GaryWood34

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I live in England. Do Tesco in Scotland sell Scotland t-shirts as well as England ones? Because down here you only see England ones.

I dont know as I shop in Morrisons,  for convenience . They probably do sell England ones , but hidden away in the dark recesses along with Peter Andre hoodies. 

2 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Exhibit A.....

:lol:

He's exactly the kind of character I had in mind!

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I live in England. Do Tesco in Scotland sell Scotland t-shirts as well as England ones? Because down here you only see England ones.

They certainly had loads of saltires hung up, mainly around where the beer and ciders are kept (my favourite part of the store!) but I can't remember seeing any Scotland or England t-shirts for sale (not that I was really paying attention to that, to be fair).

10 hours ago, in5omniac said:

As much as I enjoyed the outcome as much for the GIRFUY to the commentators and pundits, I guess you have to say well done to them getting that far and it's something we're resigned to only dreaming of unless something unfathomably drastic changes.  Not sure they'd have made the final going down Italy's route of knockout games though.

Still, we kept them at bay in their own back garden and were well worth at least the point.  Denmark, Iceland, Wales, Greece, Croatia and others will always be examples of size/population not necessarily being the factor that prevents success but we possibly have to learn something or change something if we don't want another 23 years in the wilderness.  I realise I've derailed the thread a little bit there but hey ho .

It’s not really population size that’s the issue. It’s more investment in grass roots and facilities that’s the issue although bigger countries are probably more likely to have the finances available to throw money at football so it does tend to be the bigger countries that do well consistently.  We have neglected it for years and are paying the price for it. 

7 hours ago, biffer said:

Took one of my mates to task for this. Pointed out it’s generally people who have a passing interest, or are casual fans, or swept up in the national fervour who say we should be supporting them. If you speak to football fans down south, guys who go regularly to games, travel to away matches, have season tickets, they wouldn’t expect us to support them. Because they understand that sport, but particularly football, is built on rivalry and competition. If it wasn’t for that deeply embedded rivalry, football wouldn’t generate the atmosphere it does, the passion at a national level wouldn’t be there - and ironically those people who tell us we should be supporting them wouldn’t be interested because it wouldn’t be such a huge thing. When you’re invested in supporting a team, you can’t just put a rivalry aside for a few hours. That doesn’t make people who are invested better supporters or anything like that, but unless you’ve been involved like that, I don’t think you truly understand why people can’t just put it aside. 

6 hours ago, scotlad said:

Possibly the worst thing about international football is when people who have no interest in the actual sport of football piggyback onto it to try and push their own - usually political - agendas.

For some, it's non football and non political people, who seem to have got caught up in the England hype beamed into our living rooms via TV news, adverts and radio... who think just because 'they're a good bunch of lads' , diverse, charitable, etc. - they should be supported. But for all we know the Dutch or the North Macedonians are also diverse and give to good causes and decent human beings, but we never hear about them! 

And then there are politicians, of all stripes. Unionists who want to appear proudly British in supporting "another British team", and also keen to brand independence supporters as 'nasty nationalists' and Anglophobic at every possible opportunity. And on the other side, pro-indy public figures who are so determined to not appear to be 'nasty nationalists' that they go out of their way to (pretend to) support England. 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

This guy is an embarrassment and has no football awareness whatsoever . Has the bloody cheek to criticise Scotland fans for booing GSTQ when England fans have booed almost every national anthem of the tournament. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/euro-2020-why-its-time-for-scotland-fans-to-ditch-anyone-but-england-for-good-brian-monteith-3303970%3famp

We boo GSTQ because it’s insulting to Scotland. They boo every national anthem because they are bellends. 

4 hours ago, Dave78 said:

Exhibit A.....

Exhibit B

image.png.d8bab0a462b9a32e9897f3e53bf1c4cc.png

Who wouldn't shed a tear for Mr Neil, who so loves England he calls them "we", and so identifies with their cause that he shares their hurt piled on top of any hurt he feels for Scotland crashing out.

A grown man reduced to childish insults.

image.png.58cc8685fa1f2521f4332c785c1428b0.png

10 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s not really population size that’s the issue. It’s more investment in grass roots and facilities that’s the issue although bigger countries are probably more likely to have the finances available to throw money at football so it does tend to be the bigger countries that do well consistently.  We have neglected it for years and are paying the price for it. 

England have also benefited from immigration.  The irony of course being that the present Government  would have probably not wanted their grand  / parents to come to England. The hypocrisy of Priti Patel.

13 minutes ago, exile said:

Exhibit B

image.png.d8bab0a462b9a32e9897f3e53bf1c4cc.png

Who wouldn't shed a tear for Mr Neil, who so loves England he calls them "we", and so identifies with their cause that he shares their hurt piled on top of any hurt he feels for Scotland crashing out.

A grown man reduced to childish insults.

image.png.58cc8685fa1f2521f4332c785c1428b0.png

What on earth would genuine England fans make of a wannabee like Neil? All very embarrassing.

18 hours ago, daviebee said:

Me too, that was funny as fck. Rashford's run-up was the pick of the bunch though. :lol: 

Aye, that was funny. If you are going to fanny aboot in the run up like he did then you really have to score, otherwise you just end up looking like a............ well a fanny, I suppose. :lol:

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Aye, that was funny. If you are going to fanny aboot in the run up like he did then you really have to score, otherwise you just end up looking like a............ well a fanny, I suppose. :lol:

Could have all gone wrong for Jorginho as well. Looked really great penalty against Spain but should have just belted it yesterday.

1 hour ago, exile said:

For some, it's non football and non political people, who seem to have got caught up in the England hype beamed into our living rooms via TV news, adverts and radio... who think just because 'they're a good bunch of lads' , diverse, charitable, etc. - they should be supported. But for all we know the Dutch or the North Macedonians are also diverse and give to good causes and decent human beings, but we never hear about them! 

And then there are politicians, of all stripes. Unionists who want to appear proudly British in supporting "another British team", and also keen to brand independence supporters as 'nasty nationalists' and Anglophobic at every possible opportunity. And on the other side, pro-indy public figures who are so determined to not appear to be 'nasty nationalists' that they go out of their way to (pretend to) support England. 

It's quite depressing how everything in this country is framed through the prism of England (and not just where football is concerned).  If people wanted to support them after we went out, then fine.  If they don't, that's fine too.  If people want to support every team they are playing and jump around like eejits when England lose, then that's fine as well. 

It shouldn't be any kind of faux-pas to not support England, it really shouldn't mean anything.  As far as football goes, England is as foreign to Scotland as Italy, Germany, Brazil or Papua New Guinea, and no one has any kind of obligation to support them unless they want to.  

49 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

What on earth would genuine England fans make of a wannabee like Neil? All very embarrassing.

He's a heinous man, he really is.  An overgrown school bully.  

2 minutes ago, scotlad said:

It's quite depressing how everything in this country is framed through the prism of England (and not just where football is concerned).  If people wanted to support them after we went out, then fine.  If they don't, that's fine too.  If people want to support every team they are playing and jump around like eejits when England lose, then that's fine as well. 

It shouldn't be any kind of faux-pas to not support England, it really shouldn't mean anything.  As far as football goes, England is as foreign to Scotland as Italy, Germany, Brazil or Papua New Guinea, and no one has any kind of obligation to support them unless they want to.  

Exactly. Also, when another country is "England trolling" (see trophy above) they see it as normal banter, or nasty foreigners, or they say "no one likes us, we don't care."

But if a Scottish paper does it they whine about Anglophobia it as if they do care.

With that last "they" I don't mean all England supporters, in fact it's more likely to be non football people.

9 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

This guy is an embarrassment and has no football awareness whatsoever . Has the bloody cheek to criticise Scotland fans for booing GSTQ when England fans have booed almost every national anthem of the tournament. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/euro-2020-why-its-time-for-scotland-fans-to-ditch-anyone-but-england-for-good-brian-monteith-3303970%3famp

What an absolute bellend that guy is.The tartan army can do without creeps like him.Makes my flesh crawl.

George Galloway making a complete and utter tit of himself.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I desperately wanted Kane and Maguire to miss their penalties just as much as Rashford, Sancho and Saka.  "Still wet with tears" FFS! :lol: :lol: :lol:   What a total fkin roaster!

image.png

Edited by daviebee

12 minutes ago, daviebee said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I desperately wanted Kane and Maguire to miss their penalties just as much as Rashford, Sancho and Saka.  "Still wet with tears" FFS! :lol: :lol: :lol:   What a total fkin roaster!

image.png

George Galloway really is a joke figure these days who will say anything and adjust his morals to suit himself. I actually didn't mind him years ago but over the years he seems to just get dafter and more ridiculous. There is nothing racist about Scots wanting England to get beat and nobody cares if it was black lads or white lads who missed. Personally I wasn't even that bothered who won or lost that game of football and I am a nationalist. 

It's also pretty sad how the three penalty missers have been getting racial abuse off their own support. Perhaps Galloway would be better talking about that instead of this fantasy he's conjured up in his head. 

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

George Galloway really is a joke figure these days who will say anything and adjust his morals to suit himself. I actually didn't mind him years ago but over the years he seems to just get dafter and more ridiculous. There is nothing racist about Scots wanting England to get beat and nobody cares if it was black lads or white lads who missed. Personally I wasn't even that bothered who won or lost that game of football and I am a nationalist. 

It's also pretty sad how the three penalty missers have been getting racial abuse off their own support. Perhaps Galloway would be better talking about that instead of this fantasy he's conjured up in his head. 

galloway is a clown that likes the sound of his own voice.  Tries to contrive controversy wherever possible, but as you say, now a joke, parody figure in politics.

49 minutes ago, daviebee said:

image.png

I sometimes wonder - and I'm not being facetious here - if George Galloway is actually insane.

Look at what he's put there, it's illogical.  He seems to be saying we shouldn't have cheered when Rashford, Sancho and Saka missed their penalities because they are black.  Surely treating them differently from their white teammates due to their skin colour not the very definition of racism?  

I think those of us who cheered on Italy last night against England and indulged in a wee bit of schadenfreude over their eventual defeat did what some of England's own fans weren't able to do: we saw every player in a white shirt as English, paying no attention to his ethnicity.

Galloway uses the term 'colour-blind' as a criticism; it's a shame more England fans weren't.

29 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Of course he should, but he likes to flirt with populism nowadays.

It's terrible that those lads have been criticised in that way but it's surprising that so many people seem genuinely shocked that it happened.

People talk about the England team representing "the England we all live in" but for a lot of people it doesn't. Much of England isn't all that diverse. We've all seen video clips of fans celebrating in fan zones and beer gardens (or trashing London and punching fuck out of each other) and non-white faces are scarce.

John Barnes was interviewed on Newsnight last week and he said - I'm paraphrasing here - that black players are accepted until they mess up, then the abuse starts.