Striker curse - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Striker curse

Tartan blood

5 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think the colt teams would be great. Better for the quality of our game as a whole, but stopped by self interest amongst the wee teams.

Have the Colts been cancelled? I must have missed that.

From a financial point of view, all the teams playing them would benefit. I'm not sure how the gate money is divided, or if the Celtic/Rangers TV have to give the teams a cut, but if they do, surely they'll benefit? It also gives their own players more exposure to scouts. 

I can see why some would disagree on a fairness point of view, but I think it will benefit Scottish football on the whole. In fact, I'd like to see an Aberdeen and Dundee Utd Colts teams as well. They've produced a few players in and around the current squad as well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst money has largely ruined the game and widened the gap between the haves and have not, you'd think it would be huge motivator for a 16/17 year old to screw the nut and dedicate themselves a bit more.

even a handful of years in the championship or epl can turn into earnings well into 7 figures - that's never have to work again (if wise), life changing money.

i dont know what armstrong is on a southamption, but he will likely retire having earned at a guess around £15-20m..!!!

the rewards are eye-watering for these young players - you often see man city youth team players (who clearly are exceptional) buying 3m houses - just think on the appreciation on that over the course of a career...

3 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Ive said before but Scotland is almost unique in that it is a small nation but with 2 massive clubs who attract considerable media attention and pay very good wages.

Take Denmark as a direct comparison. A good prospect who breaks into the league is looking to establish himself then move to one of Europes top leagues as there isnt alot of money to be made in Denmark or major interest. Even players breaking through at Brondby or Copenhagen dont look to stay long.

But in Scotland its not unusual for prospects to move to the Old Firm or for Old Firm players to stay well into their mid 20s.

At the Old Firm you can win medals, play in Europe, be setup for life in terms of supporters clubs / media jobs etc and make about 30k per week. Its easy to see why some then dont have the immediete desire to move on.

Couldnt agree more on this. Our media make out rangers and celtic are European powers but in reality they are not however the rewards can be great but again for a top footballer they are not. Our players are hindered by lack of ambition.  Plus the teams they are playing every week are not much gd as is proven with results in europe every year. If you look at the number of scots in teams as well it is ridiculously low. Our league champions for instance only had 2 players eligible for the national team. Over last 10 years all Celtic players have been scared to test themselves and achieve more but on other side of the coin they have obviously been happy and made 30 to 40k a week so who are we to criticise?  I 100% believe if big 2 were out it would change our football so much as the money would be less for rest and so more youngsters would obviously get played.  

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Have the Colts been cancelled? I must have missed that.

SPFL teams rejected it so they're playing in the Lowland League this coming season. Think there's more talks about them joining an expanded SPFL in the 22/23 season

2 hours ago, gaz7 said:

Couldnt agree more on this. Our media make out rangers and celtic are European powers but in reality they are not however the rewards can be great but again for a top footballer they are not. Our players are hindered by lack of ambition.  Plus the teams they are playing every week are not much gd as is proven with results in europe every year. If you look at the number of scots in teams as well it is ridiculously low. Our league champions for instance only had 2 players eligible for the national team. Over last 10 years all Celtic players have been scared to test themselves and achieve more but on other side of the coin they have obviously been happy and made 30 to 40k a week so who are we to criticise?  I 100% believe if big 2 were out it would change our football so much as the money would be less for rest and so more youngsters would obviously get played.  

I think the biggest change if the Old Firm didnt play in Scottish league would be that promising players would leave alot sooner to go elsewhere and in turn need to be alot more dedicated to make the grade.

You simply dont break break through at teams like Chelsea unless you are the very best of the best. 

Standards in Scotland are simply lower than the top level. The Old Firm just need to be fitter than Aberdeen / Hibs who in turn just need to be fitter than Motherwell etc and so on. Every player at every full time club should be as fit as any player at Man Utd or Real Madrid. There is zero excuse.

49 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

I think the biggest change if the Old Firm didnt play in Scottish league would be that promising players would leave alot sooner to go elsewhere and in turn need to be alot more dedicated to make the grade.

You simply dont break break through at teams like Chelsea unless you are the very best of the best. 

Standards in Scotland are simply lower than the top level. The Old Firm just need to be fitter than Aberdeen / Hibs who in turn just need to be fitter than Motherwell etc and so on. Every player at every full time club should be as fit as any player at Man Utd or Real Madrid. There is zero excuse.

as govan's finest said in his never give in doc, working hard is a talent, so not as simple as what you are saying. the players at the top aren't there purely on footballing technical ability, they are (close to) the complete package between attitude, ability, footballing intelligence, professionalism, work ethic etc. thats why players, in principle, get fitter higher up the ladder they get (clearly resources is part of that equation too - and man utd, cr7 had his own personal chef to cater to his specific meals and diet requirements - that option isnt available to most in scotland).

5 minutes ago, Boynze said:

as govan's finest said in his never give in doc, working hard is a talent, so not as simple as what you are saying. the players at the top aren't there purely on footballing technical ability, they are (close to) the complete package between attitude, ability, footballing intelligence, professionalism, work ethic etc. thats why players, in principle, get fitter higher up the ladder they get (clearly resources is part of that equation too - and man utd, cr7 had his own personal chef to cater to his specific meals and diet requirements - that option isnt available to most in scotland).

Having your own personal chef is one of the marginal gains that gives Ronaldo the extra one or two percent that enabled him to go from being a very good player to one of the greatest ever.  It also points to an overall commitment to excellence in everything which is probably the reason why he was the player he was.

in contrast I don’t think it’s too much to expect young up and coming Scottish players to stay off the bevvy and deep fried pizza suppers and to basically behave like professional athletes.   

You don’t need personal chefs to do that.

Just now, aaid said:

Having your own personal chef is one of the marginal gains that gives Ronaldo the extra one or two percent that enabled him to go from being a very good player to one of the greatest ever.  It also points to an overall commitment to excellence in everything which is probably the reason why he was the player he was.

in contrast I don’t think it’s too much to expect young up and coming Scottish players to stay off the bevvy and deep fried pizza suppers and to basically behave like professional athletes.   

You don’t need personal chefs to do that.

of course not, but the wider point was around the difference between the players at the top versus our lot - their commitment to excellence is part of the reason they are there, not the other way round.

agree, not too much to expect our players to stay off drink and unhealthy foods, especially when young and trying to form new habits, but wouldn't expect them to be as fit as other at the top level, not as a rule anyway.

1 hour ago, Boynze said:

of course not, but the wider point was around the difference between the players at the top versus our lot - their commitment to excellence is part of the reason they are there, not the other way round.

agree, not too much to expect our players to stay off drink and unhealthy foods, especially when young and trying to form new habits, but wouldn't expect them to be as fit as other at the top level, not as a rule anyway.

My point is though that if the Old Firm didnt play in Scotland then any young prospect would have to achieve these levels to make good money. Currently they dont. All they need to be is fitter than the rest of the league. 

Dedication partly comes from neccesity. If you have the option of earning 20k per week for being kinda fit or 20k per week for being super fit, theres alot of people who will take the first option. If the only option is super fit to get the same 20k per week then alot more would do what it takes.