Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your team versus Denmark in WC qualifier

er yir macaroon

Gordon

Hanley.      Cooper.   Tierney

Patterson.                Jack.                     Robertson

Mctominay.     Gilmour.   Mcginn

Adams

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not going to make any friends but I don't think McGinn should be a guaranteed starter.

I said on here a year or so ago that he is pretty dreadful, he then scored a hat trick, but I still think he is dreadful 😂

For a midfielder, his passing is absolutely awful, and he has no positional awareness at all. If he does play, it has to be behind the striker, when he plays further back, it really is like playing with ten men. Saying that, he does seem to have the skill of being in the right place at the right time and getting goals, which is something that we haven’t had for a very long time. 

19 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I said on here a year or so ago that he is pretty dreadful, he then scored a hat trick, but I still think he is dreadful 😂

For a midfielder, his passing is absolutely awful, and he has no positional awareness at all. If he does play, it has to be behind the striker, when he plays further back, it really is like playing with ten men. Saying that, he does seem to have the skill of being in the right place at the right time and getting goals, which is something that we haven’t had for a very long time. 

He might not be as good as some people think but to call him dreadful is ridiculous. 

For me, we've got to get away from playing 5-3-2 and trying to fit so many primarily defensive minded midfielders into the same team. I realise it is the strongest area of the squad but I feel it leaves us devoid of creativity. 

We also now have some Centre half's playing at a decent level, meaning there is not the same need for additional cover in that area of the pitch. Not that the extra bodies has helped us to concede fewer goals anyway. 

I'd love to see us line up against Denmark in a 4-3-3 (4-5-1 out of possession). Playing Tierney left wing, in front of Robertson, would allow them to continue operating in much the same way as they have of late when Tierney has brought the ball out of defence and drove forward. The three in centre midfield could be pretty interchangeable, with McGregor, Armstrong, Christie, Jack, Gauld and Turnbull all able to slot in. 

The team I'd like to see in September would be:

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Cooper Robertson 

Mctominay Mcginn Gilmour

Fraser                                Tierney 

Adams

Edited by Pluto

3 minutes ago, Pluto said:

For me, we've got to get away from playing 5-3-2 and trying to fit so many primarily defensive minded midfielders into the same team. I realise it is the strongest area of the squad but I feel it leaves us devoid of creativity. 

We also now have some Centre half's playing at a decent level, meaning there is not the same need for additional cover in that area of the pitch. Not that the extra bodies has helped us to concede fewer goals anyway. 

I'd love to see us line up against Denmark in a 4-3-3 (4-5-1 out of possession). Playing Tierney left wing, in front of Robertson, would allow them to continue operating in much the same way as they have of late when Tierney has brought the ball out of defence and drove forward. The three in centre midfield could be pretty interchangeable, with McGregor, Armstrong, Christie and Turnbull all able to slot in. 

The team I'd like to see in September would be:

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Cooper Robertson 

Mctominay Mcginn Gilmour

Fraser                                Tierney 

Adams

I find this setup very tempting at least to try. 

We need goals so, for me, both Turnbull and Fraser have to start.

Marshall

McTominey          Hanley            Tierney

Patterson/Hickey         Gilmour            Jack                Robertson

Turnbull              Fraser

Adams

Squad-wise I'd drop Fleck and McLean who don't really add anything unique to the squad and bring in Gauld and Lewis Ferguson (who brings a degree of physicality that we don't have at the moment!)

I like the idea of left mid for Tierney, him and Robertson overlapping each other has worked in small doses really well:

Marshall

Patterson        Hanley            Cooper                   Robertson

Jack              

Christie              Gilmour             McGinn              Tierney

Adams

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

A lot of people going for Adams. He’s neat and tidy but is he a goal scorer? I’m tempted to go with Nisbet. He also has an excellent touch outside the box so he can help build the play. I think it’s clear he is a natural in front of goal. 

I think you’d have to prove yourself at a much higher level than Hibernian, to be a serious candidate for an international place. Ideally someone playing at that level would be nowhere near the squad, but unfortunately, such is the lack of attacking options at the moment.

16 minutes ago, runningtings said:

I like the idea of left mid for Tierney, him and Robertson overlapping each other has worked in small doses really well:

Marshall

Patterson        Hanley            Cooper                   Robertson

Jack              

Christie              Gilmour             McGinn              Tierney

Adams

I’m guessing you’re a Rangers fan?!

1 minute ago, Mickey The Brave said:

Sorry! I assumed that’s where you got Ryan Jack ahead of Scott McTominay from!

Or, maybe you’re a Celtic fan, and that’s why we’ve got Christie and Tierney on the flanks.

Or maybe his club affiliation has hee haw to do with who he feels should play for Scotland? 

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Gordon

Hanley.      Cooper.   Tierney

Patterson.                Jack.                     Robertson

Mctominay.     Gilmour.   Mcginn

Adams

That in my opinion is our best 11 . Wouldnt change a thing with that team . Good choice 

17 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

That in my opinion is our best 11 . Wouldnt change a thing with that team . Good choice 

I think if Clarke picked a team that was as defensive as that, he’d get pelters! I’m not even sure what formation you’d call that - 3-6-1? We need at least one creative player in there surely, whether that be a Christie, a Forrest, a Fraser, or someone else?

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think anyone should be guaranteed a start with the possible exception of Tierney. Robertson is obviously guaranteed a start as captain but if we do go back to a back 4 that might not always be the case. 

Mctominay is guaranteed a start because he plays for man united 

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Denmark just scored a wonderful team goal. 

They are a very good team. In the office predictor I tipped a Denmark v Belgium final, was looking unlikely after the Eriksen horror but they're back on track.