Sam Gallagher - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sam Gallagher

5 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Bang average Championship player, probably on par with Dykes or Nisbet.

Still if he scores 25 goals next season he can expect a call up.

Sadly you’re probably correct.

Id like to think Nisbet is better - be interesting to see where he goes this summer and how he gets on. Celtic seems likely. 

7 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Id like to think Nisbet is better - be interesting to see where he goes this summer and how he gets on. Celtic seems likely. 

Your slowing down, McBurnie got 20+ goals one season and got a call up and he's crap should have been your reply.

2 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I would like to eat my words but fairly blatant case of 'I'm nowhere good enough for England but might get a game for the jocks.' 

It’s not the first time and it certainly won’t be the last. 

4 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Hopefully not. 😕 If Nisbet does move I'd much rather it wasn't to one of the OF.  He'd be better off leaving Scotland if he wants to progress.

As for Gallagher, he'd be another option and I'd take him but I don't think he'd offer much more than Dykes. If we're considering Blackburn strikers I'd rather it was Adam Armstrong who was interested in playing for us (I don't know if he is or even if he's eligible but he scored a shit-load of goals for them last season!).

3 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Your slowing down, McBurnie got 20+ goals one season and got a call up and he's crap should have been your reply.

:lol:

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Haha true.

I don’t think Gallagher has 20 goals in him in a season. 

He hasn't even hit it over the course of his 2 seasons there. He's scored 15 goals in 80 odd games. I had a look at his stats and despite being 26 in September he has only scored 36 goals in his entire career. TBF to him Brereton has an even worse record and has made an impact for Chile at Copa America.

He's 6"4 so I fully expect Clarke on the phone tomorrow for that reason alone. I'm kidding but it wouldn't surprise me if we see him in a squad or 2. If Dykes gets an injury for a squad, I could definitely see him getting a call up to be a target man replacement.

7 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He hasn't even hit it over the course of his 2 seasons there. He's scored 15 goals in 80 odd games. I had a look at his stats and despite being 26 in September he has only scored 36 goals in his entire career. TBF to him Brereton has an even worse record and has made an impact for Chile at Copa America.

He's 6"4 so I fully expect Clarke on the phone tomorrow for that reason alone. I'm kidding but it wouldn't surprise me if we see him in a squad or 2. If Dykes gets an injury for a squad, I could definitely see him getting a call up to be a target man replacement.

It seems he’s been used out wide and this may partly explain his low scoring. I’d still hunt him though. I want to stick with Nisbet for a period of games. I’ve convinced myself he’ll score goals. 

Not keen on this guy switching back tbh but let's face it if he was banging goals in the EPL every week we wouldn't be turning him down regardless of his constant switching. He seems to be quite poor anyways, can only see him being called up if we are very desperate which we have been in recent years tbf so he might sneek in over the next 6 or so years. 

Edited by mccaughey85

10 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

He's 6 foot 4 so fully expect Dykes to play up top and this fella as a target man winger - two areas of the pitch to lump it to hopefully!  Clarke'll be round his house selling the dream :) 

Why not just welcome his availability but make it clear to him that he needs to perform at club level to get a call up. 

Its better to have lots of options rather than none. Its not an either or. If he performs better than Dykes or Nisbet next year then surely he would be a better option for us?

Competition is healthy.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Why not just welcome his availability but make it clear to him that he needs to perform at club level to get a call up. 

Its better to have lots of options rather than none. Its not an either or. If he performs better than Dykes or Nisbet next year then surely he would be a better option for us?

Competition is healthy.

Agree with this.

4 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Competition is healthy.

Absolutely.  Players get injured, get suspended, lose form - it's good to have as many options as possible.

11 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Competition is healthy.

I don't like how he's switched constantly between us and England but he's now chosen us and if hes good enough he will get a call up. Problem is he's not very good, he will have to start scoring a few more goals to get a call up. His record at championship level is poor. 

7 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't like how he's switched constantly between us and England but he's now chosen us and if hes good enough he will get a call up. Problem is he's not very good, he will have to start scoring a few more goals to get a call up. His record at championship level is poor. 

I’m not sure if switching once and potentially switching back can legitimately be described as constantly but if he decides he wants to play for Scotland then it will be up to Steve Clarke to decide if he’s good enough to get into the squad or not. I haven’t seen much of him but from what people are saying and from what I’ve read he’s probably not going to get selected anyway. 

According to Wikipedia he switched to England just after his Scottish dad died so it sounds like he might only have played for our u19s to please his old man and jumped ship as soon as he could no longer disappoint him. At least if he does come back and does get selected he is actually half Scottish and doesn’t just have a Scottish granny that left Scotland in 1928. 

59 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure if switching once and potentially switching back can legitimately be described as constantly but if he decides he wants to play for Scotland then it will be up to Steve Clarke to decide if he’s good enough to get into the squad or not. I haven’t seen much of him but from what people are saying and from what I’ve read he’s probably not going to get selected anyway. 

According to Wikipedia he switched to England just after his Scottish dad died so it sounds like he might only have played for our u19s to please his old man and jumped ship as soon as he could no longer disappoint him. At least if he does come back and does get selected he is actually half Scottish and doesn’t just have a Scottish granny that left Scotland in 1928. 

Yeh switching constantly is maybe an exaggeration but it's still not a great look. Tbh I don't really mind that much and he's probably not going to get much gametime with us anyway unless his career really takes off.