Union Canal Walks - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Union Canal Walks

Just a quick question really. I am off work this week and with the kids (6&9) being off school I am looking for some activities to do with them. I was thinking of catching the train to Polmont and doing the canal side walk to Linlithgow then train home from there. Anyone on here done this? Any info or advice appreciated - I am assuming the terrain is fairly flat so the kids should manage it fine and apparently the distance between these two points is roughly 6 miles. Again if you've done this does that sound about right? Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

40 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Just a quick question really. I am off work this week and with the kids (6&9) being off school I am looking for some activities to do with them. I was thinking of catching the train to Polmont and doing the canal side walk to Linlithgow then train home from there. Anyone on here done this? Any info or advice appreciated - I am assuming the terrain is fairly flat so the kids should manage it fine and apparently the distance between these two points is roughly 6 miles. Again if you've done this does that sound about right? Any comments appreciated.

Cheers

It's flat all the way. There was some work being done about a mile west of Linlithgow but I think the canal is open again.

You can walk right along the canal and exit it about 200 metres from the train station. I'd say the walk is about 5.5-6 miles. You'll cross the avon acqueduct as well which the kids will like. You can also detour off onto the John Muir way just after you cross the acqueduct onto the river avon heritage trail and that brings you out at Linlithgow bridge and you can just walk into centre of town and train station from there.

Just before the acqueduct is a restaraunt called bridge 49 (I think) you can come off canal to get it to pretty easily. It's a national cycle route as well so be prepared for loads of folk on bikes and also dog walkers.

17 minutes ago, phart said:

It's flat all the way. There was some work being done about a mile west of Linlithgow but I think the canal is open again.

You can walk right along the canal and exit it about 200 metres from the train station. I'd say the walk is about 5.5-6 miles. You'll cross the avon acqueduct as well which the kids will like. You can also detour off onto the John Muir way just after you cross the acqueduct onto the river avon heritage trail and that brings you out at Linlithgow bridge and you can just walk into centre of town and train station from there.

Just before the acqueduct is a restaraunt called bridge 49 (I think) you can come off canal to get it to pretty easily. It's a national cycle route as well so be prepared for loads of folk on bikes and also dog walkers.

Excellent info. Thanks very much mate.

Had a great time doing this today. Kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves too. The Aqueduct definitely the highlight. One of my better ideas. Anyone else looking for activities during the holidays I'd recommend this. Very flat so suitable for kids from 4 up I'd say.

4 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

Had a great time doing this today. Kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves too. The Aqueduct definitely the highlight. One of my better ideas. Anyone else looking for activities during the holidays I'd recommend this. Very flat so suitable for kids from 4 up I'd say.

I strolled along the canal from basin to the sports centre and back again a couple of times today!

Basin is where you would have got off to go to train station and sports centre is 2k away from that towards Polmont.

Edited by phart

Yeah, when we passed the Sports Centre I knew our walk would be coming to an end. Remembered playing football there many years ago. Later on during the kids holiday we are going to start at Linlithgow and walk to Falkirk High. Looking forward to that.