Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier

er yir macaroon

5 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

McTominay plays - very regularly - for Manchester United, because he is a good player. There’s a reason he plays for Man. Utd. and Callum McGregor plays for Celtic. It’s not luck or coincidence. Players tend to end up playing their club football at the level they should be at. 

A player who is good enough for Man. Utd. is obviously more than good enough for Scotland. We’re crying out for players of that quality in fact.

All i care about is McTomminay's performances for us.What's the point of being good enough for man.utd,but not producing for Scotland.I don't think he has been bad for us,but i certainly hope for better than recent performances.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, thesaint said:

All i care about is McTomminay's performances for us.What's the point of being good enough for man.utd,but not producing for Scotland.I don't think he has been bad for us,but i certainly hope for better than recent performances.

It’s not two different people though. If someone proves over the 50 games of a club season that they’re a good footballer, who can play at a high level, then that means they’re a good player. Whether they happen to have had good matches previously in the 10 international matches per season doesn’t bother me. 50 games trumps 10 games. I want the best players in the team, not a random mismatch of players who happen to have had good matches for Scotland previously.

54 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Mctominay is a good club footballer, I think Mcginn is better.  Both should play alone with jack and gilmour.  These four are our best midfielders.  I would play them in a diamond.

Do any (successful) teams ever play a ‘diamond?’ I can’t think of any team that does, I thought it wasn’t even a real option, just something that people suggest when they’re trying to shoehorn four central midfielders into the same team!

4 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Do any (successful) teams ever play a ‘diamond?’ I can’t think of any team that does, I thought it wasn’t even a real option, just something that people suggest when they’re trying to shoehorn four central midfielders into the same team!

Eh, England won the World Cup using this formation 

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We have been here before. There have been many cases of us having players playing for big clubs who fail miserably in a Scotland shirt. It happens. Charlie Adam played for Liverpool and stank the place out in a Scotland top. Oli Burke came from Bundesliga's Red Bull Leipzig and flopped. By no means was Alan Hansen a mercurial success for Scotland despite playing for Liverpool. There have been other examples down through the years.

In short because a player plays for a big club is no guarantee of him starring for Scotland. McTominay was very disappointing in the tournament because expectations were so high.

I don’t think you can compare Charlie Adam and Oliver Burke to Scott McTominay. The former two both had one season, and twenty-odd appearances at the level you have mentioned, which would suggest that that wasn’t their true level. McTominay has four seasons and counting, 90 appearances, and has spent his entire career at that level, which would suggest so far that that probably is a level he belongs at.

Edited by Mickey The Brave

10 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

As in, England men’s team, in 1966?

I was meaning in modern football, and also, I thought England quite famously played 4-3-3 in 1966?

alf Ramsey’s ‘wingless wonders’ had Bobby charlton in a withdrawn centre forward role, be the top of the diamond.  Hurst and Peter’s were the inside forwards and more advanced in the 8 and 10 jerseys.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

alf Ramsey’s ‘wingless wonders’ had Bobby charlton in a withdrawn centre forward role, be the top of the diamond.  Hurst and Peter’s were the inside forwards and more advanced in the 8 and 10 jerseys.

I mean hunt not peters

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Ok, it seems there’s a bit of a debate about that - some people call it a 4-3-3, some people call it a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield. It seems to have varied a bit, depending on the opponent. I’d always heard of it as a 4-3-3, I didn’t realise it was sometimes considered a diamond.

Either way, I’m not sure a formation from 1966 will help us in 2021!

40 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

It’s not two different people though. If someone proves over the 50 games of a club season that they’re a good footballer, who can play at a high level, then that means they’re a good player. Whether they happen to have had good matches previously in the 10 international matches per season doesn’t bother me. 50 games trumps 10 games. I want the best players in the team, not a random mismatch of players who happen to have had good matches for Scotland previously.

Don;t quite understand that logic.If somebody plays 100 great games for a club,but never forScotland ,what's the point of having him playing for us.What advantage is to be gained by playing a guy who is great for his club only?Seems like a total waste of a postion in the team.As i said,don't think McTomminay has played badly for us,just think he could do better.

5 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but according to 'not the old firm' report Sam Gallagher Blackburn striker is declaring for Scotland. 

Never heard of him, but his stats for the last few seasons are shit.

He played for us as a kid, then switched to England, get him right to fuck. 

30 minutes ago, syecosse said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere but according to 'not the old firm' report Sam Gallagher Blackburn striker is declaring for Scotland. 

Is he.Tell him to go and take a f..k to himself.Not another arsehole who originally chose england.No thanks.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

Is he.Tell him to go and take a f..k to himself.Not another arsehole who originally chose england.No thanks.

Before any smart arse responds,the fact that he played for us as a kid,then defected to england ,makes it even worse.

44 minutes ago, thesaint said:

Don;t quite understand that logic.If somebody plays 100 great games for a club,but never forScotland ,what's the point of having him playing for us.What advantage is to be gained by playing a guy who is great for his club only?Seems like a total waste of a postion in the team.As i said,don't think McTomminay has played badly for us,just think he could do better.

I would assume that the fact that they’ve not played well for Scotland is nothing more than coincidence, based on a small sample size. I’d love our national team to be in a position to have an option whether or not to select a Man. Utd. regular, but that’s definitely not the position we’re in at the moment! McTominay, Robertson and Tierney are a level above anybody else we’ve got, and quite rightly are guaranteed their places in the team.

3 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

I would assume that the fact that they’ve not played well for Scotland is nothing more than coincidence, based on a small sample size. I’d love our national team to be in a position to have an option whether or not to select a Man. Utd. regular, but that’s definitely not the position we’re in at the moment! McTominay, Robertson and Tierney are a level above anybody else we’ve got, and quite rightly are guaranteed their places in the team.

When would it stop being a coincedance and become a fact.What use would it be for us to say,see that guy in midfield he is brilliant for man.utd.Unfortunately for us ..he does nothing,but we've got to play him .Don't get it.

1 minute ago, thesaint said:

When would it stop being a coincedance and become a fact.What use would it be for us to say,see that guy in midfield he is brilliant for man.utd.Unfortunately for us ..he does nothing,but we've got to play him .Don't get it.

Honestly, it wouldn’t stop being a coincidence for me. Taking the example that is being discussed here, if I was asked to select between Callum McGregor and Scott McTominay, to play in midfield for Scotland, my decision would always be based on analysing how good a player they are, based on the level they play their club football at. At no point could I justify analysing something on around 10 international games per season, rather than around 50 club games.

I think a lot of our fans like to bear grudges - ‘so and so left that guy unmarked, when we conceded a goal in the last Scotland game,’ ‘so and so hasn’t played well for us for a while.’ I don’t tend to remember which players have had bad games or good games for Scotland, by the time the next international break comes around. My opinion of each player is solely based on an analysis of how good they are, based on the level they play their club football at. International games are so few and far between, I don’t think it’s a fair way to assess someone’s abilities.

Just my personal opinion, and way of looking at things. I can understand why some people would see it differently though.

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

First of all I’d like us to defend.... I’d take nil nil with the odd goal  now and then.

The odd goal now and then isn’t exactly going to get us to another tournament and we’ll all be dead anyway due to boredom. 

On 6/26/2021 at 6:05 PM, csinclair said:

His strength is sitting in front on the defence and building attacks, something our other midfielders struggle with. Not sure why we'd play him further forward when we've got McGinn, McTominay (If he's not at the back), Christie, Gauld, Turnbull, McGregor

Well because he is better than all of them I would say

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

The odd goal now and then isn’t exactly going to get us to another tournament and we’ll all be dead anyway due to boredom. 

That’s such a vague statement, ‘get us to another tournament.’ We won’t be going to many World Cups for a long time, because we’re nowhere near good enough. A little bit of improvement, to make us one of the top 24 teams in Europe, and in with a chance of qualifying for the next European Championships should be our main aim, shouldn’t it? At least that buys us a bit of time to try things and make a few mistakes along the way as well.

11 hours ago, runningtings said:

Well because he is better than all of them I would say

I'm noticing a few people on here suddenly thinking Gilmour should be playing as the attacking midfielder despite that not being his position. It's Darren Fletcher all over again.