Biggest dissapointment - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Biggest dissapointment

weekevie04

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Armstrong for me.

I think he's a great player, but he's been absolutely shite this tournament.

Agree 100%.

Annoys me how casual he is in possession at times, gave the ball away on numerous occasions.

Its hard to see where he’d fit in to our midfield if everyone was fit.

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Agree about Armstrong. Dykes is probably up there too in disappointments. 

My greatest disappointment is in myself being weak minded enough to be convinced by you to believe we could do it following the Netherlands friendly ;)

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

My greatest disappointment is in myself being weak minded enough to be convinced by you to believe we could do it following the Netherlands friendly ;)

😂 

Likewise, my next greatest disappointment is being too weak to resist the 2 bottles of Sauvignon that allowed ME to be convinced. 

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Steve Clarke 

He’s the biggest problem, said it from the start of his reign he isn’t up to the job

3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Probably McTominay for me. Can't really be disappointed by players who I don't expect much from.

Fair point.
I was probably deceived by his earlier games, though I do think he is capable of more than he showed. 

9 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Agree about Armstrong. Dykes is probably up there too in disappointments. 

Burke messiah

No mcburnie is

No dykes

No Adams

Long line of rank average guys not brought up in this country who all fail to deliver 

Fact, we haven't produced a good Scottish striker since  Dalglish 

We can't even find one better than these haddies who have declared for us 

Let's get the think tank up again 

Just now, Bino's said:

Burke messiah

No mcburnie is

No dykes

No Adams

Long line of rank average guys not brought up in this country who all fail to deliver 

Fact, we haven't produced a good Scottish striker since  Dalglish 

We can't even find one better than these haddies who have declared for us 

Let's get the think tank up again 

McBurnie still is.

Guest Scot1
18 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

If that is going to be your opinion then you should at least say who should be coach. Only candidate I can think of is Callum Davidson.

That is my opinion, you can go and check my post history, said it as soon as he took over.

Since there is only 1 decent Scottish manager out there, Davie Moyes, and I can’t see him leaving West Ham. I’d be looking on the continent for an attack minded manager. Someone who usually plays possession based attacking football 

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Armstrong for me.

I think he's a great player, but he's been absolutely shite this tournament.

One of my mates said after the game last night something I think is very true. It was along the lines that ‘Armstrong plays on the fringes or the game’. I thought that very true.  

A burst here and there, some nice touches, passes crosses but ultimately if he’s playing on the fringes of the game then that’s not what we need. Squad player nevertheless. 

I see others mentioning McTominay. I think it is becoming increasingly apparent that he doesn’t fit. I don’t think he’s got great quality for the midfield role and is prone to a mistake a game at the back. Managers will want to fit him in but I don’t think it’s doing it for us. 

Up front we are just really struggling and there’s no obvious answer on the horizon.  

Tactical naivety from the coach. Can't blame the players as they gave their all, even if some of our play was embarrassing at times. OK its our first tourney for 23 years, the players and the national manager but he does have experience of high pressure games so thought we would perform better overall.

I just can't help feeling he approached this tourney as a set of 3 league games rather than 3 cup finals, with at least one as a must win. It can't be of course but that's how it appears. We'd beaten the Czechs twice last year, admittedly once with a 3rd stream line up but believed we had a better and stronger team now - Gilmour, Adams, Cooper, Patterson, Nisbet. Did not really see the Robbo-Tierney partnership that looked so good last year and even moreso, a change in tactics that we had seen in other matches - if things weren't going well - by changing shape and bringing on players like Fraser and Forrest to go direct as a goal threat (on the ground)! It's almost like we just adopted the long ball punt and hope and are going backwards in development, not forwards. We've gone from a ten game unbeaten run to two wins in ten.

Gilmour was a revelation  though and almost need to build the team around him for the future but the Czech and Croatia games were bitterly disappointing.