2011 Squad vs. 2021 Squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

2011 Squad vs. 2021 Squad

ErsatzThistle

8 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Striker doesn't worry me as much as a year ago. Dykes and Adams are decent players and suit Clarke's style. Nesbitt seems like the type of player who will develop each time he takes a step up in level. Nesbitt's next move is key, I hope it isn't to Rangers or Celtic. While unlikely McBurnie could eventually grow up and get his shit together (no laughing in the back).

I'm not overly worried about the striker either. Your striker doesn't necessarily need to be prolific, as long as the all round game contributes to the team. What worries me is that Clarke seems now to prefer playing 2 strikers. Again, that would be fine if they were linking up to score goals. However, Adams and Dykes have played around 4 full games together, (including sub appearances), and have combined to score a grand total of once against Luxembourg. I know that isn't a huge volume of games, and it may turn out to work.

But, arguably, our second strongest position is our attacking midfielders. Playing 2 non-scoring strikers means we are dropping 1 creative midfielder. And playing 5 at the back means we lose another midfielder.

I'm not against the current system, but it woefully under utilities our attacking mids. Fraser and Turnbull are far too good to be used as much as they were.

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm not overly worried about the striker either. Your striker doesn't necessarily need to be prolific, as long as the all round game contributes to the team. What worries me is that Clarke seems now to prefer playing 2 strikers. Again, that would be fine if they were linking up to score goals. However, Adams and Dykes have played around 4 full games together, (including sub appearances), and have combined to score a grand total of once against Luxembourg. I know that isn't a huge volume of games, and it may turn out to work.

But, arguably, our second strongest position is our attacking midfielders. Playing 2 non-scoring strikers means we are dropping 1 creative midfielder. And playing 5 at the back means we lose another midfielder.

I'm not against the current system, but it woefully under utilities our attacking mids. Fraser and Turnbull are far too good to be used as much as they were.

Hard to argue with that.