England - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

GaryWood34

I haven't been on here so much lately but thought this was worth commenting on.

It takes me back to Paris in 1975. Not in a Thin Lizzy sort of way, but the joy I felt of watching Leeds get crapped on. My main non-HTFC footballing aspiration is to see the skip-dwellers relegated so far they end up using jumpers for goalposts in Roundhay Park, & this was a rare opportunity in those days to get back at all the so-called fans I knew who never clicked a turnstile in their lives but would never shut the f**k up about how brilliant they were. For the record, Town's most recent game at that time had been a 0-0 draw at home to Tranmere Rovers in a 23rd v 24th place, 3rd Division game after which both of us dropped.

The reason it reminds me though is my mother...for the life in her, she couldn't understand why I'd support "The Germans" over a Yorkshire team. "Your Grandad would be turning in his grave"; ignoring the fact he'd been cremated.

She even went around telling the neighbours, who clearly concluded there was something not quite right with the lad at no. 2.

Much like with England at the moment, the hype is aimed at folk like my neighbours who I know for fact have never set foot inside a football ground but are turning up with crates of crap Aldi lager & going ballistic every time we score. They are easy prey to get stupid & as a result spend money.

Football rivalry is part & parcel of the game. If you don't hate at least one team almost as much as you love your own, then you're not really trying. England fans were cheering when news came through that Scotland were losing v. Croatia, not from arrogance but from basic, old-school rivalry. Much like Leeds pretending the Mancs are their big rivals & they aren't interested in us, but getting an extra several thousand there whenever they play us, it's much the same with England & Scotland. We can pretend the real rivalry is Germany but we all know there's something a bit special about playing Scotland.

It pisses me off beyond belief when anyone whose great granny one went to Eyemouth on holiday is forced to say who they will support. Just bloody tell them you're ABE; go for it; we love it.

Finally onto Ramy...you know what, you're the sort of bloke I'd have a pint with. Heart on your sleeve & if I knew you, I'd have been texting you every day asking who you've got in the next round. I don't really think everyone born in Leeds is a 6-fingered knuckle-dragging moron, but you'd never guess that to talk to me half the time.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

It takes me back to Paris in 1975. Not in a Thin Lizzy sort of way, but the joy I felt of watching Leeds get crapped on. My main non-HTFC footballing aspiration is to see the skip-dwellers relegated so far they end up using jumpers for goalposts in Roundhay Park, & this was a rare opportunity in those days to get back at all the so-called fans I knew who never clicked a turnstile in their lives but would never shut the f**k up about how brilliant they were. For the record, Town's most recent game at that time had been a 0-0 draw at home to Tranmere Rovers in a 23rd v 24th place, 3rd Division game after which both of us dropped.

The reason it reminds me though is my mother...for the life in her, she couldn't understand why I'd support "The Germans" over a Yorkshire team. "Your Grandad would be turning in his grave"; ignoring the fact he'd been cremated.

She even went around telling the neighbours, who clearly concluded there was something not quite right with the lad at no. 2.

Much like with England at the moment, the hype is aimed at folk like my neighbours who I know for fact have never set foot inside a football ground but are turning up with crates of crap Aldi lager & going ballistic every time we score. They are easy prey to get stupid & as a result spend money.

Football rivalry is part & parcel of the game. If you don't hate at least one team almost as much as you love your own, then you're not really trying. England fans were cheering when news came through that Scotland were losing v. Croatia, not from arrogance but from basic, old-school rivalry. Much like Leeds pretending the Mancs are their big rivals & they aren't interested in us, but getting an extra several thousand there whenever they play us, it's much the same with England & Scotland. We can pretend the real rivalry is Germany but we all know there's something a bit special about playing Scotland.

It pisses me off beyond belief when anyone whose great granny one went to Eyemouth on holiday is forced to say who they will support. Just bloody tell them you're ABE; go for it; we love it.

Finally onto Ramy...you know what, you're the sort of bloke I'd have a pint with. Heart on your sleeve & if I knew you, I'd have been texting you every day asking who you've got in the next round. I don't really think everyone born in Leeds is a 6-fingered knuckle-dragging moron, but you'd never guess that to talk to me half the time.

There's definitely a football fan v non-football fan angle here. Actual turnstile-bothering fans know and understand the rivalry and accept it. But a lot of the popular media is awash with people trying to generate false solidarity and/or obsessed with whether Scottish people support or should support England. And of course there are politicians and other public figures making out they support 'the other side' to make themselves look cosmopolitan not xenophobic.

Another angle is what people say in public and what they really think. A lot of people are probably diplomatic in public but cheer 'ABE' in private.

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

If the ‘like’ button still existed I’d be smashing it with all of my various log-in personas.

There’s a definite split between those who get football and those who are on the bandwagon with the scent of victory in their nostrils.  The later seem to need a comfort blanket of other home nations to be on board because they supported us or Andy Murray at tennis whereas the prior understand that’s not how it is supposed to work.  I’ll never forget after the Netherlands scored in 96 Southgate trying to get everyone going again to score more but Adams just pointed to the crowd singing ‘Scotland Going Home’ – I knew then we were out.  England could have absolutely smashed Netherlands for more that night but barely came out their half for the rest of the game.

I’ve got a holiday booked down south from the 9th and have a couple of my English mates from school days coming around the gaff we have for the weekend.  I’m obviously not going be shouting for England win if they’re in the final and will more than likely resort to infantile behaviour of turning up for kick-off in a toga to Nessun Dorma as my walk-in music but begrudgingly I think I could just about put up with them being euphoric if they win.  If it gets too much there’s loads of farm land about bury them in and the place is booked under a South American alias anyway.  On the other hand if they lose I'll be relieved without question but won’t take a great deal of enjoyment out of it as will likely involve a number of children and young teenagers in tears, unless of course it includes snot bubbles, then I’d likely show momentary weakness as I’m not perfect. 

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

Good post Huddersfield, and good to hear from you again, hope you and Mrs H are keeping well .

35 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

If the ‘like’ button still existed I’d be smashing it with all of my various log-in personas.

😩 you were one of my 6 .

The other thing that’s beginning to get right on my tits is listening to some of the illogical bollocks my mates down there are trotting out when essentially the reason they’re doing orate is because they’re predominantly at home, they’re nae bad and the draw has opened up spectacularly again rather than it being down to lucky pants or other such nonsense.  One of my mate’s has said he’s got watch the semi and final at his house as he had a new armchair delivered after the Scotland game and since his arse has been plonked on it they’ve won every game.  Says he invited his dad around for Ukraine too but the only game he’d watched so far was the Scotland game and therefore isn’t watching them again believing this will be integral to their quest for eventual glory.  They’re 40 and 70 year old for fuck sake!

The obvious logical grown-up conclusion to make from all this is I simply need to hire a van, steal his seat, kidnap his dad, fly-tip the chair en-route to a guest house in the arse end of nowhere, tape his dad’s eyelids to his forehead and force him to watch the semi v Denmark if I’m to stand any realistic chance of enjoying my day trips to Alton Towers and Chester Zoo a week from now.     

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

😩 you were one of my 6 .

Christ I struggle remembering the log-in / email for this account rather than trying run loads of others or having ones on the shelf waiting to roll-out.  The other problem is my 'Phart' account takes loads of time to research to try to pass myself off as clever so simply haven't the time for any more!  

3 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I’d agree with that but you can’t expect non-footballing bandwagon jumper onners to be excluded either. My partner couldn’t give a monkeys about football and she usually  hates it but she has got into the tournament as have your neighbours. I detest Arsenal with a passion. My dad, eldest boy and sister support them yet we all go and watch Southend together. I certainly wouldn’t expect any Scotland supporter to wish England anything but the worst. My partner wanted wales to do well and couldn’t understand why I wanted them royally humped as soon as possible. True they only really care for a few weeks but it’s be churlish to say they couldn’t enjoy a few weeks of football and then they can get back to love island 😉

7 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

😆😅 for the first part in bold. 

😕 One For The Watching re the second part in bold

Great post.A real football guy who understands what real fans feel.As far as rivalry goes,Scotland v england is the oldest in football.It would be a tragedy to let it get watered down by pseudo football fans.Don't let these sods kill the passion,and that goes for england fans as well.Down in pub in Baker street before the game at wembley.Mainly Scotland fans giving england pelters,but also a group of england supporters giving it back.One of the group of england fans came over and we had a good chat about supporting our countries all over the world.No problem,just real supporters from both countries sharing in the passion of supporting our teams and loving the rivalry.TRUE football fans will understand the shared commitment we have.Anybody else can go take a .... to themselves.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Great post.A real football guy who understands what real fans feel.As far as rivalry goes,Scotland v england is the oldest in football.It would be a tragedy to let it get watered down by pseudo football fans.Don't let these sods kill the passion,and that goes for england fans as well.Down in pub in Baker street before the game at wembley.Mainly Scotland fans giving england pelters,but also a group of england supporters giving it back.One of the group of england fans came over and we had a good chat about supporting our countries all over the world.No problem,just real supporters from both countries sharing in the passion of supporting our teams and loving the rivalry.TRUE football fans will understand the shared commitment we have.Anybody else can go take a .... to themselves.

This was in reply to the post by Huddersfield by the way.

Tournaments bring out the absolute worst tv daytrippers. Eejits who think they have half a fucking clue because they've lapped up the media coverage. Never been to a Scotland game. Don't know who we're playing in qualifying etc. Tournament comes around and all of a sudden they ken the script? Fuck off. You know the type; totally surprised by the emergence of wee Billy who. And it's these cunts that don't get that hating your biggest rivals and wishing them to get pumped every game is de rigeur. You're not getting the most enjoyment out of your football if you don't have rivals to hate 😂. It's even better when your rivals are a country as you can then wish for their demise in every sport on the planet 🤓

Theres nothing wrong with wanting England to get beat, but some Scottish ppl jump around passionately when England lose a goal in the same way they would as if its Scotland scoring against England. To me thats a bit sad and it makes us look a bit pathetic. Bearing in mind we are a country that voted against our own independence but instead passionately jump around at our overlords(England) defeat. 

39 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Theres nothing wrong with wanting England to get beat, but some Scottish ppl jump around passionately when England lose a goal in the same way they would as if its Scotland scoring against England. To me thats a bit sad and it makes us look a bit pathetic. Bearing in mind we are a country that voted against our own independence but instead passionately jump around at our overlords(England) defeat. 

The Dutch folk I was with when England scored against Germany ( years ago) were a Doctor and a teacher. They celebrated the England goals like they were back in Utrecht behind the goals 😂. Good on them. Biggest rivals? Fill your boots.

Anyone remember McCoist tapping in for old Rangers in front of the A*r she'd at Somerset? I'm jumping about like a daftie. 😂. Hand of God against Killie? Good on them, they're entitled to get it right up us👍. The cup game in 2011 on the telly? 4,000 A*r at Rugby Park. They were brilliant. It's an atmosphere like that that makes the football beautiful. Oh, WFAANW. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by killiefaetheferry

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Tournaments bring out the absolute worst tv daytrippers. Eejits who think they have half a fucking clue because they've lapped up the media coverage. Never been to a Scotland game. Don't know who we're playing in qualifying etc. Tournament comes around and all of a sudden they ken the script? Fuck off. You know the type; totally surprised by the emergence of wee Billy who. And it's these cunts that don't get that hating your biggest rivals and wishing them to get pumped every game is de rigeur. You're not getting the most enjoyment out of your football if you don't have rivals to hate 😂. It's even better when your rivals are a country as you can then wish for their demise in every sport on the planet 🤓

100% correct.It's time for the real football supporters to reclaim our game.Those that don't understand rivalry in football ,quite frankly shouldn't be anywhere near it.Cmon SCOTLAND..f..k off england.This is our game,don't let them steal it.

45 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

The Dutch folk I was with when England scored against Germany ( years ago) were a Doctor and a teacher. They celebrated the England goals like they were back in Utrecht behind the goals 😂. Good on them. Biggest rivals? Fill your boots.

Exactly.

8 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Good post Huddersfield, and good to hear from you again, hope you and Mrs H are keeping well .

Yes we're keeping well thanks & hope you are too. Good to be getting out a bit again. I just got my first ticket to see Town in 16 months...Southport away in a friendly. Sod England; I can't waitfor this one!

2 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

It's even better when your rivals are a country as you can then wish for their demise in every sport on the planet 🤓

You don't need a country...my most hated teams in sports I can think of:

Football - Leeds United.

Non-league football - Leeds City & Leeds FC (they actually play in Kent but they can do one anyway for choosing the b***ards name)

Rugby League - Leeds Rhinos

Rugby Union - no idea who plays it, but I'll opt for Leeds Whoever They Are

Cricket - Yorkshire came bloody close to getting dumped when they suggested renaming one of the one-day teams Leeds summat or other. Luckily most YCCC fans hate Leeds as well so that idea got binned.

If there's a Leeds crown green bowling team, they're in there. Ditto chess, basketball, beach volleyball & whatever else there is to chuck in.

It's easy if you try :D

Ive lived most of my life in England and will punching the ceiling in delight if the danes turn them over.

The southgate love in has become too much and quite sickening. The swedes did in 92....Norwegians in qualifying for usa 94.....and now its the turn of the Danes who are talented and took 4 points off them in the friendly replacement comp.

I can see it at least going to extra time. 

13 minutes ago, gusmac said:

Ive lived most of my life in England and will punching the ceiling in delight if the danes turn them over.

The southgate love in has become too much and quite sickening. The swedes did in 92....Norwegians in qualifying for usa 94.....and now its the turn of the Danes who are talented and took 4 points off them in the friendly replacement comp.

I can see it at least going to extra time. 

We can but hope.

4 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

My dad would walk 500 miles to support Scotland at tiddley-winks, but would support England vs the Dutch.   He worked for a certain Eindhoven company, so someone there may have been getting on his small birds.

Me?    Apart from the recent novelty of us being part of one, I can only enjoy a tournament once they are out and all the bullshit is swept away.   ABE.

interesting reading the replies and they pretty much sum up how me and even my mates feel.

I used to despise them, wanted them to lose every time they played. Now, I just feel indifferent about them.

When players like Ince, Pearce, Gascoigne, Batty (the list goes on and on) played I would seethe.

England are a top footballing nation that have under achieved for 60 years, they're exactly where they should be in the tournament, aye they've had an easy time of it, the worst Germany performance I've ever seen and a hapless Ukraine has seen them fly into the semis but they are where you'd expect any good team to be.

The one thing i do find insufferable though are the commentators and studio panels.

Their constant referencing to them when they are not even playing, the tenuous links to a foreign player that might have played for burton albion and the such is irritating beyond belief, coupled with the England expects mentality whilst at the same time making out they are under dogs is chronic.