Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 44 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite club brugge losing 2 nil hendry has been decent. Made a great interception in the 6 yard box around the 33rd minute then intercepted a through ball a few mins later. Both interceptions saved a shooting chance for man city and was excellent reading of the game by hendry. 

Man city have been far superior though and they are cutting brugge open with their superior passing and movement. Going to be a tough second half for them and Hendry. 

Edited by mccaughey85

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Despite club brugge losing 2 nil hendry has been decent. Made a great interception in the 6 yard box around the 33rd minute then intercepted a through ball a few mins later. Both interceptions saved a shooting chance for man city and was excellent reading of the game by hendry. 

Man city have been far superior though and they are cutting brugge open with their superior passing and movement. Going to be a tough second half for them and Hendry. 

Any chance Pep might make a bid for him in the January transfer window?

8 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

Any chance Pep might make a bid for him in the January transfer window?

Didn't watch the second half but  the scoreline would suggest it's unlikely lol. 

Hendry seems to be doing well in general though and club brugge are a good side for him to develop so its looking good. 

8 hours ago, noctonjock said:

Ross Stewart has scored for Sunderland.  Might be worth a look ( the player not the goal ) 

I think he’s the next striker in line tbh beyond Adams, Dykes and Nisbet.

If he starts playing championship or above he’s guaranteed a call up imo and the fact that he’s playing in league is probably all that’s holding him back at the minute.

Could see Dykes moving to someone like Burnley or Watford and QPR using the money to replace him with Stewart.

11 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Good to see Mikey Johnston back for Celtic and looking dangerous. 

Thought he looked really lively.

interesting to see if we can fit a winger into this system anywhere who can’t play wing-back though.

Same point goes for the likes of Scott Wright if an attacking front 3 winger like one of those was to go on a really good run and score/create a lot of goals.

The only position open for them is as a second striker or in the hole behind the front 2 imo.

1 hour ago, BraveheartGordon said:

interesting to see if we can fit a winger into this system anywhere who can’t play wing-back though.

Same point goes for the likes of Scott Wright if an attacking front 3 winger like one of those was to go on a really good run and score/create a lot of goals.

The only position open for them is as a second striker or in the hole behind the front 2 imo.

Wright just now is close control and a quick turn. He massively needs to work on his end product. If he can't do that let alone getting into a Scotland squad, he'll struggle to make the Rangers squad.

With Johnson it's about keeping him fit, he seems to be made of biscuit. Hopefully he can get a run and stay injury free. There is a player there. Quick with good control.

17 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Meanwhile Gemmill played a winger upfront on his own rather than pick those two

There's also Urain at Bilbao, Rudden at Thistle and Bowie at Fulham.

Nah instead let's play a 5'9 winger as a lone striker and punt the ball long to him all game... That'll definitely work.

Honestly when are the u21s finally going to be put out of their misery?

Despite some big results that look good on paper, their is a reason no club has touched Gemmell. He is a honking coach that is a throw back to the 80s.

Problem is we'd just end up with someone like him again because the SFA are clueless when it comes to our youth game. 

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Nah instead let's play a 5'9 winger as a lone striker and punt the ball long to him all game... That'll definitely work.

Despite some big results that look good on paper, their is a reason no club has touched Gemmell. He is a honking coach that is a throw back to the 80s.

Problem is we'd just end up with someone like him again because the SFA are clueless when it comes to our youth game. 

That’s exactly it - when he gets punted it’ll be for a like for like appointment. Or someone like Peter Grant. 

4 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I'll just say that last night Man City played a 5' 6" winger as a 'centre forward' and it worked brilliantly. If the front three constantly interchange it can work. Mind you, Foden is a better player than Middleton (who, by the way, I think is good).

6 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

If 1 or 2 players come along that are too good to leave out, or can't be effectively shoehorned into the wrong position (McTominay), Clarke will change the system. Our whole back line is the way it is to accommodate Tierney and Robertson.

I would also say that our playing style has been altered slightly since Gilmour came in. There is far more emphasis on bringing the ball down and playing through the middle because of him.

However, I really am struggling to see how more than 1 winger could be accommodated without dismantling the whole system.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I'll just say that last night Man City played a 5' 6" winger as a 'centre forward' and it worked brilliantly. If the front three constantly interchange it can work. Mind you, Foden is a better player than Middleton (who, by the way, I think is good).

I wasn't making the point about Middleton's height to say he can't play upfront. I was saying about his height because Gemmell-ball's sole tactic is to boot it long to a striker. At 5"9 that just isn't going to work.

If we were playing passing football the majority of the time, then Middleton's height wouldn't even be a thought.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

They didn't fire long balls at him for 90 mins though. 

47 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Unsure if he will become a regular player for Celtic let alone Scotland. 

Scott Wright is probably closer to a call up tbh. 

Hes injured alot and pretty inconsistent in general but he is talented and has brilliant dribbling and tricks which is something we often lack in our teams. We also don't really play with wingers these days so that could hamper his chances. 

Hopefully this season he develops into a regular for celtic. 

Kyle Josephs 2 goals from last night, first 1 is beautifully taken first time and the second is a nice bit of skill before smashing a great shot into the net. 

This lad has only just turned 20 and looks like a strong athletic guy already. A season in league 1 scoring goals will do him good then next season he can play championship football. 

With the USA lifting Travel Restrictions for those double jabbed, I’m hoping Ryan Gauld gets a call up for November’s Double Header ! 
The date of lifting the restriction is perfect timing to allow Steve Clarke to make that decision and get him involved with the Squad. 
There are suspensions and potentially players not getting much game time between now and Moldova……

Dykes + Christie both suspended for Moldova as we know 

Che Adams hasn’t featured for Southampton yet (unsure on his injury) 

Ryan Fraser got 15 minutes for Newcastle but rarely used and had an okay performance (just) against the Faroes 

Stuart Armstrong not featuring for Southampton at the moment 

Billy Gilmour needs game time between now and Moldova 

Kevin Nesbit getting matches but hardly prolific, thinking he has 3 or 4 goals thus far this season?? I do like Nesbit as a footballer but Scotland can’t rely solely on him with possibly Fraser for the Moldova game! Is Leigh Griffiths worth a call up for this one, I’d feel happier with him than say McBurnie being recalled.