Biggest dissapointment - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest dissapointment

weekevie04

Mctominay as well we shoe horn him into the side just because of who he plays for.

He is a defencer who cannot defend and midfielder who is very poor on the ball and dreadful distribution.

He is one of those guys who will get to 60-70 caps by default and no one will have a clue why 

Edited by DAVIDB46

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Mctominay as well we shoe horn him into the side just because of who he plays for.

He is a defencer who cannot defend and midfielder who is very poor on the ball and dreadful distribution.

He is one of those guys who will get to 60-70 caps by default and no one will have a clue why 

Just googled Albiston ; he got 14 caps i always thought he was crap but played for ( a poor ) man utd

Steim seemed to like him though

14 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Steve Clarke 

Same.

Our first game was our 'easiest' of the three on paper (at home!!!) and we should have played our most talented XI regardless of experience (or whatever Clarke's excuse was not to play Gilmour). 

The Covid thing, too. What's the point in a squad bubble if "The Scotland squad were allowed to visit family during that 48-hour window." Maybe being more strict instead of being a 'friend' would have seen us with a better than a -4 GD of a showing. 

44483235-9709755-Gilmour_s_mother_Carrie

Starting Billy Gilmour v The Czechs, and keeping the squad isolated would have been my preferences.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Myself in actually thinking we had the players to beat Croatia in a must win game. 

The hope does that and clouds the thinking. You tell yourself stuff to fuel the hope such as they are an old team that are past their best to try to eradicate the fact they are World Cup runners-up. You also tell yourself it is a one-off game and anything can happen but deep down the reality is class will tell the vast majority of the time as was the case here.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

A very average England team managed to beat them, we compounded the notion that England were an average team, so it was reasonable that we would think we could take something from the Croatia game.

If England are very average then what are we? Most of our team wouldn’t get in the England squad, never mind team. 

I think Croatia turned up with a plan. Get a point out of the first 2 games then go for it against the weakest team in the group. 

They played defensive against England and didn't have a plan b when they scored. 

They did the same against Czechs but managed to score a good goal that got them the point. They then new and did what they had to do against us. There formation and players changed in our game and they were up for it likw we were against England. 

Sadly Clarke put to much on the England game and not enough in the Czech game, that also left quite a few players very tired for the Croatia game. To me the Croatia team saved themselves for us. 

23 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Disappointment for me - 11 tournaments we've reached in our history...

Too young (or not born) for the first 4, attended the next 6, and couldn't fly due to the pandemic for this one.

23 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

..is there any other countries reached this and never got out the group stages?

Doubt it, as we were qualifying for World Cups (74, 78) when there was only 16 teams in the Finals.

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

A very average England team managed to beat them, we compounded the notion that England were an average team, so it was reasonable that we would think we could take something from the Croatia game.

Pretty sure we didn't see the real Croatia that night, as Stich says they probably rubbed their hands when they saw the draw.

I’m going to throw in set pieces as a huge disappointment. We had the players together for weeks and yet there was absolutely zero invention on our set pieces. Did we do any work on them at all? Every one just thrown into the box and usually came to nothing. Didn’t even see any efforts to block runners or give the opposition anything to think about.

I'm surprised McTominay is being singled out. He was played out of position in two of the games, and didn't do a lot wrong. We need to start using him in midfield if we want to see the best of him.

For me the biggest disappointment was the inability to take changes (open play and set piece). We just don't have the quality in attack that's needed at this level. There must be a reason why those players aren't being developed. 

Could you imagine how good our team would be right now if Harper, Gauld, Feruz and Burke had all fulfilled the potential they showed at 16/17 in full? Maybe assume that Liepzig converted Burke into a speedy and skillful right back to get them all in the eleven....

On 6/25/2021 at 1:44 PM, COLT NY said:

I'm surprised McTominay is being singled out. He was played out of position in two of the games, and didn't do a lot wrong. We need to start using him in midfield if we want to see the best of him.

For me the biggest disappointment was the inability to take changes (open play and set piece). We just don't have the quality in attack that's needed at this level. There must be a reason why those players aren't being developed. 

Could you imagine how good our team would be right now if Harper, Gauld, Feruz and Burke had all fulfilled the potential they showed at 16/17 in full? Maybe assume that Liepzig converted Burke into a speedy and skillful right back to get them all in the eleven....

Islam Feruz, FFS.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:36 AM, DAVIDB46 said:

McTominay is a prime example of how too much focus can be put on the club team a player plays for. While he’s a decent player, in my opinion he’s limited with poor defensive awareness and plays the game too much at his own pace (that irritating habit of rolling the ball with his foot as well!). Too many moments of slackness. Not a cdm and certainly not a centre half. 
The last time he wasn’t involved, we actually played some great football against the Dutch. 

On 6/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, Dodger said:

I’m going to throw in set pieces as a huge disappointment. We had the players together for weeks and yet there was absolutely zero invention on our set pieces. Did we do any work on them at all? Every one just thrown into the box and usually came to nothing. Didn’t even see any efforts to block runners or give the opposition anything to think about.

And the quality of the balls into the box are usually awful as well, giving our players very little chance of getting on the end of them. Do none of our players practise crossing the ball into the box from corners or free kicks? There must be somebody in the squad who can do it better than we currently do? I reckon I could deliver better quality corners than we currently do. As long as that was all I had to do, I'm not into all this running aboot stuff. :lol:

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

And the quality of the balls into the box are usually awful as well, giving our players very little chance of getting on the end of them. Do none of our players practise crossing the ball into the box from corners or free kicks? There must be somebody in the squad who can do it better than we currently do? I reckon I could deliver better quality corners than we currently do. As long as that was all I had to do, I'm not into all this running aboot stuff. :lol:

Gauld!

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I thought the set pieces were awful. Turnbull can hit a dead ball. So can McGinn but he never hit any corners that I can remember. 

48 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

A thoroughly enlightening good read, but also a disappointing read.

I reckon that so many normal people can see issues in our society and game, but the people in charge either can’t see it, or don’t want to change. We use the same tired pathetic excuses, and almost seem to revel in it. 

The disappointments:-

Kieran Tierney missing the Czech game at the last minute due to injury.

Billy Gilmour testing positive for COVID and missing the crunch Croatia game.

Those two blows were massive.

The form of 'star players' like McTominay.

The lack of cutting edge in attack.

The old bad habits biting us in the arse again conceding goals by not closing down attackers near our penalty area.

The positives:-

Being involved in a major tournament again and the excitement that came with it.

Billy Gilmour's emergence V England.

The team performance V England.

18 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Pretty scary when you get shown just how far behind other countries we are, it might even be a permanent state.

44 players in major leagues tells it's own story.

Biggest worry is that young Danes have been targeted by European clubs for years and a lot of the ones who make it return Denmark to nurture the next generation. So even now when it appears more of our prospects are leaving Scotland we still have to wait for their careers to progress before we really see the benefits . By my reckoning that makes us 15/20 years behind and even that would only get us to were Denmark, Croatia etc are now. How knows were they will be over the next few years

No Idea how to fix it bar a massive cash injection which won't happen as our biggest clubs are in a position to buy good European players and even our Aberdeen's Heart's Hib's etc can attract average foreign players with the wages they offer.

If you look at Scottish clubs in Europe it probably shows just how over valued our league is.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Pretty scary when you get shown just how far behind other countries we are, it might even be a permanent state.

44 players in major leagues tells it's own story.

Biggest worry is that young Danes have been targeted by European clubs for years and a lot of the ones who make it return Denmark to nurture the next generation. So even now when it appears more of our prospects are leaving Scotland we still have to wait for their careers to progress before we really see the benefits . By my reckoning that makes us 15/20 years behind and even that would only get us to were Denmark, Croatia etc are now. How knows were they will be over the next few years

No Idea how to fix it bar a massive cash injection which won't happen as our biggest clubs are in a position to buy good European players and even our Aberdeen's Heart's Hib's etc can attract average foreign players with the wages they offer.

If you look at Scottish clubs in Europe it probably shows just how over valued our league is.

Overvalued by whom? Most people outside of Scotland (and some people who live here as well) view our league as being very poor. 

Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of goals, we created a lot of chances and not putting a couple of them away was pretty much the fine line between us getting out of the group and being sat here writing this. Not that we're especially blessed but only taking 3 strikers was a bit puzzling, surely another different option - even someone inexperienced - was worth a squad place? 

16 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Overvalued by whom? Most people outside of Scotland (and some people who live here as well) view our league as being very poor. 

Overvalued by the people who put money into the league via tv rights sponsorship etc. Means their enough money floating about to pay the wages of some one who should be at Forest Green .

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Overvalued by the people who put money into the league via tv rights sponsorship etc. Means their enough money floating about to pay the wages of some one who should be at Forest Green .

Sponsors don’t really care about the quality of the league. All they care about is exposure and the Scottish Premiership does get some decent viewing figures, mainly due to interest in the Old Firm. 

If Rangers and Celtic didn’t exist there would be very little interest from league sponsors or TV companies.