Before we blame the subs - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Before we blame the subs

ParisInAKilt

While they have better players in certain departments, Croatia have been really poor this tournament and for a while in general. They are nowhere near the team they were 3 years ago when they overperformed at the world cup. Players are older, many are out of form and many of the newer players aren't of the same quality.

Yes they have better players but tactically like the Czech game we weren't set up right to counter it.

It's an easy out to say they have better players or they made the WC final.

Pass back to marshall.. Punt it.. They keep ball for fun...Repeat. 

Only one team actually played any decent football. 

But if you had offered me all of this after the campaign started with a 3 nil loss to the Kazachs then would have bit your hand off.

We have a young team who will learn from this. We need a finisher though and probably a new keeper.  

13 minutes ago, chaff said:

Totally. The long ball just gave it instantly back to Hrvatska putting us on the back foot over and over 

Not once did we play it from the back and keep possession

Gilmour allowed us to play out from back. He also allowed McGinn to play further forward. Both of which were key against Eng.

No doubt that ball possession is key at international level. Tire the other team out then strike when gaps appear. Croatia gave us master class of that tonight... 

The answer? Better youth coaching and facilities... Same as ever since 1998

Edited by Haggis_trap

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

We should have had someone rattling modric  from the off.  I’m looking forward to getting Ryan jack back in the team.

Jack would have made no difference tonight because we have nobody to take our chances 

To be honest, we are all emotional and if we are honest. We were never winning this match tonight 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Jack would have made no difference tonight because we have nobody to take our chances 

To be honest, we are all emotional and if we are honest. We were never winning this match tonight 

I don’t disagree that we were well beaten and one player wouldn’t make a big difference.  We let modric run riot.

Anyone thinking that just because Croatia might not be quite the team that got to the World Cup final, meant that we ought to be on a par with them is mental.

They were streets ahead of us tonight.

This wasn’t your typical Scottish disaster/fuck up. We just lost to a much better team on the night.

I’m nowhere near as disappointed as I’d normally be under these circumstances. Sometimes you’ve just got to accept you’re not quite there yet.

I’ve got high hopes for our young squad and I see a bright future 

Well,  when we did press them , they looked pretty vulnerable.  especially before half time.

Unfortunately we didn't take our chances. Despite no top notch striker we should've scored again especially when McGinn used wrong foot,  as I seen on replay.

Manager didn't take the opportunity at half time to change tactics/formation given the obvious shortcomings.

Team just weren't as cohesive as we would have hoped. We don't have to have exceptional players to play well as a team & be much greater than the sum of our parts.

3 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

He would have at least made it harder for them to dominate the middle

It doesn’t need two Rangers fans to to remind us that Jack was a loss in the sense that we didn’t really have a replacement for him, but anyone thinking he’d have made the difference to qualification from the group is deluded. 

7 minutes ago, Marky said:

It doesn’t need two Rangers fans to to remind us that Jack was a loss in the sense that we didn’t really have a replacement for him, but anyone thinking he’d have made the difference to qualification from the group is deluded. 

No, but a natural defensive midfielder playing other than Armstrong out of position in that role would have helped. McTominay for example.

Croatia get more stick than us for playing one way. We've known we've been playing them for a long time. England showed us how to nullify Croatia perfectly last week. Yet, we line up the same way, and go long when its not really working.

Tactics (or better game management) might have made a difference to qualification.

8 hours ago, Marky said:

what an amusing and presumptive post.  Why do you assume that anyone pointing out the loss of one of our top midfielders is a rangers fan? I haven’t indicated my club affiliation yet you incorrectly assume this.  If I mentioned that gilmour was missing would I be a Chelsea fan?

I have noticed several times that there appears to be a sinister agenda on here against rangers fans who in my opinion can are just as big Scotland fans as any other club, yet they appear to be derided on here.  Club loyalties are irrelevant when supporting the national team.

10 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

but we’re clearly not good enough.

And is that a surprise? Pit World Cup runners-up against a team playing in its first major tournament for 23 years and is it such a surprise to so many on here. 

Of course we'll get the pish of teary-eyed blokes claiming what about Wales in 2016? Difference being they were/are blessed with world class strikers in Gareth Bale and world class midfielder Aaron Ramsey.

47 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

what an amusing and presumptive post.  Why do you assume that anyone pointing out the loss of one of our top midfielders is a rangers fan? I haven’t indicated my club affiliation yet you incorrectly assume this.  If I mentioned that gilmour was missing would I be a Chelsea fan?

I have noticed several times that there appears to be a sinister agenda on here against rangers fans who in my opinion can are just as big Scotland fans as any other club, yet they appear to be derided on here.  Club loyalties are irrelevant when supporting the national team.

Please accept my apologies if I was having a case of mistaken identity but I thought both yours and Stu’s posting history clearly indicated you were Rangers fans.

Like I say, apologies if I’m wrong. I suspect I’m not tho. Not that it really matters. It wasn’t intended as the insult it appears to have been taken as. 

49 minutes ago, Marky said:

Please accept my apologies if I was having a case of mistaken identity but I thought both yours and Stu’s posting history clearly indicated you were Rangers fans.

Like I say, apologies if I’m wrong. I suspect I’m not tho. Not that it really matters. It wasn’t intended as the insult it appears to have been taken as. 

apology accepted, and I’m not a rangers fan 👍

I do think lots of people here (I’m talking generally, not you) have downers on anything to do with rangers so my posting history suggests that I’m sticking up for rangers even though I do not support rangers.

30 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

apology accepted, and I’m not a rangers fan 👍

I do think lots of people here (I’m talking generally, not you) have downers on anything to do with rangers so my posting history suggests that I’m sticking up for rangers even though I do not support rangers.

👍

I like Armstrong but he had a nightmare last night and should never have come out for the second half. I was praying to make it to half time just the 1 goal down, to go in at 1v1 was a huge boost. Again, a wee bit more positivity form Clarke and he would have changed it and came out guns blazing.