Striker curse - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Striker curse

Tartan blood

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely we are due a really good striker, the laws of averages suggest we should eventually produce a brilliant striker. 

Aberdeens last three main strikers 

A one cap irishman

A Carlisle United youth team product

A 3 cap American 

There in lies some of the problem 

Striker isbone of the hardest positions to master. We have always had talented strikers but none that have wanted to work on their game.

A big part of that is the player attitude but also the clubs attitude. When a striker is scoring goals for fun thats all they care about but they should be making the player do extra sessions, working on weaknesses etc

Ultimately when the players move up in quality they get found out. 

18 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Surely we are due a really good striker, the laws of averages suggest we should eventually produce a brilliant striker. 

I’m excited by the online mutterings from Ibrox about the 15 year old striker, who is seemingly in the Gilmour bracket. Rooney made his debut at 16, I think. Anyway, time will tell. 

Edited by er yir macaroon

I blame ma mum and dad. I was an incredible footballer, "The Scotsman". fact. If I had never left Scotland, I would have had the proper training and went on to be a Scottish legend, you would have never even heard of Ally McCoist... Probably would have won a couple "ballon on dor" anaw.. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

40 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I’m excited by the online mutterings from Ibrox about the 15 year old striker, who is seemingly in the Gilmour bracket. Rooney made his debut at 16, I think. Anyway, time will tell. 

Whats his name, the rangers lads on here seem to have high hopes about every Tom, dick and Harry in their youth teams. 

38 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Whats his name, the rangers lads on here seem to have high hopes about every Tom, dick and Harry in their youth teams. 

To be fair to them there’s a serious crop of young players coming through there just now

19 hours ago, Bino's said:

A one cap irishman

A 3 cap American 

That basically sums it up indeed. 

Norway produce a Haaland because they play young players from 16 in their clubs first team.

We are now seeing our clubs do this due to the pandemic & 5 games in to his career 16 year old Kerr Smith has his pick of EPL offers.

Hopefully we see more of this now. 

22 hours ago, Bino's said:

A one cap irishman

A 3 cap American 

Fallen far from the days of Black, McGhee and McDougall. Had high hopes for Joe Miller as well. Heck even Steve Cowan or Willie Falconer would be an option up front now.

1 hour ago, Hertsscot said:

Fallen far from the days of Black, McGhee and McDougall. Had high hopes for Joe Miller as well. Heck even Steve Cowan or Willie Falconer would be an option up front now.

Scott booth

Eoin jess

Just stopped developing youth players as has so many other clubs

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That basically sums it up indeed. 

Norway produce a Haaland because they play young players from 16 in their clubs first team.

We are now seeing our clubs do this due to the pandemic & 5 games in to his career 16 year old Kerr Smith has his pick of EPL offers.

Hopefully we see more of this now. 

But still not enough; clubs like Livingston and St Johnstone just this week are signing up loan players from England or from league one or even two. This has to stop, in favour of Scottish youths. 

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

But still not enough; clubs like Livingston and St Johnstone just this week are signing up loan players from England or from league one or even two. This has to stop, in favour of Scottish youths. 

Stephen Robinson and Craig Levein were two of the worst for this kind of thing. At one stage packing their respective Motherwell and Hearts teams with crap players from English Championship and League One sides rather than give the youth team prospects a run out.

A few weeks before he was sacked/invited to resign Derek McInnes was in one of the papers wanking himself into a frenzy of excitement over a recent scouting trip to England to watch Championship and League One players he hoped too bring up the road.

Then you might have the likes of Rotherham and MK Dons cherrypicking St Johnstone's best players like McCart, Rooney and Kerr.

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

To be fair to them there’s a serious crop of young players coming through there just now

Yeh that remains to be seen, once we see a few of them break through at a decent level then we might get an idea if theyre any good. Seen plenty of young old firm players get hyped up over the years and then turn into nothing. 

6 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Heard that one ten years ago about John Fleck, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde, Jamie Ness, Darren Cole and Kyle Hutton.

Look what happened to them.

I remember the exact same buzz from c. 2006/07 regarding young Celtic lads Paul Caddis, Simon Ferry, Charlie Grant, Scott Cuthbert, Paul McGowan and Ryan Conroy.

Be careful about building up young Scots, especially those at the Old Firm. It often ends in tears.

On 7/2/2021 at 7:18 PM, scotlad said:

Our current side is crying out for a Kenny Miller or a James McFadden, a player who was capable of creating something out of nothing.

Unlike some other forwards we've had they were both able to score against top quality opponents, not just diddy teams.

That's a wee bit unfair on Robbie Keane, I feel. He wasn't world class but he wasn't far off it.  Look at the kind of clubs he played for when he was in his prime - Inter Milan, Liverpool, Tottenham, Leeds United - you don't get signed by those those kind of clubs unless you're very good - and not forgetting his brief spell on loan for a pish Celtic side where he scored for fun.

I agree with the bit about the bam strikers though, although Jason Cummings is nothing special (but definitely a bam!) and Griffiths, to me, just seems like a bit of a dafty who has some demons rather than an actual ned.

Griffiths probably fulfilled his potential but Riordan most certainly didn't. This was someone who, early in his career, scored around 20 goals a season, every season, and mostly from a wide midfield position. His first touch was excellent and he could score with either foot, with his head, from free kicks, from long range, from tap-ins - you name it.  Unfortunately he was also a fucking idiot who's career fizzled out the second he signed for Celtic.

Garry O'Connor, Riordan's mate, wasn't quite as naturally gifted but he was as naturally daft.  If the pair of them had had an ounce of sense between them they could have been Scotland's front two for the better part of a decade.  What a sad waste.

Indeed, to be honest just find the Griffiths situation sad. By the sounds of Neil Lennon's interview on Sportsound a couple of weeks ago he doesn't have any motivation. There were multiple chances in our Euros matches (especially second half v the Czechs) you'd have been confident a 2017 Griffiths would have taken had he been on the park.

So disappointing his Scotland career went downhill a few months after he started scoring for us.

7 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Heard that one ten years ago about John Fleck, Danny Wilson, Gregg Wylde, Jamie Ness, Darren Cole and Kyle Hutton.

I remember the exact same buzz from c. 2006/07 regarding young Celtic lads Paul Caddis, Simon Ferry, Charlie Grant, Scott Cuthbert, Paul McGowan and Ryan Conroy.

Be careful about building up young Scots, especially those at the Old Firm. It often ends in tears.

True. Gilmour and Patterson were not hype though and have been on the radar for at 3 or 4 years. Leon King isn’t hype either. Not seen Wilson, but it’s a case of fingers crossed. The other young Rangers players have not convinced me as yet, although there’s no doubt some of them have a good chance. 

9 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

I do get your point but I think there is some real talent in amongst this group;

Robby McCrorie, Leon King, Lewis Mayo, Ben Williamson, Stephen Kelly, Kai Kennedy, Josh McPake & Glenn Middleton

Most of those players will go on loan at a good level this year and we can gauge where they are at, Stephen Kelly could make his breakthrough this season at Rangers. 

It's not just strikers though; we seem to not be producing wide players (hesitate to call them wingers). Currently we have Forrest and Fraser but where are their successors? McPake, Kennedy and Middleton I have fingers crossed for though. Mind you, they are all left-footed and I haven't seen a right-sided 'winger' come through in recent seasons. Scotland used to be legendary for producing Sancho and Sterling types - one reason why they are performing better in the Euros than us.

13 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

You're right to be cynical. We have certainly been guilty of that in the past. Jack Harper being the best example, where we propelled him to superstardom before anyone had even seen him play.

However, I think we have moved past that speculative hope. There is nothing wrong with keeping tabs on promising youths, but we can now base our speculation on actual game time. Most recently Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull. We were basing our hopes on senior first team evidence, rather than just hearsay. I think 2004-2007 was the last time we did have a large batch come through and fulfil some of their potential. It's been dribs and drabs since then.