Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 37 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Celtic totally outclassed. Has Turnbull had a good game for them yet against a decent side?

this is my problem with turnbull.  Not sure he is at the level yet that we need.  Doesn’t cut it in Europe, playing a very average level week in week out.  Be one to come back to if he gets a move to a big club in a better league and shows it there.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Celtic totally outclassed. Has Turnbull had a good game for them yet against a decent side?

Didn't he have a good game against betis and was one of their better players against alkmaar?

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Didn't he have a good game against betis and was one of their better players against alkmaar?

Yes. He also had a midfield masterclass against the French champions, Lille, last year. He has won 2 Scottish YPOTY awards, too. He's far from the finished article, and we can't expect any of our players not to have dips in form, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a mainstay in the Scotland squad for the next 5-10 years. 

Felt sorry for ralston being asked to move into centre mid when celtics two cbs have ball. he isnt comfortable in there and when he gets ball he is never on the half turn or always looking over his shoulder like top class centre mids and he got found out. His determination and attitude to drive up the line will make him a gd choice rb for us imo. He has got too many jobs to do in that celtic team at present and he does not have that capability. If he was just playing rb then he has a big future. I think the celtic manager is asking players to do stuff that they cannot do. Its maybe ok for pep guardiola to to that with his players but they are top level whereas celtic players arent. 

1 hour ago, todd said:

Flashscores saying Gilmour out of todays game with an ankle injury. Not the most reliable source of information, does anyone know any more details, ie: is it gonna rule him out for us?

Says a knock on their website and manager will make decision closer to kickoff so hopefully alright for us based purely on that

On 9/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Good to see Ralston keeping his place, starting to think he should have been picked not Paterson. 

He’s awful.

He was out of his depth against Dundee United last week never mind Leverkusen, should be nowhere near the squad.

Patterson has so much potential and can grow exponentially, Ralston is as good as he’ll ever be too.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:56 AM, gaz7 said:

Felt sorry for ralston being asked to move into centre mid when celtics two cbs have ball. he isnt comfortable in there and when he gets ball he is never on the half turn or always looking over his shoulder like top class centre mids and he got found out. His determination and attitude to drive up the line will make him a gd choice rb for us imo. He has got too many jobs to do in that celtic team at present and he does not have that capability. If he was just playing rb then he has a big future. I think the celtic manager is asking players to do stuff that they cannot do. Its maybe ok for pep guardiola to to that with his players but they are top level whereas celtic players arent. 

He’s a weak link in the Celtic  team regardless of how he’s asked to play.

He’s poor in possession, can’t deliver, rash at defending and has looked out of his depth any time I’ve seen him. 

I don’t think he’d start for most top flight teams in Scotland.

Calvin Ramsey has a much big future.

2 hours ago, HighlandScot said:

On BBC site both Christie and Dykes listed as player of the match in their respective games. Plus McKenna performing well for a resurgent Nottingham Forest.

Christie should be playing at a higher level and he may well be next season 

On 10/1/2021 at 7:04 AM, vanderark14 said:

I thought he did well against Real Betis. 

Celtic and Rangers fans tend to scapegoat young Scots players when things aren't going well, especially those they've signed from diddy teams.

38 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I thought he did well against Real Betis. 

Celtic and Rangers fans tend to scapegoat young Scots players when things aren't going well, especially those they've signed from diddy teams.

I think because he's been poor against Rangers everytime, people see that as being unable to do it the big games. Christie and Forrest got the same rep due to rarely performing well against Rangers.

Completely daft as all 3 have performed well in big European games and against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, etc.

1 hour ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I think because he's been poor against Rangers everytime, people see that as being unable to do it the big games. Christie and Forrest got the same rep due to rarely performing well against Rangers.

Completely daft as all 3 have performed well in big European games and against Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, etc.

Hit the nail on the head! In reality, most football fans won't be watching Celtic playing weekly, so they have a very small sample size of old firm games to form an opinion from. They also, mistakingly, see it as the gold standard game in which to judge the player by. Historically, Celtic and Rangers games tend to be scrappy, frenetic and emotional affairs. They are unlike most football matches, and therefore an awful game to evaluate someone on.

Turnbull has more than proven his ability to anyone that has bothered to watch him fairly regularly. He's just having a supposed dip in form, just like all the rest of our best players go through.