Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier

er yir macaroon

14 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I completely disagree, we want Gilmour further up the pitch than Jack.

His strength is sitting in front on the defence and building attacks, something our other midfielders struggle with. Not sure why we'd play him further forward when we've got McGinn, McTominay (If he's not at the back), Christie, Gauld, Turnbull, McGregor

Edited by csinclair

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A point in Copenhagen would be one of the best qualification results in years.

After dodgy first 15 minutes they've strolled it v Wales. Also completely battered Austria and Israel away.

Top 8 team in europe currently if not higher.

Edited by Tartan Chris

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

A lot of people going for Adams. He’s neat and tidy but is he a goal scorer? I’m tempted to go with Nisbet. He also has an excellent touch outside the box so he can help build the play. I think it’s clear he is a natural in front of goal. 

Better scorer than Dykes by a mile. 22 goals in his last championship season. Took him a while to get going in premier league but 13 premier league goals since 5th July 2020 is solid enough, scored v likes of Man. City and Chelsea in last year.

I think he'll score a few in the group as long as he keeps starting games so think in long run he'll have a reasonable scoring record at international level.

10 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Better scorer than Dykes by a mile. 22 goals in his last championship season. Took him a while to get going in premier league but 13 premier league goals since 5th July 2020 is solid enough, scored v likes of Man. City and Chelsea in last year.

I think he'll score a few in the group as long as he keeps starting games so think in long run he'll have a reasonable scoring record at international level.

I think Nisbet is more composed than Adams but maybe lacks the strength. If we have a formation with more advanced midfielders (4-2-3-1) I think I’d prefer a poacher in there (i.e. Nisbet). 

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think Nisbet is more composed than Adams but maybe lacks the strength. If we have a formation with more advanced midfielders (4-2-3-1) I think I’d prefer a poacher in there (i.e. Nisbet). 

Nisbet took his goal v Holland well so shouldn't be discounted.

Need to get away from this idea though you need a big targetman for every single minute of every single game, as said above the three Danish CBs are hardly going to be scared of Lyndon Dykes.

So Adams central dropping deep and linking play with likes of Fraser and another quick option the other side is probably the best bet, Adams was fine holding it up v England from what I saw.

19 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Nisbet took his goal v Holland well so shouldn't be discounted.

Need to get away from this idea though you need a big targetman for every single minute of every single game, as said above the three Danish CBs are hardly going to be scared of Lyndon Dykes.

So Adams central dropping deep and linking play with likes of Fraser and another quick option the other side is probably the best bet, Adams was fine holding it up v England from what I saw.

Adams is fine outside the box and could even be one of the supporting players (in the three) but I think Nisbet is a better finisher and also has excellent technique. 

48 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

A point in Copenhagen would be one of the best qualification results in years.

After dodgy first 15 minutes they've strolled it v Wales. Also completely battered Austria and Israel away.

Top 8 team in europe currently if not higher.

7th best team in Europe according to the world rankings. They will be the best team we’ll face this year by a long way. 

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

A lot of people going for Adams. He’s neat and tidy but is he a goal scorer? I’m tempted to go with Nisbet. He also has an excellent touch outside the box so he can help build the play. I think it’s clear he is a natural in front of goal. 

8 goals in the EPL this season and 2 goals in his first 2 Scotland games would suggest he is. TO some extent Adams has been one of the few bright spots in the Euros. Nisbet not done enough yet to replace him IMO but now has a chance to prove, if he gets some game time - and should do as Dykes looks to have  gone as far as he can.

Just now, DAVIDB46 said:

We never have enough belief in key games , still think Wales are pish with two “world class” players but they have belief way about their abilities .

we probably still would not have gone out of the Wales group .

Oh I think we would have found a way to feck it up...

7 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

At present I would probably go for:

Marshall

Tierney Hanley Cooper Robertson

McTominay Jack Gilmour 

Fraser Adams McGinn

That’s my solution to the Robertson/Tierney dilemma as well - Tierney at right back.

In fact, that’s pretty much been my favoured line-up for a while now, except with McGinn in the midfield 3, instead of Ryan Jack, and Stuart Armstrong as one of the two wide players.

3 hours ago, Mickey The Brave said:

I think if Clarke picked a team that was as defensive as that, he’d get pelters! I’m not even sure what formation you’d call that - 3-6-1? We need at least one creative player in there surely, whether that be a Christie, a Forrest, a Fraser, or someone else?

Gilmour . Have we a more creative player?

20 minutes ago, Mickey The Brave said:

That’s my solution to the Robertson/Tierney dilemma as well - Tierney at right back.

In fact, that’s pretty much been my favoured line-up for a while now, except with McGinn in the midfield 3, instead of Ryan Jack, and Stuart Armstrong as one of the two wide players.

Well, that proves he is not Taylor at any rate! Armstrong is a headless chicken I now think. Squad player at best.

6 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Going to a be a tough night in Vienna too on this evidence. 

Yeah, granted Austria and Denmark aren’t the trickiest teams we could have been drawn against in their respective pots, but they’re both a good bit above us in terms of standard, and will both take some beating. Austria are more than one whole pot above us, in terms of ranking when the draw was made, and that’s a difficult gap to bridge.

1 minute ago, Third Lanark said:

Well, that proves he is not Taylor at any rate! Armstrong is a headless chicken I now think. Squad player at best.

I see him doing really good things with Southampton, so I assume he could do the same for Scotland. He’s no mug, given how much game time he gets for a decent English Premier League team, that I think plays a decent brand of football