Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 49 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

8 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

Adams may have scored, but was a tap-in from a yard out. A couple of years ago I watched him quite a bit for Southampton, and not being impressed was glad he initially did not commit to Scotland. I disliked the circumstances of his finally committing, but nevertheless hoped he would come good. However, for me he is very average, poor first touch, no great pace, not natural finisher, not target man, not good in the air, cannot take a man on. Ok he works hard, and as a result has occasional good moments in the build-up, but never international class. When he plays my expectations are pitched very low. Southampton are also very weak up front, otherwise he would have trouble starting. With Patterson seemingly solving the right-back problem we have the makings of a strong side, but unfortunately light-weight up front. Dykes is a physical threat, great in the air at both ends of the pitch. But we need someone else in support. I consider both Shankland and Ross Stewart better footballers than Adams, but along with Nisbet still have to prove themselves at the highest level. Steve Clark likes to play the loyalty card, so I fear we are stuck with Adams for a while. Having said all that I would be delighted to see him have a stormer against Moldova, but just cannot see it.

So?

A huge part of a strikers job is to get into good positions to score goals. Do you think good strikers only score 25 yard screamers? 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Tbh I am not really suggesting him myself but if he carries on his good form then maybe he could get in future squads. 

I think, due to the changing face of international football, chances are far more limited for the Tony Watts' of this world. In days gone by friendlies were often used to look at players of his ilk when the pressure of getting a result was off to a degree. But now friendlies are very rare due to the formation of the Nations League. The only way I could see him being called up is if Che Adams is not fit then he may get a call-up but I'd bet it would be Shankland first.

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ralston must be very close to taking O’Donnells place now

Or Patterson's.... just kidding.

But, to be honest, I wouldn't blame him for feeling a bit hard done by that he's behind a fullback that isn't even a first team regular at his club. Ramsay might feel similar. (Fyi I'm not suggesting Patterson shouldn't be there)

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but your talking nonsense. Shankland has never played above spl level. The 1 season he did play in the SPL he scored 8 goals in 32 league appearances. The other season he played spl was with aberdeen where he played 17 times and scored 0.

Last season che adams scored 9 in 36 league games in the EPL. Thats the same strike rate as shankland but at a much higher level. Also che adams isn't really a natural finisher, his game revolves around hold up play and playing as a second striker. Che adams managed 22 goals in the championship which is a much higher standard than the Scottish championship/league 1 where shankland has scored the vast majority of his goals. I would hazard a guess that the Scottish championship/league 1 is akin to non league football in England in terms of standard. 

Ross Stewart also isn't a better footballer than Adams either, Stewart has had 1 decent season in the SPL where he scored 11 in all comps where 4 of those came in the league cup(likely against low level teams). The season before his move to Sunderland he scored 2 goals in 19 league appearances. He scored 6 goals in 24 appearances for ross County that season of which 4 where in the league cup. 

Fair enough Stewart is having a great season so far but it's in league 1 and he's 25. 

Adams might be relatively average as player but he proved he could score goals in league 1 at the age of 19 and he proved he could score goals at the age of 22 in the championship. He's now in the EPL doing reasonably well for a struggling side. 

I am not suggesting hes some kind of world beater but there is massive gulf between spl/league 1 and the EPL. Just look at all the strikers who bang goals in at English championship level who then struggle to score anything near the same numbers in the EPL. Trying to suggest shankland or Stewart are better than Adams when neither will probably ever make it in the EPL is complete rubbish. 

I agree with every word, thanks for making the effort 👌

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Sorry but your talking nonsense. Shankland has never played above spl level. The 1 season he did play in the SPL he scored 8 goals in 32 league appearances. The other season he played spl was with aberdeen where he played 17 times and scored 0.

Last season che adams scored 9 in 36 league games in the EPL. Thats the same strike rate as shankland but at a much higher level. Also che adams isn't really a natural finisher, his game revolves around hold up play and playing as a second striker. Che adams managed 22 goals in the championship which is a much higher standard than the Scottish championship/league 1 where shankland has scored the vast majority of his goals. I would hazard a guess that the Scottish championship/league 1 is akin to non league football in England in terms of standard. 

Ross Stewart also isn't a better footballer than Adams either, Stewart has had 1 decent season in the SPL where he scored 11 in all comps where 4 of those came in the league cup(likely against low level teams). The season before his move to Sunderland he scored 2 goals in 19 league appearances. He scored 6 goals in 24 appearances for ross County that season of which 4 where in the league cup. 

Fair enough Stewart is having a great season so far but it's in league 1 and he's 25. 

Adams might be relatively average as player but he proved he could score goals in league 1 at the age of 19 and he proved he could score goals at the age of 22 in the championship. He's now in the EPL doing reasonably well for a struggling side. 

I am not suggesting hes some kind of world beater but there is massive gulf between spl/league 1 and the EPL. Just look at all the strikers who bang goals in at English championship level who then struggle to score anything near the same numbers in the EPL. Trying to suggest shankland or Stewart are better than Adams when neither will probably ever make it in the EPL is complete rubbish. 

Great post 👏🏾 

17 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I'd agree with most of this but......

On another post we have people jerking off over the prospect of England U-19 player Karlam Grant defecting to play for Scotland when his goalscoring record is no better than Shankland's and has never played at full international level let alone scored at that level unlike Shankland.

I have no issue with Adams but considering he has far more EPL experience yet Dykes has made a bigger impact for us does not shine Adams up in a glowing light. Adams is the best option we have outwith Dykes but we need better but unfortunately at present there just aren't any better options. Hopefully, Adams can begin to net frequently for us and ease the pressure on Dykes and others.

2 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Johnny Russell has now scored in 8 successive games and Ryan Gauld got MOM again last night. Both very much in form 

Would be very surprised to see Russell ever line up for us again. However, given Ryan Fraser’s form and fitness over a long period of time then surely Gauld is worth a look at some point. Maybe the MLS is just garbage but there’s been a massive turnaround in his team’s results since joining. We’re not so good that we can ignore all of our creative options. Sure, he might not be good enough, he’s unproven at this level but personally I think he’s earned a shot at it by now.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I'd agree with most of this but......

On another post we have people jerking off over the prospect of England U-19 player Karlam Grant defecting to play for Scotland when his goalscoring record is no better than Shankland's and has never played at full international level let alone scored at that level unlike Shankland.

I have no issue with Adams but considering he has far more EPL experience yet Dykes has made a bigger impact for us does not shine Adams up in a glowing light. Adams is the best option we have outwith Dykes but we need better but unfortunately at present there just aren't any better options. Hopefully, Adams can begin to net frequently for us and ease the pressure on Dykes and others.

Nobody is jerking off over Grant, however he’s scored regularly in the England championship, he might not be very good at international level mind you but I doubt Shankland is the answer either. 

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Nobody is jerking off over Grant, however he’s scored regularly in the England championship, he might not be very good at international level mind you but I doubt Shankland is the answer either. 

So Shankland is lambasted for his scoring record whereas Grant is lauded for a similar scoring record at similar levels or slightly weaker? Not saying Shankland will cut the mustard but lets not go from one nearly man to another and one who has not even committed to us in any case.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

So Shankland is lambasted for his scoring record whereas Grant is lauded for a similar scoring record at similar levels or slightly weaker? Not saying Shankland will cut the mustard but lets not go from one nearly man to another and one who has not even committed to us in any case.

The English championship is a higher level than the Scottish championship and probably the SPFL. 

That is a matter of opinion. And in any case Grant has a more feeble strike level in the top flight than Shankland in any case as well as failing to find the net at youth level whereas Shankland has scored at full level. Shankland probably won't cut it for us but lets not go bumming up every striker who scores a goal just because we are desperate. Our best strikers at present are those called up for us so until the next McCoist or Miller shows up on the scene we persevere with what we have in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

That is a matter of opinion. And in any case Grant has a more feeble strike level in the top flight than Shankland in any case as well as failing to find the net at youth level whereas Shankland has scored at full level. Shankland probably won't cut it for us but lets not go bumming up every striker who scores a goal just because we are desperate. Our best strikers at present are those called up for us so until the next McCoist or Miller shows up on the scene we persevere with what we have in my opinion.

Again nobody is bumming up Grant or anyone else, but he might be worth a look if he’s interested, the more decent options the better, especially when injuries and suspensions happen. 

Id definitely call up jonny russell instead of fraser who has done hee haw for ages as well as gauld for mclean maybe. I know clarke is loyal but he surely needs them in squad to have a look at them with a full weeks training.  As Dykes suspended for 1st game id rather have russell than anyone else playing alongside adams. Nisbet has not done much for a while either so i dont think theres a big risk with russell as he has good experience and is obviously playing great at the moment.