England - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

GaryWood34

47 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I sometimes wonder - and I'm not being facetious here - if George Galloway is actually insane.

Look at what he's put there, it's illogical.  He seems to be saying we shouldn't have cheered when Rashford, Sancho and Saka missed their penalities because they are black.  Surely treating them differently from their white teammates due to their skin colour not the very definition of racism?  

I think those of us who cheered on Italy last night against England and indulged in a wee bit of schadenfreude over their eventual defeat did what some of England's own fans weren't able to do: we saw every player in a white shirt as English, paying no attention to his ethnicity.

Galloway uses the term 'colour-blind' as a criticism; it's a shame more England fans weren't.

Of course he should, but he likes to flirt with populism nowadays.

It's terrible that those lads have been criticised in that way but it's surprising that so many people seem genuinely shocked that it happened.

People talk about the England team representing "the England we all live in" but for a lot of people it doesn't. Much of England isn't all that diverse. We've all seen video clips of fans celebrating in fan zones and beer gardens (or trashing London and punching fuck out of each other) and non-white faces are scarce.

John Barnes was interviewed on Newsnight last week and he said - I'm paraphrasing here - that black players are accepted until they mess up, then the abuse starts.

He's eccentric in a very negative kind of way. Maybe not a full blown mental health problem but he's defo someone who seems to be getting stranger and stranger in his behaviour over the years. 

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. Galloway is in a different category from Andrew Neil and Neil Oliver, who are at least logical and consistent, although being not football people, both missing the normal logic of local rivalry. 

But Galloway seems to construct a cartoon fantasy world of goodies and baddies, but where he is a shapeshifter hero deploying different arguments to attack different baddies on different occasions. Shoulder to shoulder with landowners in one election, then solidarity with the 'workers' in the next. 

13 hours ago, exile said:

Exhibit B

image.png.d8bab0a462b9a32e9897f3e53bf1c4cc.png

Who wouldn't shed a tear for Mr Neil, who so loves England he calls them "we", and so identifies with their cause that he shares their hurt piled on top of any hurt he feels for Scotland crashing out.

A grown man reduced to childish insults.

image.png.58cc8685fa1f2521f4332c785c1428b0.png

8 hours ago, daviebee said:

George Galloway making a complete and utter tit of himself.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I desperately wanted Kane and Maguire to miss their penalties just as much as Rashford, Sancho and Saka.  "Still wet with tears" FFS! :lol: :lol: :lol:   What a total fkin roaster!

image.png

At least no one in their right mind takes George Galloway serious. Andrew Neil on the other hand is still seen as a respectable presenter , even if he creates antagonism . 

Calling someone a Nat Twat just makes him look pathetic, you would think he could come up with something a bit more articulate. The guy obviously touched a nerve. 
I remember reading an article by Neil’s former colleague A A Gill who said that Neil called Gill a ‘reel Scot’ for his romantic views of Scotland, whereas Neil described himself as a ‘real’ Scot. No real Scot would ever talk about England as ‘we’ , most definitely not in a footballing sense . 

Well they haven’t covered themselves in glory here have they.

Before the game 

hundreds breaking in to the stadium and then fights breaking out 

kids being punched 

riot please required in city centre 

battering each other 

Wembley way wrecked 

Naked folk putting fireworks in their arse

during the game

booing Italian anthems 

chucking it after scoring after a minute - their only shot on target in 130+ mins of football

making 2 subs in 119 mins who both miss their penalties and cost them it

start to boo the team for misplaced passes 

Around 60% leave the stadium and don’t watch medal ceremony 

after the game

multiple arrests 

riot police required 

Italians abused 

Sickening racism towards their own players 

f1 race car driver watch stolen inside Wembley 

Blame game beginning immediately with pundits losing their minds and putting the boot in to Sir Gareth

Opposition fans battered and even slashed after the full time whistle (daily record)  

Disgusting. It’s not new though is it - don’t know why the media (who are actually reporting it) are acting surprised.

Vile.

Edited by GaryWood34

3 hours ago, exile said:

Yes. Galloway is in a different category from Andrew Neil and Neil Oliver, who are at least logical and consistent, although being not football people, both missing the normal logic of local rivalry. 

But Galloway seems to construct a cartoon fantasy world of goodies and baddies, but where he is a shapeshifter hero deploying different arguments to attack different baddies on different occasions. Shoulder to shoulder with landowners in one election, then solidarity with the 'workers' in the next. 

That's a good summation of Galloway who , perversely, I've agreed with at times.

3 hours ago, exile said:

Very well put.

Galloway's modus operandi is to deliver politics at its very worst. Essentially he identifies some kind of distinction between groups of people and turns it into an issue, essentially trying to turn folk against each other.

In Scotland, in the Holyrood election a couple of months ago, he used the constitutional issue; during the independence referendum he went to Coatbridge, a town with a large Roman Catholic community, and used sectarianism as an issue; when he stands in areas in England with large Muslim populations he will try and exploit that. As Ian Brown once sang "your a social chameleon, you change to suit the people around you".

I was being generous to him by doubting his sanity; if he actually knows what he's doing then that's infinitely worse. He's poisonous.

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

At least no one in their right mind takes George Galloway serious. Andrew Neil on the other hand is still seen as a respectable presenter , even if he creates antagonism . 

Calling someone a Nat Twat just makes him look pathetic, you would think he could come up with something a bit more articulate. The guy obviously touched a nerve. 
I remember reading an article by Neil’s former colleague A A Gill who said that Neil called Gill a ‘reel Scot’ for his romantic views of Scotland, whereas Neil described himself as a ‘real’ Scot. No real Scot would ever talk about England as ‘we’ , most definitely not in a footballing sense . 

It really is. He's an articulate, intelligent man, surely he can do a wee bit better than that. He's basically a playground bully though, insulting and attacking people in front of an audience so everyone can see how tough he is.

Maybe A.A Gill's view of Scotland was romanticised but it's no less inaccurate than Neil's relentlessly negative view of the place.

16 hours ago, exile said:

..and who can forget Sadam's 'indefatigability....'

On 7/12/2021 at 8:43 PM, scotlad said:

It's quite depressing how everything in this country is framed through the prism of England (and not just where football is concerned).  If people wanted to support them after we went out, then fine.  If they don't, that's fine too.  If people want to support every team they are playing and jump around like eejits when England lose, then that's fine as well. 

It shouldn't be any kind of faux-pas to not support England, it really shouldn't mean anything.  As far as football goes, England is as foreign to Scotland as Italy, Germany, Brazil or Papua New Guinea, and no one has any kind of obligation to support them unless they want to.  

He's a heinous man, he really is.  An overgrown school bully.  

Perfectly summed up. 

On 7/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, mccaughey85 said:

George Galloway really is a joke figure these days who will say anything and adjust his morals to suit himself. I actually didn't mind him years ago but over the years he seems to just get dafter and more ridiculous. There is nothing racist about Scots wanting England to get beat and nobody cares if it was black lads or white lads who missed. Personally I wasn't even that bothered who won or lost that game of football and I am a nationalist. 

It's also pretty sad how the three penalty missers have been getting racial abuse off their own support. Perhaps Galloway would be better talking about that instead of this fantasy he's conjured up in his head. 

Good Post. George was a likeable character at his peak but his day has long home.. 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:10 AM, GaryWood34 said:

Well they haven’t covered themselves in glory here have they.

Before the game 

hundreds breaking in to the stadium and then fights breaking out 

kids being punched 

riot please required in city centre 

battering each other 

Wembley way wrecked 

Naked folk putting fireworks in their arse

during the game

booing Italian anthems 

chucking it after scoring after a minute - their only shot on target in 130+ mins of football

making 2 subs in 119 mins who both miss their penalties and cost them it

start to boo the team for misplaced passes 

Around 60% leave the stadium and don’t watch medal ceremony 

after the game

multiple arrests 

riot police required 

Italians abused 

Sickening racism towards their own players 

f1 race car driver watch stolen inside Wembley 

Blame game beginning immediately with pundits losing their minds and putting the boot in to Sir Gareth

Opposition fans battered and even slashed after the full time whistle (daily record)  

Disgusting. It’s not new though is it - don’t know why the media (who are actually reporting it) are acting surprised.

Vile.

I'll add something else: my Italian mate was disgusted that the Royals did not wait for the medal ceremony and the way the crowd left, leaving only Italians and the team at the presentation. That is disrespectful and unsporting.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I'll add something else: my Italian mate was disgusted that the Royals did not wait for the medal ceremony and the way the crowd left, leaving only Italians and the team at the presentation. That is disrespectful and unsporting.

Would imagine having their young son with them had something to do with them leaving. I doubt if many from any country would have hung around for the ceremony 

On 7/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, Third Lanark said:

Don't be too smug though - it will all start up again in twelve months.

Thing is, Qatar is a different fish. No way your average thug will travel. And if they get pished and fight, expect lengthy and harsh jail time.

This isn’t new with England, it’s just the first time it’s happens en masse in London.

See Marseilles (98 & 2016), Dublin, Amsterdam, Algarve in Euro 2004, Madrid and any English club that travels. They are a mob. 

Compare and Contrast Scotland fans and Scotland Clubs (Exception being Rangers (I have a definite alignment theory to their fans and English in general).

We are generally good natured, have a bevvie, mingle with the locals.

Theres a bit of expectation management. We expect to lose, England can’t handle losing. 

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

J

2 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Thing is, Qatar is a different fish. No way your average thug will travel. And if they get pished and fight, expect lengthy and harsh jail time.

This isn’t new with England, it’s just the first time it’s happens en masse in London.

See Marseilles (98 & 2016), Dublin, Amsterdam, Algarve in Euro 2004, Madrid and any English club that travels. They are a mob. 

Compare and Contrast Scotland fans and Scotland Clubs (Exception being Rangers (I have a definite alignment theory to their fans and English in general).

Theres a bit of expectation management. We expect to lose, England can’t handle losing. 

J

Behave yourself. 

Supporters of other Scottish clubs have made an arse of themselves in Europe and at home in recent years. Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs immediately spring to mind. 

Not to mention the mass brawl that happened inside Celtic park at the Ireland game a few years ago that wasn’t reported in the media. 

There’s a wanker element in every group of supporters. 

Edited by Texas Pete

Got round to listening to my football podcasts today, every one of them commented on the trouble inside and outside of the ground. Many saying it was only England’s early goal that stopped total carnage amongst the fans as people argued/jostled and fought with the ticketless mob, happened to a lesser degree at the semi’s which wasn’t reported in the msm. Most of the journalists admitted they’d seen it dozens of times before but usually away from home, many stating England should withdraw from the bidding for 2030 to save embarrassment 

Edited by dan cake

4 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

J

Totally agree but would add that engurlund fans are almost as bad when they win. A weird, uptight bunch who don’t know how to enjoy themselves. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Behave yourself. 

Supporters of other Scottish clubs have made an arse of themselves in Europe and at home in recent years. Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs immediately spring to mind. 

Not to mention the mass brawl that happened inside Celtic park at the Ireland game a few years ago that wasn’t reported in the media. 

There’s a wanker element in every group of supporters. 

Certainly is,and you've just proved the point.