Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 43 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On sportsound yesterday the pundits were all unanimous that Karlan Grant should get a call up & that for the next set of matches with Dykes & Christie suspended & Adams currently injured we need Grant. They also said we should be looking at other forward options as basically only having Nisbet for the Moldova game wasn’t enough. 

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Karlan grant is a decent striker, just a case of does he want to play for us, he's probably hoped that he would make it in the EPL by now and England would come calling but hes 24 and even he must know thats never happening. 

Which equates to: 'Oh sod it my England are not coming calling. Oh well there is always Scotland.'

No thanks.

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

On sportsound yesterday the pundits were all unanimous that Karlan Grant should get a call up & that for the next set of matches with Dykes & Christie suspended & Adams currently injured we need Grant. They also said we should be looking at other forward options as basically only having Nisbet for the Moldova game wasn’t enough. 

The pundits are wetting their pants about a player that has never played top flight football and has a worse strike rate than those with top flight experience that are available to us. On top of that they are assuming that, all of a sudden, a player wants to play for us who has shown no such inclination in his life representing another country for his whole career so far. 

In any case this has been discussed. Dykes is probably the only striker that would have missed the Moldova game as can't see Christie starting that. Adams will be fit and start that game with the likes of Nisbet or Fraser who could play alongside him and for the Danish game both Dykes and Christie will be available. No way will Clarke be plucking untried strikers out of the air and plunge them into such a massive game for us. If another striker is added to the squad it will be a tried and tested option such as Shankland.

37 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Tbh he didn't impress me in the recent U21 games. His first touch wasn't great.

Apart from some highlights never seen much of him, Lincoln fans seem to love him, also successful loan in Hollands second division last year led to Man city giving him a 5 year.

12 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Hmmm... a 6 foot 3" centre half who has already played for Scotland at youth level, getting a start in Serie A you say? How very interesting  🍿 

Started out as England U-16 and England U-17 level. Switched to Scotland for U-18 (three games) and then reverted back to representing England at U-18 and U-19. 

7 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Started out as England U-16 and England U-17 level. Switched to Scotland for U-18 (three games) and then reverted back to representing England at U-18 and U-19. 

Read an interview with him from a year or so ago where he said he's still undecided as his Scots grandad really wanted him to play for us whilst the rest of his family wanted him to play for England. Hasn't played any international games for 2 years so will be interested to see who calls him up next if he gets a run of games for Bologna

13 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Ian Harkes is eligible for Scotland I have just read. Unsure if he’s good enough, interested or actually Scottish in any way but hadn’t read that anywhere till now. 

Grandfather born in Dundee. Not good enough in my opinion and I’m an Arab 

11 hours ago, csinclair said:

Read an interview with him from a year or so ago where he said he's still undecided as his Scots grandad really wanted him to play for us whilst the rest of his family wanted him to play for England. Hasn't played any international games for 2 years so will be interested to see who calls him up next if he gets a run of games for Bologna

And here is another from just over two years ago from a MLS article where he is asked questions:-

MRS: I’m going to be a little naughty now. Regards international aspirations, where do they lie - England or Scotland (he qualifies for both)?

LB: That’s a very, very hard question. I enjoy playing for both. I actually played internationally for Scotland before I played for England, but I’ve played more games for England now. It’s really a matter of seeing how my career develops...

Call me a skeptic but that last sentence sounds a lot like 'If my career falters and England ignore me I will fall back on Scotland.'

Also reading that article the Englishness oozes out of him with answers. He taps into how it was a wrench leaving Tottenham and his mates. There is no reference to Scotland aside from that one question. Everything else he muses over is England-based.

He's a good example of a person who doesn't simply have one 'nationality'. I suspect that he generally regards himself as English but that he is also proud of having a Scottish heritage. Professionally, his profile would be better served by playing for England and he would have more chance of winning something etc. On the other hand, he has a lot more chance of getting any caps at all with us. Very much a case of hoping for England but also happy to play for Scotland if we are his only offer.