Clarke committed to Scotland - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Clarke committed to Scotland

kumnio

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was absolutely devastated when he left Killie but only thing that kept me sane was fact he was going to Scotland. 

The man is a genius.  Took a killie team bottom of the league to Europe and taking a Scotland at their lowest eb to quite possibly their finest hour. 

100 years almost since we won 6 on the spin. 

Enjoy it lads, we all deserve it!

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Was absolutely devastated when he left Killie but only thing that kept me sane was fact he was going to Scotland. 

The man is a genius.  Took a killie team bottom of the league to Europe and taking a Scotland at their lowest eb to quite possibly their finest hour. 

100 years almost since we won 6 on the spin. 

Enjoy it lads, we all deserve it!

0399A4E2-99AC-439B-8E8F-5B757DD6D205.jpeg

6 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

The question is can we keep hold of clarke for a long time? 

Theres going to be big offers for him, hopefully we break the bank to keep him in the job. 

I'm not concerned about offers. Southgate hasn't been linked with any jobs and despite performing minor miracles with northern Ireland, O'Neil ended up at the might Stoke.

I can't see Clarke jumping ship for a mediocre side and I don't think the big guns will be after him

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm not concerned about offers. Southgate hasn't been linked with any jobs and despite performing minor miracles with northern Ireland, O'Neil ended up at the might Stoke.

I can't see Clarke jumping ship for a mediocre side and I don't think the big guns will be after him

This is bang on 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

I reckon clarke will stay but there is always a chance he could be tempted back to club football. If he gets a big offer from a big championship club or an epl club then he might be tempted. Mcleish and Smith both dumped us as soon as something better came along.  

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I reckon clarke will stay but there is always a chance he could be tempted back to club football. If he gets a big offer from a big championship club or an epl club then he might be tempted. Mcleish and Smith both dumped us as soon as something better came along.  

Clarke isn't mcliesh or Smith so I'm not sure why that's relevant. 

55 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Lol I never said he is.

It's relevant because they were scotland managers, who then fukked off after only a short period of success in the job. 

Clarke whether we like it or not will get decent offers(probably alot more money than he's on currently) , just have to hope he's happy to stay with Scotland and isn't tempted by club football. 

Edited by mccaughey85

56 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Lol I never said he is. 

It's relevant because they were scotland managers, who then fukked off after only a short period of success in the job. 

Clarke whether we like it or not will get decent offers(probably alot more money than he's on currently) , just have to hope he's happy to stay with Scotland and isn't tempted by club football. 

Edited by mccaughey85

43 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol I never said he is. 

Tbh if it wasn't Rangers, Smith would never have left. 

I think Clarke would be similar that unless it's a club very close to his heart he wouldn't leave. The only club I can think of close to his heart is Chelsea, were he is a living legend. That's never going to happen, so I don't see Clarke leaving for quite a while.

22 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

That would be frustrating. Annoying finally finish second in qualifying group for first time since euro 2004 qualifying and yet it means nothing in terms of seedings for euro 2024 draw.

I'm sure regardless of performance in nations league, we are pretty close to guaranteed a playoff, once the teams have qualified through their groups. 

Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Rep. of Ireland all finished bottom in the B tier and still got a playoff place.

11 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Smith, I suspect, wouldn't have left Scotland for any other job but Rangers and tbf to McLeish, he was still a fairly young manager at the time and he was presented with the opportunity to manage in the EPL.  He'd also just finished a campaign and his stock was still high.

Clarke has already coached and managed in the EPL and is probably at a point in his career now where international football suits him.  Regardless of what happens in March, I think he'll remain in post until the end of the next Euros campaign at least.

Clarke deserves a lot of credit for turning this team around.  A little over two and a half years ago we suffered, for me, one the worst results in the history of the national team, the 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan.  To get to where we are now in such a relatively short space of time is excellent work.

I think a lot credit has to be given to his coaching staff too.  Getting two highly regarded coaches in John Carver and Austin MacPhee on board was a real coup.  It wasn't that long ago that we had people like Kenny Black and Peter Grant involved in coaching the players!

I get the distinct impression that Steve Clarke is really loving the job and the challenge. Heck it is even forcing a smile out of Clarke quite a few times of late. And international management sometimes suits some coaches more than others. At the moment he is riding a wave and I reckon he is smart enough to know that jumping off for a league job would be a mighty risk given how fickle football club chairmen can be.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol I never said he is. 

Not sure what you found funny in that post.. 

As has been said, smith left because it was rangers, arguably the only club who could lure him away. Mcliesh was a young manager with ambition

Clarke on the other hand gives the impression he loves this role and has already experienced management in England.

Clarke may or may not get offers, of he does I'm not sure they will be as lucrative as you think

10 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Not sure what you found funny in that post.. 

As has been said, smith left because it was rangers, arguably the only club who could lure him away. Mcliesh was a young manager with ambition

Clarke on the other hand gives the impression he loves this role and has already experienced management in England.

Clarke may or may not get offers, of he does I'm not sure they will be as lucrative as you think

Just laughing at you stating the obvious. 

If clarke does get lucrative offers then he might be tempted. Maybe the Saudis might offer clarke big money to manage Newcastle. 😉

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just laughing at you stating the obvious. 

If clarke does get lucrative offers then he might be tempted. Maybe the Saudis might offer clarke big money to manage Newcastle. 😉

You're a twat min