Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 41 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

24 minutes ago, aaid said:

Tbf he goes onto say that theres no consistentcy with the decisions and dangerous tackles go unpunished all the time. Personally I don't like where football is heading in terms of slide tackles as I don't believe it's something that can be fairly judged and it's open to interpretation of whats dangerous and whats not. 

If its going to be this way then they would be better just banning slide tackling as it would at least make it consistent and fair. 

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

Is it? The general consensus of the message boards of hibs, aberdeen and celtic is that its an unfair decision and if any rangers defender made that challenge there would be no red card given. 

Perhaps a non rangers fan on here can tell me why its a red card or why refs should get to decide what slide tackles are fair and what ones are not. 

Non rangers fan.

it’s a blatant red card he’s over the top of the ball at pace with his studs showing. 

Fans of various clubs on here are saying the same. For me it’s a very clear red and he’s got history also. 

4 hours ago, csinclair said:

Absolutely a dangerous tackle when he's gone over the ball like that and a red all day and I'm a neutral. Stuff like this is why I think Porteus would struggle at international level unless he cuts it out of his game.

FA2hWvCWQAIQamB.jpeg

Good shot, if that picture doesn't convince the doubters nothing will.. 

6 hours ago, csinclair said:

Absolutely a dangerous tackle when he's gone over the ball like that and a red all day and I'm a neutral. Stuff like this is why I think Porteus would struggle at international level unless he cuts it out of his game.

FA2hWvCWQAIQamB.jpeg

It’s laughable anyone is defending it tbh 🤣

Its also bizarre Hibs have appealed it. Should be a straightforward rejection. 

The thing that annoys me most about is Porteous he has all the raw attributes to be a good defender but would rather do these kinds of tackles than learn and develop. It's been 2/3 years and he is still doing the exact same shit.

He has pace, power and good technique but is too rash and a bit iffy positionally. If he could cut the rashness out and work on his positioning, he has the potential to be a very good CB.

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

It’s laughable anyone is defending it tbh 🤣

Its also bizarre Hibs have appealed it. Should be a straightforward rejection. 

The thing that instigates these reactions from fans and clubs hit with red card though is near identical incidents in the same game going totally unpunished. Doig, early on, had just as bad a tackle on him and nothing. Not even a yellow card or talking to.

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Good shot, if that picture doesn't convince the doubters nothing will.. 

Screenshots of any tackle can be made to look dangerous. Loads of slide tackles result in the opposite player getting caught. It's part of the game and its probably impossible to get rid of unless we ban slide tackling and even tackling in general. 

If you watch the clips his foot makes contact with the ball and rolls over it. I doubt he's tried to do that as its would be virtually impossible to purposely do. When a player goes in for a slide tackle theres always and unpredictable element to it. If your running at pace and sliding in to tackle someone it's very hard to predict exactly where you foot will end up and often the opposite player can be caught. 

The ball was there to be won and porteous easily made first contact with it with his foot first albeit rolling over it. Something I highly doubt is possible to purposely do. 

I accept the game is changing and slide tackling is getting scrutinised but it's going to cause alot of problems down due to every ref having his own opinion on what's dangerous and whats OK. Its something thats impossible to referee fairly and we already see many dangerous tackles go unpunished. 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing that instigates these reactions from fans and clubs hit with red card though is near identical incidents in the same game going totally unpunished. Doig, early on, had just as bad a tackle on him and nothing. Not even a yellow card or talking to.

It's something thats impossible to referee fairly imo. Whats dangerous and reckless to one man is perfectly OK to another. 

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Screenshots of any tackle can be made to look dangerous. Loads of slide tackles result in the opposite player getting caught. It's part of the game and its probably impossible to get rid of unless we ban slide tackling and even tackling in general. 

If you watch the clips his foot makes contact with the ball and rolls over it. I doubt he's tried to do that as its would be virtually impossible to purposely do. When a player goes in for a slide tackle theres always and unpredictable element to it. If your running at pace and sliding in to tackle someone it's very hard to predict exactly where you foot will end up and often the opposite player can be caught. 

The ball was there to be won and porteous easily made first contact with it with his foot first albeit rolling over it. Something I highly doubt is possible to purposely do. 

I accept the game is changing and slide tackling is getting scrutinised but it's going to cause alot of problems down due to every ref having his own opinion on what's dangerous and whats OK. Its something thats impossible to referee fairly and we already see many dangerous tackles go unpunished. 

It’s not a slide tackle, it’s a lunge. Totally different things. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think, more than that, it is consistency that managers/clubs/fans want and that was not the case on Sunday.

It's very easy to be critical of referees so I've got a lot of sympathy for them. Judging on consistency is also very subjective and blaming the ref is an easy cop out of a statement. Porteous has a history and doesn't seem to be changing much after 6 years of playing so leaves himself open for decisions like this.

In the EPL after a dodgy first season, VAR is proving to be a good tool and should help SPL referees in the future if it is brought in soon - albeit with a bit of a learning curve.  I also think that slide tackling is on the way out in 'higher standard' games where constant pass and move football over the full 90 minutes is more of the way of things. It's one thing to slide in and block a cross but sliding in with a foot raised is now more likely to be taken as dangerous play, often because it leads to fouls as it would have to be timed perfectly to win the ball without inuring a player.

It was noticeable in the Liverpool v Man City game, apart from the great football/goals the talking point was Milner who was lucky not to get a second yellow for leaving his leg out on a tackle that was much softer than the Porteous one.

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

It's very easy to be critical of referees so I've got a lot of sympathy for them. Judging on consistency is also very subjective and blaming the ref is an easy cop out of a statement. Porteous has a history and doesn't seem to be changing much after 6 years of playing so leaves himself open for decisions like this.

In the EPL after a dodgy first season, VAR is proving to be a good tool and should help SPL referees in the future if it is brought in soon - albeit with a bit of a learning curve.  I also think that slide tackling is on the way out in 'higher standard' games where constant pass and move football over the full 90 minutes is more of the way of things. It's one thing to slide in and block a cross but sliding in with a foot raised is now more likely to be taken as dangerous play, often because it leads to fouls as it would have to be timed perfectly to win the ball without inuring a player.

It was noticeable in the Liverpool v Man City game, apart from the great football/goals the talking point was Milner who was lucky not to get a second yellow for leaving his leg out on a tackle that was much softer than the Porteous one.

Fine but when match results sway on such decisions they will be analysed to the nth degree and other decisions questioned (as they should be). Up until the sending off Hibs were comfortable and the sending off changed all of that. Did he deserve to be sent off? Probably. Should Lundstram's similar lunge on Doig have been punished. Most definitely but wasn't. That, understandably, irks many.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Like this lunge in the same match that went totally unpunished:-

Untitled design - 2021-10-05T102211.290.png.gallery.jpg

The difference is very marginal and Lundstram was taking a chance, but from the shot above the difference is his foot is in front of the ball with the player behind whereas with Porteous, the 'lunge' was more directed at the opponent's leg.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Fine but when match results sway on such results they will be analysed to the nth degree and other decisions questioned (as they should be).

Yes they will and Faddy's analysis (as someone neutral) on Sportscene was that a red card was justified. 

4 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Yes they will and Faddy's analysis (as someone neutral) on Sportscene was that a red card was justified. 

Of course but I've heard other neutrals views that it was harsh and done on reputation .

On Ryan Porteous I don't see him being a player who will feature for us in the future. We are growing in strength in his position.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

33 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think, more than that, it is consistency that managers/clubs/fans want and that was not the case on Sunday.

You won't ever get consistentcy in regards slide tackles, for example that lundstram tackle is perfectly OK to me, lundstram cleanly wins the ball fairly and cleanly. It all comes down to opinions which isn't good for the game. 

19 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

The difference is very marginal and Lundstram was taking a chance, but from the shot above the difference is his foot is in front of the ball with the player behind whereas with Porteous, the 'lunge' was more directed at the opponent's leg.

Thats because they are two different situations with different angles and positions that the players are coming in from. They are completely different situations and deserve analysis on their own merits. To me lundstrams tackle is fair and legit. I also don't think porteous has deliberately lunged to get aribo, he's lunged in to win the ball which he clearly does. The fact we are debating it shows how warped football has become regarding slide tackles that a player can cleanly win the ball like porteous has and still be punished for it. 

Real problem is that everyone has different opinions on what's fair and whats not regarding slide tackles and its just going to cause mayhem in the future when games are ruined by a ref using his opinion rather than the rules. 

24 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Thats because they are two different situations with different angles and positions that the players are coming in from. They are completely different situations and deserve analysis on their own merits. To me lundstrams tackle is fair and legit. I also don't think porteous has deliberately lunged to get aribo, he's lunged in to win the ball which he clearly does. The fact we are debating it shows how warped football has become regarding slide tackles that a player can cleanly win the ball like porteous has and still be punished for it. 

Real problem is that everyone has different opinions on what's fair and whats not regarding slide tackles and its just going to cause mayhem in the future when games are ruined by a ref using his opinion rather than the rules. 

He cleanly won the ball with his hamstring/arse?

The minute you go over the ball with your studs showing whilst breenging at a player at full tilt it’s dangerous. 

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He cleanly won the ball with his hamstring/arse?

The minute you go over the ball with your studs showing whilst breenging at a player at full tilt it’s dangerous. 

His foot connected with the ball. Just because it happened to roll over it and hit his hamstring doesn't make it illegal. Its a football match, players are running at full speed and sliding into tackles, it's near impossible to time every slide tackle to perfection. 

Easy question, What part of his body makes first connection with the ball? 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

His foot connected with the ball. Just because it happened to roll over it and hit his hamstring doesn't make it illegal. Its a football match, players are running at full speed and sliding into tackles, it's near impossible to time every slide tackle to perfection. 

Easy question, What part of his body makes first connection with the ball? 

Ridiculous argument. Connecting with the ball first doesn’t mean it’s not a foul nowadays it’s not the 80s/90s.

10 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ridiculous argument. Connecting with the ball first doesn’t mean it’s not a foul nowadays it’s not the 80s/90s.

It seems like its a foul if it suits the ref these days which is the problem.

Even with the new rules, which are unclear to say the least, it's not a foul, hes easily first to the ball and cleanly connects with the ball without any meaningful challenge or obstruction from aribo who has no chance of getting the ball. 

If its a foul then the whole of football and its rules will have to be overhauled and refs will be completely confused as to what the right decisions are regarding a slide tackle.

Edited by mccaughey85