Where do we go from here? - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Where do we go from here?

ICT fan Shaun

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Actually, Hendry, Hanley and Cooper are good solid centre halves - a massive upgrade on Mulgrew, Devlin and Findlay that Clarke started his reign with. No need really to play McTom there IMO, he needs to play in his Man U role if we play him. Not sure that he is an automatic pick any more anyway. Don't forget the players wanted to play in a back 3 because we were shipping goals, and we needed to shoe horn Tierney in. I think we need to find the right players to fit in to a 4-2-3-1 system which is what most of the top teams are playing now.

Keep an eye on Liam morrison at Bayern also 

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Paterson, Gilmour, Turnbull even. They all need to play for us - get them in and no better baptism of fire than away to Denmark. Even if we get humped, stick with them!

Turnbull needs to be properly bloodied; he brings a goal threat including from free kicks and won't go haring around like a headless chicken.

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Tierney Robbo

Jack

Gilmour McTominay  McGinn

Turnbull

Adams

Hopefully Marshall and/or Gordon don't retire as who knows where we go for a keeper after that, and we still need to find a striker unless Griffiths does a Lazarus, but I don't think that's a bad team.

7 minutes ago, Instant coffee said:

Griffiths when fit is still the best striker for Scotland. He'll be making a comeback when the world cup qualifiers start again

He sounds like he's a good frame of mind. He's been speaking to big Ange, and been in pre-season training pre-pre-season (if that makes sense) we need a clinical finisher like him.

8 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Tierney Robbo

Jack

Gilmour McTominay  McGinn

Turnbull

Adams

Hopefully Marshall and/or Gordon don't retire as who knows where we go for a keeper after that, and we still need to find a striker unless Griffiths does a Lazarus, but I don't think that's a bad team.

It's not a bad team but I wouldn't have Tierney in a back four where his lack of height is a liability.

Guest Scot1

I’m hoping that in the next couple of seasons Lewis Ferguson will emerge as the holding midfielder and take over the role from Jack. 

Edited by Scot1

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

Is Liam Kelly any use? A young lad, and the few times I've seen him he's looked impressive. Hopefully he pushes on.

He's one of the modern breed who are encouraged to play out from the back. We can maybe use him and Zander Clark to buy time while the young keepers develop. Marshall still has 3-4 years left. Plenty of other countries use keepers in their late thirties.

2 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

He sounds like he's a good frame of mind. He's been speaking to big Ange, and been in pre-season training pre-pre-season (if that makes sense) we need a clinical finisher like him.

From what I've heard, he's looking forward to the new season and has lost a bit of weight, seemingly he's desperate to impress again

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It's not a bad team but I wouldn't have Tierney in a back four where his lack of height is a liability.

Agreed, that was exposed last night. We lose a lot of goals to crosses and need two orthodox centre half’s in the team, which to me means no mctominay in defence and tierney only if we play a back three.

26 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Agreed, that was exposed last night. We lose a lot of goals to crosses and need two orthodox centre half’s in the team, which to me means no mctominay in defence and tierney only if we play a back three.

I would be happy enough with Hanley and McKenna. Both are very quick and are reasonably good in the air. Two from Tierney, Jack and McTominay could operate in front with Gilmour pulling the strings. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I would be happy enough with Hanley and McKenna. Both are very quick and are reasonably good in the air. Two from Tierney, Jack and McTominay could operate in front with Gilmour pulling the strings. 

Hendry is miles better than McKenna 

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Paterson, Gilmour, Turnbull even. They all need to play for us - get them in and no better baptism of fire than away to Denmark. Even if we get humped, stick with them!

Going to need to hope Patterson gets a decent bit of game time off the bench next season or rotated as much as possible. It’s no good for us if he’s sitting on Rangers bench for 90% of the season.  

41 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Amazed that anyone would be banging the drum for Mckenna starting after last night 

1 hour ago, Instant coffee said:

Griffiths when fit is still the best striker for Scotland. He'll be making a comeback when the world cup qualifiers start again

He won’t be we need to move beyond griffiths he is hardly one for the future

5 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

How do we improve Scottish football ?
The answer hasn't changed since the 1990s...
In simple terms: Better coaching and more facilities to get more kids playing the game.

Iceland (same population as Aberdeen) is a good case study.
Built indoor pitches and trained lots of coaches.
Their golden generation didn't happen by chance.

This is a huge thing. I 100% feel we need the schools to get involved a lot more.  Boys are there every day and if playing every day became the norm we have again a playing pool like we had in 60/70/80s. Boys do not play up the park like used to happen years ago and high school kids sometimes the only football they play is kickabout a p.e and their boys club which may be only 1 or2 hrs a week, this is obviously not enough add into the mix boys dropping out football because of various other reasons like not getting on with  boys club coach,team not gd its easy for them to do where at the school it is a constant and there would become a bit of kudos attached to it with the whole school in support of their football team. Boys clubs would still continue as additional football rather than the now which is the main football with in some cases coaches who yes maybe have a sfa badge but in reality not really interested or any good although yes there are some excellent coaches all doing it voluntarily.

The performance schools are looking like they will start producing more good players than anything else so why not do something similar at all secondary schools as what happens to our country when the national team does well cannot be replicated by anything else in life. The excitement and goodwill over last 2 weeks has been great to see again.

There are 357 secondary schools in Scotland if there was for instance 1 football leader in every school earning £25k per year (this is nearly £9m per year) who was top class coach in control he could have coaching for say an hour every day with each year group with then  leagues with different year groups all playing on different days e.g 1st years monday 2nd years tuesday etc. then our footballing youth to choosew from would no doubt be greater and also improve massively. Boys can spend hours travelling to and from training and games for pro youth when it is not needed imo.

A huge outlay but football in our country is massive and we just go around hoping it works out which it did in 60/70/80s as there were loads playing it but we need to now actively promote and encourage and coach and quite frankly put a lot more effort into it to be successful.

We have the capability to do this its whether everyone can work together and put self interest to one side for the good of football that might be the problem.

26 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

This is a huge thing. I 100% feel we need the schools to get involved a lot more. self interest to one side for the good of football that might be the problem.

Exactly - its about making the nation sportier / healthier...

Active participation in sport should be seen as a good thing.  Rather than argue about tactics / player selection we need to look at the specific root cause for Scotland under-performing.  As you say : kids don't play football on the street anymore.  So how do we facilitate that at school?  If we get kids playing regularly then a better national team is just one of the benefits.

In short term.....play Adams as CF with likes of Fraser around him for rest of the qualifiers. I think Christie-Adams-Fraser will be a decent enough and mobile front 3 particularly for the away games.

Gilmour will start every game he's available for now which is good. If not then yes Clarke needs sacking. Turnbull needs to be given a proper chance aswell, surprised he didn't come on last night either once it became dead last 10 minutes.

Think Patterson coming on for last few minutes was just to introduce him to international football so I expect him to start a few of the qualifiers.

Not sure what to do at the back, have to hope a young CB comes through but ultimately Tierney and McTominay will still be needed in backline with the mediocre options.

Keeper also a big concern although Marshall will probably remain for another 18 months as number one.