Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 33 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Have not seen him play lately but Turnball seems to be getting a lot of criticism about his performances this season on twitter. A lot saying he is an empty jersey. 

I watched him today and he was totally ineffective.  I think unless he ups his game his place in the squad is in jeopardy.

I watched Celtic's recent matches against Real Betis and Livingston, and still rate Turnbull as he likes to both change direction and glide past players to make room for a shot. He never needs a second invitation to shoot, and is very accurate, mostly keeping the ball low, unlike Christie who has a habit of blazing over the bar. I am not so convinced by the defensive part of Turnbull's game, plus he has a tendency to disappear when the going gets tough. But I would definitely keep him in the squad for his goal threat and dead ball prowess. Currently he is playing in a Celtic side that needs sorting out.

13 minutes ago, HighlandScot said:

I watched Celtic's recent matches against Real Betis and Livingston, and still rate Turnbull as he likes to both change direction and glide past players to make room for a shot. He never needs a second invitation to shoot, and is very accurate, mostly keeping the ball low, unlike Christie who has a habit of blazing over the bar. I am not so convinced by the defensive part of Turnbull's game, plus he has a tendency to disappear when the going gets tough. But I would definitely keep him in the squad for his goal threat and dead ball prowess. Currently he is playing in a Celtic side that needs sorting out.

Yeh ppl are being pretty harsh on the guy, hes still managed 5 goals and 2 assists in 14 appearances in a struggling celtic team. Mcginn, Armstrong and Christie are his main competitors for that attacking midfield role but armstrong is 29 so he might not be around for more than 3/4 years. Hes definitely going to be a mainstay of our squads for the next ten years imo. 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:38 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh ppl are being pretty harsh on the guy, hes still managed 5 goals and 2 assists in 14 appearances in a struggling celtic team. Mcginn, Armstrong and Christie are his main competitors for that attacking midfield role but armstrong is 29 so he might not be around for more than 3/4 years. Hes definitely going to be a mainstay of our squads for the next ten years imo. 

The anti-Turnbull stuff puzzles me as well.  He possibly isn't playing quite as well as he was last season but some of his passing was excellent against Real Betis, and he did not look out of place at all playing against good La Liga opposition.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:55 PM, mccaughey85 said:

Never really followed siriki dembeles career but he is looking good so far in the English championship. He pretty much creates/assists in all three of Peterboroughs goals. Can see a few epl sides taking an interest in him in January if he keeps this up. 

Impressive.  Pace, strength, skill and awareness.  We don't have many attacking wide midfielders playing regularly at the moment, with Forrest and Fraser struggling with injuries and form, so he could be a useful addition to the squad.  The question is though, does he want to play for Scotland?

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The anti-Turnbull stuff puzzles me as well.  He possibly isn't playing quite as well as he was last season but some of his passing was excellent against Real Betis, and he did not look out of place at all playing against good La Liga opposition.

Impressive.  Pace, strength, skill and awareness.  We don't have many attacking wide midfielders playing regularly at the moment, with Forrest and Fraser struggling with injuries and form, so he could be a useful addition to the squad.  The question is though, does he want to play for Scotland?

I reckon he would play for us, hes 25 and England are never going to come calling, only other option is ivory Coast who might come calling soon if he keeps this up although I am not really sure how strong they are in that position. I reckon if we offered him a chance this season he would come.