League Reorganisation, Again… - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Reorganisation, Again…

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There’s already far too much teams in professional football, so let’s try and get another 6 in. 

Another reason why we’ll never progress as a nation in football, it’s simply giving a reason to keep those 2 colt teams in the league and look like they’re helping out the semi professionals by allowing another 4 teams in.

We really are a fucking embarrassing shambles at times. 

21 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

There’s already far too much teams in professional football, so let’s try and get another 6 in. 

Another reason why we’ll never progress as a nation in football, it’s simply giving a reason to keep those 2 colt teams in the league and look like they’re helping out the semi professionals by allowing another 4 teams in.

We really are a fucking embarrassing shambles at times. 

That article in the TA section, the danydons article was absolutely spot on. 

Personally I would have 3 leagues of 14, have the split in the top league like we do now but into top 6 bottom 8. I would have 1 team gets automatic promotion and the second placed team plays a playoff against the second bottom team for the other promotion spot. I would also invite Irish teams to come and start in the bottom tier if they wish. Maybe Encourage them to amalgamate the 4 Dublin teams into 1 big club and see if they can build a team that could be a hibs or hearts sized club. I would also try and see if Sweden or Norway would fancy an amalgamation of leagues of some sort with a fair promotion and relegation system. 

3 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Personally I would have 3 leagues of 14, have the split in the top league like we do now but into top 6 bottom 8. I would have 1 team gets automatic promotion and the second placed team plays a playoff against the second bottom team for the other promotion spot. I would also invite Irish teams to come and start in the bottom tier if they wish. Maybe Encourage them to amalgamate the 4 Dublin teams into 1 big club and see if they can build a team that could be a hibs or hearts sized club. I would also try and see if Sweden or Norway would fancy an amalgamation of leagues of some sort with a fair promotion and relegation system. 

Teams fae Dublin, can see a wee problem wi that in Govan & the lodges 😳

2 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The old firm want 4 derbies a year, would a 16 team league allow that? 

I dont think its the Old Firm who want 4 derbies a year.

Its the TV companies who want 4 old firms a year and then the other clubs who want to play the Old Firm 3 or 4 times a year.

The old firm sell out their grounds regardless of who they play and what they receive from tv money is significantly less in terms of revenue percentage compared to other clubs.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:01 PM, vanderark14 said:

Enjoyed reading this, especially the bits about our lame excuses of not having street urchins kicking balls around around streets and computer games.

Shout at the radio every time I hear someone on Sportsound peddle this guff.

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The old firm want 4 derbies a year, would a 16 team league allow that? 

18-12-12 would work also.

(Think of all the derbies!)

Scottish football should be run based on what's best for Scottish football (longterm).

Appeasing TV, sponsors, etc. as a priority is 'tail wagging the dog' stuff.

If the product is good (and more competitive) then the TV and sponsors will naturally follow.

10 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

I dont think its the Old Firm who want 4 derbies a year.

Its the TV companies who want 4 old firms a year and then the other clubs who want to play the Old Firm 3 or 4 times a year.

The old firm sell out their grounds regardless of who they play and what they receive from tv money is significantly less in terms of revenue percentage compared to other clubs.

Yeh maybe so but the 4 old firm derbies is a massive selling point. The TV companies want 4 old firm derbies so I can't see that changing tbh. Also 4 Edinburgh derbies and the big 5 Scottish teams play each other more in a 12/14 team league. These matches are more lucrative and probably have better viewing figures than Aberdeen v livi for example. Pretty sure the reason Scotland changed from a 18 team league to a 10/12 was so that the bigger clubs could play each other more. 

5 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

18-12-12 would work also.

(Think of all the derbies!)

Scottish football should be run based on what's best for Scottish football (longterm).

Appeasing TV, sponsors, etc. as a priority is 'tail wagging the dog' stuff.

If the product is good (and more competitive) then the TV and sponsors will naturally follow.

How would an 18 team league have more derbies? 

End of the day a lot of old firm fans want the 4 derbies and its the big selling point of the league, plus small teams want to play the old firm 4 times a season as well. Can't see them voting for a larger league based on that alone. 

How would an 18 team league have more derbies?  

Well, do the maths.

If 6 teams were added from the Championship then (for example) Ross County v ICT, Motherwell v Hamilton, etc. would be back on.

More derbies for Scottish football. Not more Celtic/Sevco derbies (if that's what you were thinking.)

End of the day a lot of old firm fans want the 4 derbies...

Tough. The Ugly Sisters would leave Scotland at the drop of a hat. Running Scottish football for them is what's holding us back.

...and its the big selling point of the league...

Is having only Celtic, Rangers, and Sevco being the only teams to win the League in the last 36 years a selling point?

...plus small teams want to play the old firm 4 times a season as well.

The small teams want success, too.

Playing in the top tier and only facing Celtic and Sevco twice each would bring about a more competitive League.

Can't see them voting for a larger league based on that alone. 

No, but again, I'm proposing what I believe would be best for Scottish football.

1 hour ago, Scotty CTA said:

Well, do the maths.

If 6 teams were added from the Championship then (for example) Ross County v ICT, Motherwell v Hamilton, etc. would be back on.

More derbies for Scottish football. Not more Celtic/Sevco derbies (if that's what you were thinking.)

Tough. The Ugly Sisters would leave Scotland at the drop of a hat. Running Scottish football for them is what's holding us back.

Is having only Celtic, Rangers, and Sevco being the only teams to win the League in the last 36 years a selling point?

The small teams want success, too.

Playing in the top tier and only facing Celtic and Sevco twice each would bring about a more competitive League.

No, but again, I'm proposing what I believe would be best for Scottish football.

Very little ppl want to see the Highland Derby or Hamilton v motherwell(if that can be called a Derby). Thats just the facts. A 12/14 team league allows more old firm and Edinburgh derbies. Plus it means more games between the big 5 teams in Scotland. These are the desirable games and it's what the TV companies and the viewers want. Like it or lump it but that's what matters. 

The leagues not going to be more competitive with a 16 or 18 team league, rangers and celtic will still dominate no matter how the league is set up. 

The small teams want success but there's still no way they vote for a league where they play the old firm less. 

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The leagues not going to be more competitive with a 16 or 18 team league...

I disagree.

My team, Aberdeen, for example, would only play Celtic and Sevco home and away once a season each.

Wins and draws in those matches would have a huge bearing on the table.

IMHO, there wouldn't be two teams running ahead of the pack by 20 and 30 points if those 4 games could be played like cup games.

Eight games a season against Celtic and Sevco, however, then budget and squad size would definitely come to the fore.

8 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I disagree.

My team, Aberdeen, for example, would only play Celtic and Sevco home and away once a season each.

IMHO, there wouldn't be two teams running ahead of the pack by 20 and 30 points if those 4 games could be played like cup games.

Eight games a season against Celtic and Sevco, however, then budget and squad size would definitely come to the fore.

Sorry but yer kidding yourself if you think thats going to make a difference. Celtic and rangers dominate the league because they are huge clubs with resources that are much bigger than the other clubs. They will always win matches against the other spl teams no matter how the league is structured. Even if Aberdeen or hibs win/draw their 4 games against the old firm they would still have to put a run together against the rest of the league. Aberdeen and hibs can barely put a run of 4 or 5 victories as it is against lower spl teams. 

43 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

I disagree.

Why did Aberdeen vote against the change to the voting structure when Rangers werent in the league then?

Aberdeen and every other club benefit more from Old Firm away fans filling the stadium and the TV cash that goes with it.

I would expand the league to 14 and have a 6/8 spilt with 2 up and 2 down. Scrap the playoff system as imo its killing the lower leagues.

5 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Celtic and rangers dominate the league because they are huge clubs with resources that are much bigger than the other clubs. 

Yes, I already said that.

Who do you support?

Are you happy with the two horse race?

They will always win matches against the other spl teams no matter how the league is structured. Even if Aberdeen or hibs win/draw their 4 games against the old firm...

I won't accept that.

Recently in season 2018-19 Aberdeen played Sevco 6 times.

Aberdeen won in Glasgow 3 times and drew at home.

There'd be no point to participating if we actually believed it was futile to try and compete.

Aberdeen has big investors and came through the pandemic still debt free.

We have a new training ground.

We have a new philosophy, structure, and coaching team.

We have AberDNA.

We sold 2 of our players for record profits last season. 

We've strengthened. (Who else has?)

And we will (hopefully) have a brand new stadium in 3(?) years.

Things are looking good, and while a team outside of Celtic and Sevco winning the League might sound like pie in the sky stuff to others, I refuse to give up on that possibility.

...they would still have to put a run together against the rest of the league. 

Of course. Goes without saying.

Aberdeen and hibs can barely put a run of 4 or 5 victories as it is against lower spl teams. 

I think you mean 'could'.

The league is sitting even just now.

I'll easily concede that it probably won't happen soon, but if Aberdeen continue to strengthen year on year, then I can dream.

5 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Why did Aberdeen vote against the change to the voting structure when Rangers werent in the league then?

I could be wrong, but I think a bunch of things were lumped together, which included the gates being split 50/50.

Aberdeen and every other club benefit more from Old Firm away fans filling the stadium...

There are fans that stay away from their home games when the Ugly Sisters come to town.

If it were up to me, I'd give Celtic and Sevco the same 900(?) seats at Pittodrie that they give us.

There's other teams' fans that sellout their away allocations, too.

The whole thing becomes a myth.

We were told that teams would go under without Sevco in the top tier, but attendances actually increased.

Scrap the playoff system as imo its killing the lower leagues.

In what way?