• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, duncan II said:

How not? Are there levels of cheating? 

Got to agree with Toepoke on this. While it was one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen, there's nothing in the rule book about hitting the ground after feeling the slightest bit of contact, but there are probably a few lines about batting the ball directly into the goal with your hand.

57 minutes ago, Ramtastic said:

Got to agree with Toepoke on this. While it was one of the worst penalty decisions I've ever seen, there's nothing in the rule book about hitting the ground after feeling the slightest bit of contact, but there are probably a few lines about batting the ball directly into the goal with your hand.

Well, it’s certainly all about opinions. To me, Kane’s constant cheating is everything I hate about football, and takes away from the whole integrity of the game. An isolated dive in the heat of the moment, like Sterling’s, I could live with, even though it led directly to England’s goal. It’s on a level with Maradona’s heat of the moment stick your arm in the air and hope for the best. Kane constantly falling down ain’t football. It’s horrible. The refs have generally been good with similar behaviour this tourney, first time this stuff attempted it’s nipped in the bud. This fella fell for it time and time again, set the tone which unfortunately led to Sterling trying his luck. Why not?

3 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Well, it’s certainly all about opinions. To me, Kane’s constant cheating is everything I hate about football, and takes away from the whole integrity of the game. An isolated dive in the heat of the moment, like Sterling’s, I could live with, even though it led directly to England’s goal. It’s on a level with Maradona’s heat of the moment stick your arm in the air and hope for the best. Kane constantly falling down ain’t football. It’s horrible. The refs have generally been good with similar behaviour this tourney, first time this stuff attempted it’s nipped in the bud. This fella fell for it time and time again, set the tone which unfortunately led to Sterling trying his luck. Why not?

I thought last night was worse too. Henry v Ireland, Hand of God or a single Sterling splash are all shite baggery but can be deflected as a momentary weakness.

Last night was premeditated and were at it all game - Kane kept dropping into positions purely to get free kicks to swing in the box. There was a couple of times he stayed on his feet but only to get in a better position to fall over so they could launch it on to slab heads bonce. 

Sterling’s reaction to the equaliser summed it up - his first thought was a massive splash dive second was celebrating the goal. 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

England on balance deserved to win last night, however it was never a pen and baffling that VAR let it stand.  

Probably because there was no clear evidence to overturn, there was slight contact. Said on here before they do it right in the NFL, has to be clear reason to over turn otherwise the ruling on the field stands. 

17 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I thought last night was worse too. Henry v Ireland, Hand of God or a single Sterling splash are all shite baggery but can be deflected as a momentary weakness.

Last night was premeditated and were at it all game - Kane kept dropping into positions purely to get free kicks to swing in the box. There was a couple of times he stayed on his feet but only to get in a better position to fall over so they could launch it on to slab heads bonce. 

Sterling’s reaction to the equaliser summed it up - his first thought was a massive splash dive second was celebrating the goal. 

Yep, noticed all too often, and the Danes never seemed to learn - all too willing to give him a reason to fall over with minimal contact, just stand off him and let him give the ball away. 

Well, after me ranting about Italy’s diving the other night the one small consolation I have is that I feel equally disgusted with England,  and really couldn’t give a fook who wins now. The final is between 2 nations who have cheated their way , given the fact one of them has to claim the prize it really does put to bed  the expression ‘cheats never win’.  Sad that the competition has ended this way. 

9 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol did you watch the game tonight? Imagine what the Danish must think after watching our games. We will be lucky not to get thumped in Denmark. 

Are you even a Scotland fan if you don't have drunk optimism?

All I can say is in the history of football some decisions go for you, some go against you. Constant cycle. If the commentators, who were quite frankly a disgrace last night, are happy to accept winning like that (Lee Dixon's "I don't care" comment will hopefully follow him around for the remainder of his broadcasting career) then they can't very well turn round and moan about it when they are on the receiving end.

Commiserations to Denmark - a terrific showing in this competition. England were the better team on the night but it was sad that the decisive moment arrived via a mistake from the referee.

14 minutes ago, morrie21 said:

All I can say is in the history of football some decisions go for you, some go against you. Constant cycle. If the commentators, who were quite frankly a disgrace last night, are happy to accept winning like that (Lee Dixon's "I don't care" comment will hopefully follow him around for the remainder of his broadcasting career) then they can't very well turn round and moan about it when they are on the receiving end.

Commiserations to Denmark - a terrific showing in this competition. England were the better team on the night but it was sad that the decisive moment arrived via a mistake from the referee.

It's unfair to couch it as a mistake from the referee

An entire nation is today celebrating a guy cheating having bemoaned another guy cheating for last 35 years 

9 hours ago, Nobby said:

Nope not in the slightest 😘 Italy will probably get one on Sunday and if they do I’ll moan about it for 5 minutes and move on. It happens every week and if you got one against us in the group game, most on here would be laughing their arses off. Whether you like it or not there was contact and Sterling went down. It was a ridiculously soft penalty granted. But like I said if it goes your way, you take it. When I see Scotland refuse a soft penalty in a knockout game I’ll cede you the moral high ground 😉

What the 3 divers did is now part of the game, the commentators call it playing for a foul, being clever, buying a foul etc when we all know it’s real name is cheating. I wonder if the Danish press are doing the Johnny Foreigner rant that we constantly hear when one of them falls over playing an English team. If there was a World Cup for hypocrites England would win it every time. Nobby until you improve your sporting morals you can gtf 👍

1 hour ago, duncan II said:

Agree with you re Kane, disgraceful performance, looking to go down at every suitable opportunity. 

I don’t think hypocrisy is a uniquely English trait. Neither is diving. But feel sorry for the Danes as it’s a horrible way to go out the tournament. 

Their media has always been brutal, especially watching it as a Scot, can’t see that changing. 

But unfortunately they deserved to win, draw has been kind to them but they’ve did what’s been required. 

Hopefully Italy do the business 

1 minute ago, Toepoke said:

Agree with you re Kane, disgraceful performance, looking to go down at every suitable opportunity. 

It’s creeping into the game and it makes watching increasingly difficult. They are gonna need to change the rules at some point because it’s ruining the game. 

8 hours ago, darkbluegas said:

But doesn’t it rather make the whole game pointless. What’s the point of investing time and emotion in something that has no ethical validity.

Would you be so sanguine if someone nicked your wallet because you were daft enough to leave it hanging out your back pocket.

How the hell do we educate the next generation when such deception is accepted 

Cheating in football and most team sports has existed since they began. Hacking someone down when through on goal. Stopping a ball on the line with your arm. What happened last night was a defender made contact with a player in the box without getting the ball and the player went down and the ref gave a penalty. It happened years ago and will continue to happen. You call it cheating others call it playing the game. You might not like it but that’s football in 2021
Nicking  a wallet is theft and against the law, going down in the penalty box because a defender made contact isn’t. I would totally agree that it was a soft penalty and years ago it would never have been given but in today’s game it can and was given. 
if you want ethical validity take up chess because it has never existed in the game of football. Granted there are moments when individuals show great sportsmanship and that is to be applauded, but I refer to my previous comment that most on here would be pissing themselves laughing if that penalty was given the other way. Karma is a bitch and we are up against the masters of gamesmanship on Sunday so look forward to Italy returning the favour on us 😉

2 minutes ago, Nobby said:

Cheating in football and most team sports has existed since they began. Hacking someone down when through on goal. Stopping a ball on the line with your arm. What happened last night was a defender made contact with a player in the box without getting the ball and the player went down and the ref gave a penalty. It happened years ago and will continue to happen. You call it cheating others call it playing the game. You might not like it but that’s football in 2021
Nicking  a wallet is theft and against the law, going down in the penalty box because a defender made contact isn’t. I would totally agree that it was a soft penalty and years ago it would never have been given but in today’s game it can and was given. 
if you want ethical validity take up chess because it has never existed in the game of football. Granted there are moments when individuals show great sportsmanship and that is to be applauded, but I refer to my previous comment that most on here would be pissing themselves laughing if that penalty was given the other way. Karma is a bitch and we are up against the masters of gamesmanship on Sunday so look forward to Italy returning the favour on us 😉

Think your so called masters could learn a thing or two from the new kids on the block in the final.

16 minutes ago, Nobby said:

So the end result of that is a game where you deceive to achieve “ I’ll get that up in the school hall should encourage the kids.

I suppose every nation needs a nemesis now Denmark have their very own Maradona

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

It's unfair to couch it as a mistake from the referee

An entire nation is today celebrating a guy cheating having bemoaned another guy cheating for last 35 years 

It was a mistake from the referee. He could have not awarded it then had the VAR ask him to look again on the screen. I think that would have been his best course of action. Easy to say when not caught up in the heat of the moment. As for them celebrating it I used it as a line in the sand moment by saying they now can't ever complain about things when they fall victim to it in future.

26 minutes ago, darkbluegas said:

So the end result of that is a game where you deceive to achieve “ I’ll get that up in the school hall should encourage the kids.

I suppose every nation needs a nemesis now Denmark have their very own Maradona

Do you think Maradona or any Argentinian give a monkeys about what the average England fan think of them ? Maradona put the ball in the net with his hand and I’ve seen plenty of posts on here laughing and celebrating that fact. It’s football I get it . I’m equally old enough to have watched that game and imho he’s the best footballer the world has ever seen and we could’ve played for a month and not beat them. I’m sure Copenhagen is a no go area for Sterling for the foreseeable and they’ll bemoan that soft penalty for years and curse their luck. Welcome to the world of the knockout stages of a major tournament. 

1 hour ago, RDFH64 said:

What the 3 divers did is now part of the game, the commentators call it playing for a foul, being clever, buying a foul etc when we all know it’s real name is cheating. I wonder if the Danish press are doing the Johnny Foreigner rant that we constantly hear when one of them falls over playing an English team. If there was a World Cup for hypocrites England would win it every time. Nobby until you improve your sporting morals you can gtf 👍

I really couldn’t give a monkeys 😉 it’s sport it happens week in week out some go for you some go against you. Last night the better side won albeit off an iffy decision so I’ll take it and I would stake my house on the fact that the majority on here would react in exactly the same way. I get you’re  Scotland fans and you really don’t like the England football team and the moral outrage Is laudable and deafening but also highly predictable 😉

14 minutes ago, Nobby said:

I really couldn’t give a monkeys 😉 it’s sport it happens week in week out some go for you some go against you. Last night the better side won albeit off an iffy decision so I’ll take it and I would stake my house on the fact that the majority on here would react in exactly the same way. I get you’re  Scotland fans and you really don’t like the England football team and the moral outrage Is laudable and deafening but also highly predictable 😉

Yes, and we shouldn't forget that we once had our own Hand of God: Joe Jordan did exactly what Maradona did - against Wales in 1978, though Dalglish later scored a fine goal.