England - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

GaryWood34

If we are really honest, we are jealous of the Nobbys. If our lot could amass half as many 1-0 wins as England under southgate have done, I for one would be delighted. I also envy their physical condition. We need to develop more players who can play 120 minutes. Patterson and Tierney are in that mould but we need more.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s creeping into the game and it makes watching increasingly difficult. They are gonna need to change the rules at some point because it’s ruining the game. 

They changed the rules to allow it to happen, in the first place. Diving has been a part our our game for as long as I can remember, but it's now officially allowed and referees decide what is a "good" dive and what is a "bad" dive. It's why I see football as barely a sport anymore. It's on a par with ice dancing and dressage. Games are decided on the officials deciding how good players are at falling over. 

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Yes, and we shouldn't forget that we once had our own Hand of God: Joe Jordan did exactly what Maradona did - against Wales in 1978, though Dalglish later scored a fine goal.

Aye, but the English make the same argument about the Russian linesman...  Wales might not have bombed forward and given Kenny the freedom of anfield.

14 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Aye, but the English make the same argument about the Russian linesman...  Wales might not have bombed forward and given Kenny the freedom of anfield.

Not sure I follow: are you saying if the goals had not been given the other teams would not have attacked?

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Kane must have slipped on his own slevers about 50 times last night.

I suppose if your chin is so disproportionately large compared to the rest of your body it might make keeping your balance a bit more difficult than a person with a normal face.

43 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Good.

Expell them from the tournament and award Denmark a 2-0 win. Everyone's happy.  👍

2 hours ago, morrie21 said:

It was a mistake from the referee. He could have not awarded it then had the VAR ask him to look again on the screen. I think that would have been his best course of action. Easy to say when not caught up in the heat of the moment. As for them celebrating it I used it as a line in the sand moment by saying they now can't ever complain about things when they fall victim to it in future.

Well aye that's a given 

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

That's on Wales though, isn't it?  They made the tactical decision to flood forward, no one made them do it.

(The penalty that night was a disgraceful decision though, tbf!)

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

They changed the rules to allow it to happen, in the first place. Diving has been a part our our game for as long as I can remember, but it's now officially allowed and referees decide what is a "good" dive and what is a "bad" dive. It's why I see football as barely a sport anymore. It's on a par with ice dancing and dressage. Games are decided on the officials deciding how good players are at falling over. 

It's equivalent to a guy putting the black ball over pocket when opponents back turned 

The penalty was a disgrace but it wasn’t the only time they dived/fell over, Sterling & Grealish both had a good few other pitiful falls but Kane was at it the whole game, sure he’ll fit in well at the likes of Real Madrid with his good & disgraceful talents, what a role model for kids to look up to.

Beyond caring now, fair play to them. Would love to feel how England fans are feeling now, but we'll never get that chance unfortunately. Light years ahead of us in development, whilst we're clinging onto hope with one or two lads every year or two, making it out of the performance schools (which I still don't hold much hope for)

49 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Not sure I follow: are you saying if the goals had not been given the other teams would not have attacked?

yeah, if the penalty had not been given Wales wouldn’t have had to attack therefore less likely to have conceded the second.  Same as England... if third non goal hadn’t been given, the Germans wouldn’t have had to push forward leaving gaps for the fourth.

so the argument of two goal difference after a disputed goal doesn’t really stand.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Beyond caring now, fair play to them. Would love to feel how England fans are feeling now, but we'll never get that chance unfortunately. Light years ahead of us in development, whilst we're clinging onto hope with one or two lads every year or two, making it out of the performance schools (which I still don't hold much hope for)

I'm kinda the same. 

If they win, they win. If it wasn't for the media shoving it down your throat, i don't think i'd overly care. 

Stark contract from the team with Terry, Rooney, Lampard, Beckham etc. 

This viewpoint of "he felt contact so was entitled to go down" is ruining the game.  The only time you're "entitled to go down" is when the contact was strong enough that you were physically unable to stay on your feet.

18 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

This viewpoint of "he felt contact so was entitled to go down" is ruining the game.  The only time you're "entitled to go down" is when the contact was strong enough that you were physically unable to stay on your feet.

Correct. It seems almost universal amongst commentators on these islands though. Certainly among idiot summarisers like Murphy, McCoist, Jenas etc

1 minute ago, duncan II said:

Correct. It seems almost universal amongst commentators on these islands though. Certainly among idiot summarisers like Murphy, McCoist, Jenas etc

Ps. I don’t think McCoist or Jenas are actual idiots, just their expressed views on things like this. Murphy, however, is an imbecile.

29 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Great post. Suns it up really..

I'm not a huge fan of VAR as it seems t be implemented mainly to rule out goals for fractional offsides. Maybe instead of that they should use it when the ref is suspicious that someone dived.

The current situation doesn't work. If the ref thinks someone dived he's still unlikely to book him because he's not 100% sure. I'd like this to be applied all over the park with a yellow going to anyone shown to be diving on the playback. That would quickly make players think twice beforehand.

If anyone's seen any Copa America games, the diving's reached pandemic levels over there and the referees just continually encourage it with their officiating. Something needs to be done. I

feel bad for Denmark, Sterling did exactly the same thing near the end against us and I'd have been furious if they'd have won against us because refs can't stand up to known cheats.

5 hours ago, Nobby said:

Cheating in football and most team sports has existed since they began. Hacking someone down when through on goal. Stopping a ball on the line with your arm. What happened last night was a defender made contact with a player in the box without getting the ball and the player went down and the ref gave a penalty. It happened years ago and will continue to happen. You call it cheating others call it playing the game. You might not like it but that’s football in 2021
Nicking  a wallet is theft and against the law, going down in the penalty box because a defender made contact isn’t. I would totally agree that it was a soft penalty and years ago it would never have been given but in today’s game it can and was given. 
if you want ethical validity take up chess because it has never existed in the game of football. Granted there are moments when individuals show great sportsmanship and that is to be applauded, but I refer to my previous comment that most on here would be pissing themselves laughing if that penalty was given the other way. Karma is a bitch and we are up against the masters of gamesmanship on Sunday so look forward to Italy returning the favour on us 😉

You’re right that it can go either way but I do believe that Sterling has now developed the intent in his behaviour to be considered a serial cheat. This is the man that got booked for diving in a friendly against Nigeria for gods sake. He’s clearly someone not to be trusted and will have to live with that reputation for the rest of his life in much the same way as Maradona did. How he deals with that in his dark alone moments will be for him to wrestle with.

The sad part is this serial behaviour, by whoever, does make you question whether it’s worth investing the emotional effort is a sport. 

1 hour ago, Fairbairn said:

My favourite is how they all hate Neymar for it but love Kane for being halfway down before he is even touched.

I really dislike Kane. Goes down at the slightest bit of contact and is the master of backing into a player as they jump for a header, to make it look like they are climbing over him. He gets a freekick and the opposition player nearly breaks his neck. Incredibly dangerous play and he gets away with it every time.

But he's white, English, doesn't kick his feet out for his dives or scream like he has been shot. So he gets a pass.

Sterling is a bit of a diver but he's a small nimble wide player. It's to be expected. Kane is a 6"3/4 physical striker.

I do enjoy how they rationale it though that it's happened to them for years, so they are entitled to do it themselves. This EURO's and the last world cup all they did was be very physical out of possession and fall over at the slightest contact in possession. 

8 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

My favourite is how they all hate Neymar for it but love Kane for being halfway down before he is even touched.

I really dislike Kane. Goes down at the slightest bit of contact and is the master of backing into a player as they jump for a header, to make it look like they are climbing over him. He gets a freekick and the opposition player nearly breaks his neck. Incredibly dangerous play and he gets away with it every time.

But he's white, English, doesn't kick his feet out for his dives or scream like he has been shot. So he gets a pass.

Sterling is a bit of a diver but he's a small nimble wide player. It's to be expected. Kane is a 6"3/4 physical striker.

I do enjoy how they rationale it though that it's happened to them for years, so they are entitled to do it themselves. This EURO's and the last world cup all they did was be very physical out of possession and fall over at the slightest contact in possession. 

Alan Shearer used to do that too (and always had a wee hissy fit if the ref didn't buy it!) but Kane has taken it to a new level.

36 minutes ago, COLT NY said:

I'm not a huge fan of VAR as it seems t be implemented mainly to rule out goals for fractional offsides. Maybe instead of that they should use it when the ref is suspicious that someone dived.

The current situation doesn't work. If the ref thinks someone dived he's still unlikely to book him because he's not 100% sure. I'd like this to be applied all over the park with a yellow going to anyone shown to be diving on the playback. That would quickly make players think twice beforehand.

If anyone's seen any Copa America games, the diving's reached pandemic levels over there and the referees just continually encourage it with their officiating. Something needs to be done. I

feel bad for Denmark, Sterling did exactly the same thing near the end against us and I'd have been furious if they'd have won against us because refs can't stand up to known cheats.

I think var has been implemented to give uefa the opportunity to further the most financially advantageous teams