Scottish players in action 21/22 - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish players in action 21/22

loanhead-tartan

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

His chance creation stat got massively buffed due to taking every set piece and corner. I'm not playing that down btw as being very good at set pieces is a valuable skill set and one Scotland are missing. I would have him in squad for that alone. We are honking at set piece delivery.

The problem has been when people see this stat, they think it has been through open play alone and he is creating 4/5 chances in open play in 60/70 minutes a game. It has lead to Turnbull being a bit overhyped. 

I'm not saying Turnbull is poor or anything. He is a very promising Scottish midfielder, who is one of the best CM's in the league. He has wonderful technique, a fantastic passing range and a good long range shot him. He has aspects he has to work on like his athleticism and fitness but this will hopefully come as he continues to develop.

I do agree on your point that I don't think he will suit Ange's style as just isn't that type of player. If you're getting a guy who's game isn't about running about like mad and closing down constantly, then he is going to be knackered quickly and the things he is good at will take a dip as he won't have the same energy levels to do them.

He only turned 22 in July. So he's very much still a work in progress. There are plenty of pros that haven't even made their debuts by 21, nevermind 2 YPOTY awards, a season long injury, and a Scotland cap. I think he raised the bar almost too high for himself to maintain that level consistently.

I actually think the Postecoglou style could be the making of him. It's probably his main weakness. So his form might dip for a few weeks while he adjusts, but he will be a more all rounded player by the end of the season. And a fitter one. Assuming he keeps his place in the team.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got told Mc came into existence because the English got fed up writing Mac during the clearances.

All our Mc's cant be of Irish decent?

Weren't the Mc version's the lowers in the clan. I read something about that before. We really don't do enough on Scottish history in School's. It's only the obvious stuff we get taught growing up.

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Jack Mackenzie given the who scored MOM for Aberdeen today, good to see a promising young left back coming through.

Good to see he's a Mac rather than an Mc too, personal hate of mine, reminds me of the clearances.

As a Mac who has always had his name spelled Mc, I can appreciate this.

My School, University and Work all spelled my name Mc. Let me tell you having official documents and letters with your name spelled wrong is a nightmare when dealing with getting new jobs and proving your identity when you need to.

20 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

As a Mac who has always had his name spelled Mc, I can appreciate this.

My School, University and Work all spelled my name Mc. Let me tell you having official documents and letters with your name spelled wrong is a nightmare when dealing with getting new jobs and proving your identity when you need to.

Mc started out as an abbreviation of Mac. There are no Mcs really, there are only Macs.

5 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Got told Mc came into existence because the English got fed up writing Mac during the clearances.

most mac and mc's are os scottish decent,, irish mc's are very noticeable like mcarthy,mcgeady,mcnamara ect... it annoys me greatly when folk assume mcs are irish,,

27 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

most mac and mc's are os scottish decent,, irish mc's are very noticeable like mcarthy,mcgeady,mcnamara ect... it annoys me greatly when folk assume mcs are irish,,

Yeh I have explained this to many ppl who wrongly think that mc is exclusively Irish and mac is scottish. 

There are quite a few theories as to why some ppl have mc and others mac in Scotland. I think it could just be a regional thing, like most of the  names in the Highlands is mac but in towns and cities it seems to be mc that is prevalent unless the person has a recent ancestor from the Highlands. I am thinking this maybe suggests in the 1800s ppl migrating to urban areas we're either given or choose mc instead of mac whereas ppl in the Highlands went with mac. Definitely growing up in the Highlands myself mac was way more prevalent than mc. 

13 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Actually it was down to whatever officials (usually non-gaels) were in the habit of writing down in documents such as births deaths marriages or census. Could be Mac, Mc or often M' . Could be a capital or not at the next part.

Similar in Ireland.

3 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Wright starts for Rangers against Malmö

Patterson, Kelly, McCrorie, Lowry and Hogarth on the bench.

I go from thinking that theres a good player in Wright to wondering why he is on the park about 20 times per game. If he ca become more consistent and learn about movement etc then he has the attributes.

33 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I go from thinking that theres a good player in Wright to wondering why he is on the park about 20 times per game. If he ca become more consistent and learn about movement etc then he has the attributes.

Was thinking this during the Livingston game. The pundits talked about how good he was but it only seemed to be in little spells to me.

2 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Canary Cast (@CastCanary) Tweeted: This pass from Billy Gilmour tonight was superb🤩 #ncfc #cfc https://t.co/rmopXKLmqB

🙊🙊

He gets rave reviews in just about every game he plays in. I'm super excited to see how he fares in the EPL. If he plays, say, 25+ times we'll start to get a real picture of just how good he is. (Not that I'm doubting his ability)

On 8/4/2021 at 7:44 AM, SWMM82 said:

Canary Cast (@CastCanary) Tweeted: This pass from Billy Gilmour tonight was superb🤩 #ncfc #cfc https://t.co/rmopXKLmqB

🙊🙊

I watched the game.

I appreciate it was only a pre season friendly against Gillingham, but Gilmour was absolutely outstanding. Frighteningly good. 

1 hour ago, mccaughey85 said:

I think the Japanese guy is upfront but I could be wrong. Furuhashi

That's what I get for trusting the BBC pre-match graphic.

Good goals by Forrest & Christie today. Turnbull looks like his confidence is shot, needs a boost.

Just seen Ferguson has scored again for Aberdeen