League Reorganisation, Again… - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Reorganisation, Again…

38 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

My memory might not be perfect here but didn't he only vote to deny rangers entry to the top flight only after severe fan pressure?

That's how I remember it

He was told to shove his ST's where the sun don't shine if he agreed to it - So he didn't

Other clubs fans followed, as did their chairmen - Killie & Huns apart

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Haggis_trap said:

You go back almost a decade to dig that up!
As an Aberdeen fan I would say that was an error. 
However : it wouldn't be the first time that I have disagreed with board at Pittodrie.
Also : What you describe is vast over simplification. 

"There’s a perception the voting regime is 11-1 but very few matters are 11-1. The vast majority are 8-4, some are 10-2 and a few are 11-1.

“The motion put forward would make everything 9-3 but there will be further debate. It requires an 11-1 vote to get that through.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/moves-to-change-spl-voting-structure-1393897

I go back a decade because thats when the vote took place. How many votes have clubs brought forward since? Thats my point. There must be a reason why clubs dont want to increase the league size, change the number of times they play each other etc.

Clubs had another chance to push through change at the ending of the 19/20 season but again kept things as they were. Infact a new TV deal was agreed which keeps things as they are.

Are non old firm clubs acting against their own financial interest?

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I go back a decade because thats when the vote took place. How many votes have clubs brought forward since? Thats my point. There must be a reason why clubs dont want to increase the league size, change the number of times they play each other etc.

Clubs had another chance to push through change at the ending of the 19/20 season but again kept things as they were. Infact a new TV deal was agreed which keeps things as they are.

Fast forward a decade...
How many premier league clubs went bankrupt while Rangers were doing their tour of Annan and Peterhead ?

The SPL clubs survived just fine with x2 home games against Celtic every season.
Some supporters even enjoyed having less old firm fixtures 😉

Edited by Haggis_trap

7 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Try asking Hearts, Hibs, Killie, Inverness, Dundee Utd (all big well supported teams by Scottish standards) how a few seasons in lower leagues affected their finances.

16 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

Fast forward a decade...
How many premier league clubs went bankrupt while Rangers were doing their tour of Annan and Peterhead ?

The SPL clubs survived just fine with x2 home games against Celtic every season.
Some supporters even enjoyed having less old firm fixtures 😉

I think you are mistaking the question im asking. Nowhere have I predicted financial doom for any club or said the Old firm were a positive for the league.

Im simply asking why, if non old firm supporters are so in favour (which they tend to be) and if there would be no financial downside to an increased league with fewer games against each other. Why has it not been proposed by non old firm chairman?

Why wasnt the opportunity seized to change the voting strucure when Rangers were out the top flight?

Why wasnt the covid shutdown seen as an opportunity to force change?

Surely it would be a no brainer for non old firm chairman to push this through or at least constantly propose it.

The only viable reason I can see is that there must be a financial downside. Because as you say the experience of having the old firm visit town isnt a pleasant one.

24 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

The only viable reason I can see is that there must be a financial downside. Because as you say the experience of having the old firm visit town isnt a pleasant one.

When has Scottish football (SFA / SPL / clubs) ever collectively made the right longer term decision for overall good of the league?

Youth development, sentanta sports, appointing Neil Doncastor, last seasons vote fiasco, Cinch, crap sponsorship deals (etc).

Repeatedly making the same mistakes a common feature of our game.

9 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

When has Scottish football (SFA / SPL / clubs) ever collectively made the right longer term decision for overall good of the league?

Youth development, sentanta sports, appointing Neil Doncastor, last seasons vote fiasco, Cinch, crap sponsorship deals (etc).

Repeatedly making the same mistakes a common feature of our game.

Im not asking about the good of the game though. Im asking why no chairman have made the motion for something that their fans want and would have no detrimental impact on their club? (If you are correct that there would be no financial loss)

I just cant get my head around why this would be. Maybe the odd chairmain who is out of touch with his support but surely every single non old firm chairman doesnt fall into that category. Some clubs are even fan owned now. Why havent they tabled a motion?

^ I think you are wrong with assumption that *all* SPL chairman don't want restructuring of leagues.   however it fits your argument that we must carry on with the "same-old"

we almost saw change after covid ended the league season early.  i think change will eventually come - the problem as ever will be finding consensus that keeps everyone happy and can be voted through.