Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 51 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I’m really not sure what this idea of diddy teams at the World Cup is based on, other than outdated notions of international football!

There is a far higher chance of a 'lower ranked' team finding their way to a world cup from qualifying groups other than Europe though I'd say

51 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Tierney not playing for Arsenal again today.  Not sure what the injury is but with our games only a couple of weeks away a bit concerned 

Jeez that snuck up! Less than 2 weeks! A squad announcement must be imminent. Any injuries now could have a bearing. Fingers crossed Tierney and Dykes are alright for Denmark.

3 hours ago, todd said:

That's the spirit!

Who are this "plethora if diddy teams" that qualify for the WC that are any more diddy than us?

UEFA created a new qualifying route especially designed to allow two diddy teams to qualify. That's the only reason we were there. The main reason UEFA changed it was to give the bigger teams two chances to qualify in case they fuked up first time round. Scotland and Macedonia just managed to take advantage of it.

31 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Who are this "plethora if diddy teams" that qualify for the WC that are any more diddy than us?

UEFA created a new qualifying route especially designed to allow two diddy teams to qualify. That's the only reason we were there. The main reason UEFA changed it was to give the bigger teams two chances to qualify in case they fuked up first time round. Scotland and Macedonia just managed to take advantage of it.

Spain beat a country 10-0 at the world cup a couple of tournaments ago. Honduras, I think. There will be far weaker teams than us at the world cup. Reign in the negativity.

40 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Who mentioned a plethora of diddy teams? You do realise quotation marks are used for actual quotations

22 minutes ago, todd said:

Who mentioned a plethora of diddy teams? You do realise quotation marks are used for actual quotations

Oh wait, I did 😄 In my defence I was half cut when I posted that. Apologies Orraloon

Edited by todd

14 minutes ago, todd said:

Oh wait, I did 😄 In my defence I was half cut when I posted that. Apologies Orraloon

😂

No problem. I'm always much more confident about our chances when I'm half cut as well. 😂

When I'm sober though, I just think that, if we do qualify, then we will be one of those "diddy" teams. At least our chances of playing against one of those diddy teams will be very small. The draw will be seeded, so we would need there to be at least 8 ( I'm not sure how many are in a "plethora") diddier teams than us, who are seeded below us to have a good chance of being drawn in the same group as one of them. 

Unless of course we are lucky enough to be drawn in England's group. They usually get two diddy teams. I think that's written into FIFA rules somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

😂

No problem. I'm always much more confident about our chances when I'm half cut as well. 😂

When I'm sober though, I just think that, if we do qualify, then we will be one of those "diddy" teams. At least our chances of playing against one of those diddy teams will be very small. The draw will be seeded, so we would need there to be at least 8 ( I'm not sure how many are in a "plethora") diddier teams than us, who are seeded below us to have a good chance of being drawn in the same group as one of them. 

Unless of course we are lucky enough to be drawn in England's group. They usually get two diddy teams. I think that's written into FIFA rules somewhere. 

The funny thing is, I don't think I've ever used the word plethora in my life! Not entirely sure what it even means, must've been the Carling talking 😁

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

More or less chance than us do you reckon? 

They have a very good chance, I'd be shocked if they don't make it. They are unbeaten in their 6 qualifiers. They drew away to Mexico, USA and Jamaica. They also just beat Panama who are the team in 1 place behind them in 4th.

They are building a good young team and aren't the diddy team they once were. Jonathan David and Alfonso Davies are their stars.

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Spain beat a country 10-0 at the world cup a couple of tournaments ago. Honduras, I think. There will be far weaker teams than us at the world cup. Reign in the negativity.

2 0 in 2010, not sure if there’s other games with ridiculous scores in recent years. 

I don’t think it’s negative to acknowledge reality. Teams on a par to us might qualify via an easier process. 

3 hours ago, todd said:

Noticed Steve Clarke at the Fulham v West Brom game, can't see him being there to cast an eye over Cairney, Snodgrass or Phillips?  Perhaps it's just his day off and he fancied watching this game 🤷‍♂️

Unless he is there to see Karlan Grant, we can only hope he is just there to watch one of his former clubs in WBA.