Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 30 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

I think i'd only consider Stewart if Dykes was injured. If Dykes, Adams & Nisbet are all fit then he doesn't offer much in my opinion. Was hoping the move to Belgium would bring back Shankland's spark but sadly he's signed for a struggling team with the fans on the manager's back, even more so because they're annoyed Shankland hasn't been starting.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, csinclair said:

I think i'd only consider Stewart if Dykes was injured. If Dykes, Adams & Nisbet are all fit then he doesn't offer much in my opinion. Was hoping the move to Belgium would bring back Shankland's spark but sadly he's signed for a struggling team with the fans on the manager's back, even more so because they're annoyed Shankland hasn't been starting.

I’d have Stewart in the squad for a couple of reasons. 
It would be competition for Dykes, and it would be good for Dykes to train with another forward of a similar type. I think he’d learn from Stewart, who I think has better feet than Dykes. 
Also it’ll be good to be able to take Dykes off after 65-70 minutes in some games and replace him with someone similar, if there’s no need to change the formation, style of the team, inject some fresh legs. These blocks of games are taking their toll on players, Dykes is missing games for QPR because of his exertions for Scotland. It would be better if that can be avoided. 
Stewart is a tall, mobile target man with good feet, a good head, IQ and a good finisher. I believe he could do a job for us if given the opportunity.

Hes not as strong or aggressive as Dykes, he is a couple of inches taller and good in the air. He’s “all arms and legs”, very awkward guy to play against. 
Anyway, just looking at the squads for tonight’s Newcastle vs Leeds game, a couple of young Scottish players on the Leeds bench.

Liam McCarron, Forward, 20 y/o

Stuart McKinstry, midfielder, 18 y/o

24 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Ryan fraser still not really in Steve Bruce plans . He rarely starts for them , on the bench tonight and only ever seems to start in cup ties 

Ryan Fraser isn't that good, even at a poor EPL team he will struggle to start.

Good to see has got the plaster off that forced him out of our last game though.

10 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Ryan Fraser isn't that good, even at a poor EPL team he will struggle to start.

Good to see has got the plaster off that forced him out of our last game though.

It’s a good point where would he go next probably back to the championship on loan in January. 

He never seems overly fussed about not playing though.

4 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’d have Stewart in the squad for a couple of reasons. 
It would be competition for Dykes, and it would be good for Dykes to train with another forward of a similar type. I think he’d learn from Stewart, who I think has better feet than Dykes. 
Also it’ll be good to be able to take Dykes off after 65-70 minutes in some games and replace him with someone similar, if there’s no need to change the formation, style of the team, inject some fresh legs. These blocks of games are taking their toll on players, Dykes is missing games for QPR because of his exertions for Scotland. It would be better if that can be avoided. 
Stewart is a tall, mobile target man with good feet, a good head, IQ and a good finisher. I believe he could do a job for us if given the opportunity.

Hes not as strong or aggressive as Dykes, he is a couple of inches taller and good in the air. He’s “all arms and legs”, very awkward guy to play against. 
Anyway, just looking at the squads for tonight’s Newcastle vs Leeds game, a couple of young Scottish players on the Leeds bench.

Liam McCarron, Forward, 20 y/o

Stuart McKinstry, midfielder, 18 y/o

I don't think Stewart was particularly prolific at Ross County but Sunderland fans really rate him so let's hope his goals burst & overall good play isn't a just a form burst & continues for the season. Maybe a bit early to consider a call up but we aren't exactly blessed with options so if he keeps it up why not. 

Good the young Scottish lads at Leeds getting first team call ups. Sometimes read the leeds fans forum about their development /under 23 squad, both lads are regular starters but there's a few other players that are higher rated by fans so we shouldn't get too excited for their chances yet. 

Think the best breakthrough young Scots this season so far are Ramsay & Montgomery, they both look outstanding prospects. Anybody think of any others?

I mean this season, not lads like Patterson, Doig, Welsh, Ralston etc who we have known for a while. 

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I don't think Stewart was particularly prolific at Ross County but Sunderland fans really rate him so let's hope his goals burst & overall good play isn't a just a form burst & continues for the season. Maybe a bit early to consider a call up but we aren't exactly blessed with options so if he keeps it up why not. 

Good the young Scottish lads at Leeds getting first team call ups. Sometimes read the leeds fans forum about their development /under 23 squad, both lads are regular starters but there's a few other players that are higher rated by fans so we shouldn't get too excited for their chances yet. 

Think the best breakthrough young Scots this season so far are Ramsay & Montgomery, they both look outstanding prospects. Anybody think of any others?

I mean this season, not lads like Patterson, Doig, Welsh, Ralston etc who we have known for a while. 

He seemed to play on the wing for County a lot and he is very fast for someone with his frame. He’s definitely not as talented as Nisbet but I think he is worth keeping an eye on due to his physical attributes. 

7 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I’m keeping my eye on Aaron Hickey today. Looks to be playing every week in Serie A now. Still only 19 too. 

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

I’m keeping my eye on Aaron Hickey today. Looks to be playing every week in Serie A now. Still only 19 too. 

Hickey surely is in line to take Greg Taylor’s place.

The bizarre 3rd left back spot that exists to give a Kilmarnock associated player a game 

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

He seemed to play on the wing for County a lot and he is very fast for someone with his frame. He’s definitely not as talented as Nisbet but I think he is worth keeping an eye on due to his physical attributes. 

Yeah he mostly played on the wing for Ross County with Billy Mackay through the middle. 
He’s now playing through the middle as the main striker at Sunderland and is playing with some decent players like Aiden McGeady, so he’s probably getting better service than he was at Ross County. 
He’s made a step up and is doing well. The Sunderland fans are very happy with his goals, his work rate, his pace/mobility, intelligence, technique and his general all round play, some  are comparing him to Niall Quinn. They can’t believe how cheap he was to buy.

With Hickey it’s great to see him playing regularly at Bologna. I personally would let him concentrate on his club career this season. If he’s has a good season then I’d look at including him in the squad. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Nisbet is competing with Adams.  Stewart would be brought in as competition for Dykes. I think that would be good to have that kind of competition within the squad.

8 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I always try to predict what breakout players will emerge every year, and there is always one or two that appear out of nowhere. That's true of the last few years at least. Ramsay and Montgomery were barely on the radar a month ago.

I'd keep an eye on whether Cieran Slicker at Man City gets a loan move in the next 6-12 months. If he's making their bench, he must have something about him.

29 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke is keen on loyalty and continuity, but he really should let Taylor go. 

There are a few stragglers that are holding on by the skin of their teeth at the moment. We are very much going through a transitional phase.

As much as I love all of these players, I think they will be excluded sooner rather than later to make way for the next batch of talent: Taylor, Gallagher, McLean. O'Donnell probably won't be far behind either. Again, I like all 4 them, but they have a lot of quality players behind them making claims for their spot.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Clarke is keen on loyalty and continuity, but he really should let Taylor go. 

agreed but I don't believe he's there just because he played for Killie, I assume the thinking is Taylor is cover for RObertson. If he gets injured there's no need to move Tierney from LCB

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hickey surely is in line to take Greg Taylor’s place.

The bizarre 3rd left back spot that exists to give a Kilmarnock associated player a game 

Clarke rarely plays with a left back. Would be interesting to see what he would do if Robertson was unavailable. 

16 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Is Ryan fraser still not really in Steve Bruce plans . He rarely starts for them , on the bench tonight and only ever seems to start in cup ties 

I don’t think Bruce will be the Newcastle manager for much longer so it likely doesn’t matter if Fraser is in his plans or not. 

Whether he would impress the new manager if Bruce does leave is another matter. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

As much as I love all of these players, I think they will be excluded sooner rather than later to make way for the next batch of talent: Taylor, Gallagher, McLean. O'Donnell probably won't be far behind either. Again, I like all 4 them, but they have a lot of quality players behind them making claims for their spot.

Skim red and thought you said next bench of talent 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

27 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Skim red and thought you said next bench of talent 

Haha I guess they will be bench talent, at least at the beginning. 

Regarding Taylor, I don't think he'll even be a first choice at Celtic for much longer. I get the impression that Hickey and Doig have a far higher ceiling. If that's the case, it would be more beneficial for them to be Robertson's understudy than Taylor.