Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 50 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd agree with most of this but......

On another post we have people jerking off over the prospect of England U-19 player Karlam Grant defecting to play for Scotland when his goalscoring record is no better than Shankland's and has never played at full international level let alone scored at that level unlike Shankland.

I have no issue with Adams but considering he has far more EPL experience yet Dykes has made a bigger impact for us does not shine Adams up in a glowing light. Adams is the best option we have outwith Dykes but we need better but unfortunately at present there just aren't any better options. Hopefully, Adams can begin to net frequently for us and ease the pressure on Dykes and others.

Very colourful language about your fellow TAMBers. However, you have form on this and have been proven wrong on Che Adams in another thread. So as you continue to post with unsubstantiated comments and statements your arguments come across as weak and pointless. Fine having an opinion but you do not know precisely what players/coach are considering. There may well not be any new faces in the squad for Moldova/Denmark and we will find out shortly. However, there is a case for having sufficient back-up to ensure we have the fire-power to get the required results - bearing in mind we only managed a single goal at Hampden and failed to convert a host of chances

Other posters are merely pointing out other options of players in form that may be available to Clarke in the upcoming games and hopefully play-offs - which I thought was the main point of this thread/forum?? Our forward options could still be strengthened - and probably need to be if we are to perform better in the next tournament (whether that is  a previous capped player that has come into form or a new cap that is currently performing well). There could well be injuries also which would mean bringing in new caps for just a couple of games - as it did with Considine in the Euro qualies.

The links below show what was said about Adams in the thread last year and what has subsequently been said by Clarke and Armstrong about someone like Adams. So checking on how these players are doing is always worthwhile. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/2975836/steve-clarke-scotland-che-adams/

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19182338.stuart-armstrong-helped-southampton-team-mate-che-adams-become-scot/

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Very colourful language about your fellow TAMBers. However, you have form on this and have been proven wrong on Che Adams in another thread. So as you continue to post with unsubstantiated comments and statements your arguments come across as weak and pointless. Fine having an opinion but you do not know precisely what players/coach are considering. There may well not be any new faces in the squad for Moldova/Denmark and we will find out shortly. However, there is a case for having sufficient back-up to ensure we have the fire-power to get the required results - bearing in mind we only managed a single goal at Hampden and failed to convert a host of chances

Other posters are merely pointing out other options of players in form that may be available to Clarke in the upcoming games and hopefully play-offs - which I thought was the main point of this thread/forum?? Our forward options could still be strengthened - and probably need to be if we are to perform better in the next tournament (whether that is  a previous capped player that has come into form or a new cap that is currently performing well). There could well be injuries also which would mean bringing in new caps for just a couple of games - as it did with Considine in the Euro qualies.

The links below show what was said about Adams in the thread last year and what has subsequently been said by Clarke and Armstrong about someone like Adams. So checking on how these players are doing is always worthwhile. 

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish/2975836/steve-clarke-scotland-che-adams/

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/19182338.stuart-armstrong-helped-southampton-team-mate-che-adams-become-scot/

Colourful language? Hardly. 

Calling up one extra striker for one game in which they would not play anyway? What is the point? Adams, Nisbet and Fraser are the strikers who will be taxed with getting us the goals against Moldova with back-up from midfield from the likes of McGinn who has proven he can score readily for us.

Pointing out players in form is fine but where do we draw the line when players are not available? Last time I checked the likes of Grant and Barnes ('English through and through' says dad) are not available. Until they break silence and state otherwise then we are being downright disrespectful to them themselves assuming them to be turncoats. There is no evidence of that whatsoever and until we know otherwise scrounging around does us and them no favours. Concentrate on realistic options such as Watt, Russell, Shankland, Stewart and Gauld but I'd be very surprised (unless Adams is injured) if any other striker is called up. 

4 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Colourful language? Hardly. 

Calling up one extra striker for one game in which they would not play anyway? What is the point? Adams, Nisbet and Fraser are the strikers who will be taxed with getting us the goals against Moldova with back-up from midfield from the likes of McGinn who has proven he can score readily for us.

Pointing out players in form is fine but where do we draw the line when players are not available? Last time I checked the likes of Grant and Barnes ('English through and through' says dad) are not available. Until they break silence and state otherwise then we are being downright disrespectful to them themselves assuming them to be turncoats. There is no evidence of that whatsoever and until we know otherwise scrounging around does us and them no favours. Concentrate on realistic options such as Watt, Russell, Shankland, Stewart and Gauld but I'd be very surprised (unless Adams is injured) if any other striker is called up. 

I’ll be surprised if Johnny Russell isn’t.

31 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’ll be surprised if Johnny Russell isn’t.

What age is he now? Hardly one for the future -we need to be forward-looking. I see that Charlie Mulgrew has been touting himself for a call-up. No thanks and for the same reason; that kind of thinking held us back for years.

Re Gauld though - suspect the complicated travel arrangements and covid issues have more to do with non-selection than Clarke not rating him.

19 hours ago, henry george said:

Well, in terms of strikers vying for selection it has to Tony Watt's night.  2 goals for him this evening whilst both Shankland and Nisbett got hooked in their respective matches. 

I'd be surprised if Clarke includes any new strikers in his next squad (unless there are withdrawals due to injury) but IMO Tony Watt - currently the SPFL's top scorer - has a stronger case for inclusion than Lawrence Shankland, who has scored 4 goals all season - and 3 of them came against Elgin City and Kelty Hearts.

7 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

The English championship is a higher level than the Scottish championship and probably the SPFL. 

It's not even close.  I watch the Scottish Championship almost every week and the standard is way below the English second tier.

The English Championship is probably more on a par with the SPFL.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

What age is he now? Hardly one for the future -we need to be forward-looking. I see that Charlie Mulgrew has been touting himself for a call-up. No thanks and for the same reason; that kind of thinking held us back for years.

Re Gauld though - suspect the complicated travel arrangements and covid issues have more to do with non-selection than Clarke not rating him.

One game to qualify for play offs. Play your best players - period. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Russell is 31 and I do agree we generally need to be looking forward but we are very light up front and out wide. If he keeps up this great form then, I'd have no complaints with him getting a recall.

Some players when they hit their late 20s/early 30s everything mentally just clicks and they become much better players. Zahavi with Israel is a good example. Was a decent player but come his early 30s everything just clicked.

43 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

This is the dilemma, on paper Adams is the best centre forward we have available against Moldova, but is he suited to leading the line? I think we need someone similar to Dykes, either Callum Paterson or Ross Stewart would be my choices. 
Nisbet also seems to play better off a big centre forward, Doidge at Hibs.

What is best for the team, what allows the team to function to its upmost capabilities doesn’t always mean playing the best player available.  

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Just turned the game on. They're talking about Hickey and the moron English ex player just said, and I kid you not..."There's a lot of excitement about him back in his homeland, in Britain." 😂

I read Bologna lost 3 nil. And Hickey played most of the game (till 81st minute?). How was he looking?

10 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Pointing out players in form is fine but where do we draw the line when players are not available? 

OK thanks Steve...................................woops nearly had me going there thinking you were Steve Clarke or part of his coaching staff, what am I like🤪

16 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Russell is 31 and I do agree we generally need to be looking forward but we are very light up front and out wide. If he keeps up this great form then, I'd have no complaints with him getting a recall.

Some players when they hit their late 20s/early 30s everything mentally just clicks and they become much better players. Zahavi with Israel is a good example. Was a decent player but come his early 30s everything just clicked.

Oh God, yes. But he is very much an exception methinks.

56 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Oh God, yes. But he is very much an exception methinks.

There are a lot of Italian strikers aswell. Quagarellia, Di Natale, Toni, Caputo, etc

Then you have guys like Illcic at Atalanta, Glenn Murray, Aduriz who turned into the best ST in Spain for a while, Ricky Lambart and Grant Holt who all blossomed late in their career.

21 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

This.

He might not be one for the future but he could be one for the present.  These next couple of games are just about getting over the line.

21 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Surely this is the mantra Clarke will be drumming into the players, please guys whatever you do don't leave us in that typical Scotland situation of needing a result against the top seeds!

So pumped for the Moldova game. Think the thought of potentially making a World cup has hit home, the euros are amazing but ultimately you want to be part of the World cup. Having said that, while qualifying for the World cup is obviously harder than qualifying for the euros, I believe the chances of getting beyond the group stages of a World cup is easier than getting beyond the group stages of the euros.  There is always a plethora if diddy teams make it to the World cup due to geographical qualification, politics, etc.  There are no diddy teams at the euros! 

Edited by todd

15 hours ago, todd said:

So pumped for the Moldova game. Think the thought of potentially making a World cup has hit home, the euros are amazing but ultimately you want to be part of the World cup. Having said that, while qualifying for the World cup is obviously harder than qualifying for the euros, I believe the chances of getting beyond the group stages of a World cup is easier than getting beyond the group stages of the euros.  There is always a plethora if diddy teams make it to the World cup due to geographical qualification, politics, etc.  There are no diddy teams at the euros! 

Macedonia and ourselves were the diddy teams at the euros.

15 hours ago, todd said:

I’m really not sure what this idea of diddy teams at the World Cup is based on, other than outdated notions of international football!

Edited by breeks_mctavish