England - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England

GaryWood34

What we think of England shouldn't matter. But we can't help the situation we're in. In almost every other country, if you get knocked out, the nation goes into mourning, or turns attention to other things, not forced to have another country's fan-media and politicians ramming your biggest rival's preoccupations and successes down your throat.

So even if you try to watch an individual game of football and could admire the skills of the individual players as a neutral aficionado of the beautiful game, the consequences of them actually winning are just too much to bear.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

: : : A scale of support for your biggest football rival : : :

1. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do well. Each game they play, I hope they lose; and I hope and pray they crash out the tournament at the earliest possible opportunity.

2. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do too well. Fair's fair if they play well they may deserve to go further but I'll never personally will it to happen and I'll be frankly relieved when they're out.

3. They're just another team, nothing to do with me. I am genuinely neutral, I couldn't care less either way.

4. While I don't actively support them, I am a cosmopolitan connoisseur of football, happy to see good players and teams do well. That Mings is quite a player and I wouldn't mind if Foden had a Scottish granny. I'd love to see that Jude Bellingham and Jaden Sancho get a chance to show us what they can do. And Gareth's a gent. If they win it, fair play.

5. They are a home nation and so I'd obviously support them over foreign nations any day. Especially once Scotland are knocked out, I'd throw my weight behind them and cheer another British team. Even if they're shite and win ugly.

2 minutes ago, exile said:

1. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do well. Each game they play, I hope they lose; and I hope and pray they crash out the tournament at the earliest possible opportunity.

2. They're my rival and I am never going to support them or want them to do too well. Fair's fair if they play well they may deserve to go further but I'll never personally will it to happen and I'll be frankly relieved when they're out.

3. They're just another team, nothing to do with me. I am genuinely neutral, I couldn't care less either way.

4. While I don't actively support them, I am a cosmopolitan connoisseur of football, happy to see good players and teams do well. That Mings is quite a player and I wouldn't mind if Foden had a Scottish granny. I'd love to see that Jude Bellingham and Jaden Sancho get a chance to show us what they can do. And Gareth's a gent. If they win it, fair play.

5. They are a home nation and so I'd obviously support them over foreign nations any day. Especially once Scotland are knocked out, I'd throw my weight behind them and cheer another British team. Even if they're shite and win ugly.

You missed level 0 out, dont qualify in the first place 

2 hours ago, exile said:

What we think of England shouldn't matter. But we can't help the situation we're in. In almost every other country, if you get knocked out, the nation goes into mourning, or turns attention to other things, not forced to have another country's fan-media and politicians ramming your biggest rival's preoccupations and successes down your throat.

So even if you try to watch an individual game of football and could admire the skills of the individual players as a neutral aficionado of the beautiful game, the consequences of them actually winning are just too much to bear.

Spot on Exile.

At the very least , can someone tell me why we cannot have Scottish commentators on at the break and covering the actual competition,  not England. England would of course have an equal amount of time spent on them as every other country left in the competition. Its not like we dont have any decent pundits. Surely to god it cant be that expensive to pay Michael Stewart etc a few bob every 2 years ? It beggars belief how many people just suck up this ludicrous situation. 

24 minutes ago, exile said:

I am about a 1 and a half. Watching Italy fall about all over the place last night almost made me not care who won if both they and England got to the final. I did however quickly recompose myself . 
I have a lot of English colleagues and customers, many of whom I would class as friends also, I am not a hater of England. But at the end of the day England are our greatest rivals, at least they were when I was brought up, and I will never want them to do well . Ever. As I said earlier in the thread , I think the constant hysteria hardens you further. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I am about a 1 and a half. Watching Italy fall about all over the place last night almost made me not care who won if both they and England got to the final. I did however quickly recompose myself . 
I have a lot of English colleagues and customers, many of whom I would class as friends also, I am not a hater of England. But at the end of the day England are our greatest rivals, at least they were when I was brought up, and I will never want them to do well . Ever. As I said earlier in the thread , I think the constant hysteria hardens you further. 

Ditto.

For me the detestable England fans drown out the decent ones. Their utter Bolshiness is nauseating and I just could not wish good things for them because of that alone.

Personally it doesn't really bother me if England do well, would probably prefer it if they lost but I don't really hate it when they win either. I find it a bit sad and bitter when fellow Scottish ppl celebrate them losing with incredible passion in the same way they would if we win or score. Makes us look petty, weak and slightly pathetic imo. Half the fuckers that celebrate them losing probably voted against indy as well. 

I watched the Italy game without the commentary. I thought Italy were fantastic in just about everything they did. Including running down the clock at the end. I hope they win the competition as they have played by far the best football of any of the teams in the competition. The team that plays the best football doesn't always win the competition though.

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Personally it doesn't really bother me if England do well, would probably prefer it if they lost but I don't really hate it when they win either. I find it a bit sad and bitter when fellow Scottish ppl celebrate them losing with incredible passion in the same way they would if we win or score. Makes us look petty, weak and slightly pathetic imo. Half the fuckers that celebrate them losing probably voted against indy as well. 

I think a lot of that stems from this belief it makes them appear even more Scottish - it doesn't. I'd agree with much of what you say. It is a mindset stuck in the past and does us no favours. It just lowers us to the level of England fans and makes us look bitter and obsessed with them.

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I watched the Italy game without the commentary. I thought Italy were fantastic in just about everything they did. Including running down the clock at the end. I hope they win the competition as they have played by far the best football of any of the teams in the competition. The team that plays the best football doesn't always win the competition though.

I agree they play excellent football and should win this. However they were embarrassing to watch last night with their time wasting antics. Its a pity as they dont need to lower themselves to that standard, they are skilful enough to win on their own merit.

8 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I think a lot of that stems from this belief it makes them appear even more Scottish - it doesn't. I'd agree with much of what you say. It is a mindset stuck in the past and does us no favours. It just lowers us to the level of England fans and makes us look bitter and obsessed with them.

Yeh don't get me wrong I can understand ppl wanting them to lose but some ppl are jumping about celebrating with passion in the same way they would if scotland had scored. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yeh don't get me wrong I can understand ppl wanting them to lose but some ppl are jumping about celebrating with passion in the same way they would if scotland had scored. 

Agreed. Take quiet satisfaction in an England defeat but this stuff like wearing their opponents tops is plain embarrassing.

14 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have to be honest and say I almost hit the roof when Croatia beat them 3-2 in 2007 , putting them out of qualification for Euro 2008. We had just failed to qualify for the Euros a few days earlier when we got beat by Italy at Hampden. I feel no shame whatsoever in revelling in their demise. 

But I do generally agree with you and these days I tend not to even watch their games. We should be concentrating on ourselves. 

11 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Would England winning the euros be positive for Scottish independence? 

Cant see it changing opinions much. The outrageous celebrations in the aftermath might nudge some undecided voters over to Yes,  but a lot of people dont care enough about football to let it affect their decision . 

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck england in everything they do.... Scotland Forever !!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

15 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

Fuck england in everything they do.... Scotland Forever !!!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Cometh the hour cometh the man.Well said big man.

Rivalry is one of the main ingrediants in football.Take that away,and you will be left with a pale imitation of the game.The passion is getting drained away as it is.Do any of these guys support a club team?Can just see a Hibs supporter saying,ah well ,we have just been knocked out the cup,i really hope that the jambos win it now.Why would we want england to do well?An absolutely ridiculous concept.

If Scotland was a normal coountry I don't think people would be so obsessed with their neighbours. The rivalry would be no more (and no less) than, say, between Denmark and Sweden. Or even between Scotlad and Wales, or Scotland and Northern Ireland. We're different footballing nations, we can be local rivals for local bragging rights, some may wish them well, others may resent them doing well, but we are not obsessed with them. It's because we are not a normal country that we have the extremes of people either supporting another country, or supporting everyone but.

Edited by exile

12 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Rivalry is one of the main ingrediants in football.Take that away,and you will be left with a pale imitation of the game.The passion is getting drained away as it is.Do any of these guys support a club team?Can just see a Hibs supporter saying,ah well ,we have just been knocked out the cup,i really hope that the jambos win it now.Why would we want england to do well?An absolutely ridiculous concept.

Exactly. But for some reason that logic is not allowed when it comes to Scotland/ England. Rank hypocrisy.