who is arguably one of Celtic's best players this year, and will have about 30 starts by March, should be behind both O'Donnell and Patterson.

12 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

In principle, I'm onboard with avoiding calling up the flavour of the month and trying to maintain a close-knit group. But it has to be within reason and consistent. Clarke happily discarded Marshall because he isn't playing for Derby. Regardless of whether he's on the bench or not, he's still training and not getting much less game time than McLaughlin. But I understand it.

The same should apply to right back. I think we all agree that Patterson is a top talent, but he also needs to be playing. It's fine for now, but no way can anyone argue that Ralston, who is arguably one of Celtic's best players this year, and will have about 30 starts by March, should be behind both O'Donnell and Patterson.

Yeah I get that and I think everyone was onboard with that for the September and October squads, as you couldn't be sure if Ralston's form would dip or he'd lose his place. The opposite has happened and he is going from strength to strength and been rewarded with a new long term contract.

I think we've gone past flavour of the month now. We are roughly a third of the season down and Ralston has performed at a high level for that period. That kind of sustained form deserves recognition.

6 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Yeah I get that and I think everyone was onboard with that for the September and October squads, as you couldn't be sure if Ralston's form would dip or he'd lose his place. The opposite has happened and he is going from strength to strength and been rewarded with a new long term contract.

I think we've gone past flavour of the month now. We are roughly a third of the season down and Ralston has performed at a high level for that period. That kind of sustained form deserves recognition.

I think the way Clarke likes to operate is loyalty to his players around a specific campaign. So the likes of o Donnel will keep his squad place barring injury or dramatic loss of form until the end of the qualifying campaign.  Then things are reassessed and the new core squad is evolved and players that have knocked on the door are brought in to the fold.

12 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Tony Ralston is a lot better than O’Donnell. Watching the celtic game just now and I love O’Donnells heart and effort but Ralston is a much better player. 

Both are bang average. 

Much better player is a bit ic an exaggeration. Put Ralston in a Motherwell side and he'll be pish, just like he was on loan at Perth. Ralston still makes a hell of a lot of mistakes

8 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Once Celtic have players back/get to January transfer window then JJ will be right back and Ralston on the bench.

I may be guessing but I would imagine things like Ralstons performances against say Leverkusen and maybe Rangers may be important going forward, as in some of the bigger games I have noticed Celtic fans slate him for his ability in those games, which would have also been seen by Clarke and team, also I noticed Celtic are supposedly still in the market for full backs in January.

Ramsey  to get in there barring injury a few good performances against the old firm or a move to the prem or elsewhere may be his way in.

Patterson has shown that he can get the job done already and in big games also, like some on here say are we also dropping Gilmour for not playing. 

O'Donnell took his chances when we had no one, yes I agree again not the ability or form but could imaging him seeing out this season in the squad. 

I think January may be key to some, if say Paterson or Ramsey move and  including Ashby who I could see going on loan somewhere, Ralston depending who Celtic bring in.