Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

You can bet your life England won't have issues like this. Does that mean Billy will have to leave altogether then?

No he is now self-isolating for 10 days. He will stay with the squad. If we were to somehow reach the QF's he'd be back available for that game. 

7 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

I was a wee bit worried the Croatia game might have come too soon after Billy's efforts on Friday. Not going to matter now anyway 😕

I was thinking the same thing. It'll make me feel better if I can convince myself he wouldn't have started anyway.

Crisis brings opportunity. Whoever comes in for him will have the incentive to prove they belong in there. We need a goalscorer on the park. Clarke might see this as an excuse to play 1 of Christie, Forrest, Fraser or Turnbull, who all have goals in them.

24 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was thinking the same thing. It'll make me feel better if I can convince myself he wouldn't have started anyway.

Crisis brings opportunity. Whoever comes in for him will have the incentive to prove they belong in there. We need a goalscorer on the park. Clarke might see this as an excuse to play 1 of Christie, Forrest, Fraser or Turnbull, who all have goals in them.

A bit of positivity at last. Whatever BG is he's not the one we rely on to put the ball in the net.

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

A bit of positivity at last. Whatever BG is he's not the one we rely on to put the ball in the net.

Gilmour will be one of the first names on the teamsheet for probably the next decade. His ability in undoubted. But we qualified without him, we've had some very good displays without him, and it would be a disservice to the rest of the squad if we think that his inclusion alone was the reason we drew against England, or that we have no chance against Croatia without him. Everyone on that pitch were heroes.

Armstrong, Christie, Fraser, Forrest, and Turnbull are all bloody good players. I'd be more than happy to see one of them included. And may well have started anyway. Though I'd have thought McGregor would be the one sacrificed, rather than Gilmour.

The Billy Gilmour news sent me into mild temporary depression, but the tweet about Meatball and Robbo sent me into an apoplectic 5 year old bairn, feet stamping paddy. 
Thank fuck it appears to be a fake. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Armstrong, Christie, Fraser, Forrest, and Turnbull are all bloody good players. I'd be more than happy to see one of them included. And may well have started anyway. Though I'd have thought McGregor would be the one sacrificed, rather than Gilmour.

Armstrong is a poor man's John McGinn. His modus operandi is get the ball, dip his head down and rampage forward like we did in primary school.

The next three are attacking midfielders and Turnbull is way too wet behind-the-ears.

9 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Armstrong is a poor man's John McGinn. His modus operandi is get the ball, dip his head down and rampage forward like we did in primary school.

The next three are attacking midfielders and Turnbull is way too wet behind-the-ears.

Obviously we all know Gilmour is potentially our best holding midfielder, but he's out, and we have to deal with it. All of those players I mentioned have different, but great qualities. Qualities that merited their inclusion in the squad. 

We're inevitably going to have to shift some people around, unless Fleck is brought in, which I doubt.

I'm trying to see the positives. An extra attacking player on the park might be exactly what we need. Though, as I said, I'd have preferred for the player dropped to be McGregor. But that decision has been forced upon us.

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Obviously we all know Gilmour is potentially our best holding midfielder, but he's out, and we have to deal with it. All of those players I mentioned have different, but great qualities. Qualities that merited their inclusion in the squad. 

We're inevitably going to have to shift some people around, unless Fleck is brought in, which I doubt.

I'm trying to see the positives. An extra attacking player on the park might be exactly what we need. Though, as I said, I'd have preferred for the player dropped to be McGregor. But that decision has been forced upon us.

I know.

I applaud your optimism, mate.

At the moment I'm in meltdown. At the minute I just can't see who will replace Gilmour.

I don't trust Armstrong, so that's out. Maybe McGinn deep and Fraser just behind the strikers.

11 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know.

I applaud your optimism, mate.

At the moment I'm in meltdown. At the minute I just can't see who will replace Gilmour.

I don't trust Armstrong, so that's out. Maybe McGinn deep and Fraser just behind the strikers.

In my opinion Mcginn drops from an 8+ to a 6 if you drop him back. sooner find a 7 to play beside Mcgregor

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

As others have said, losing Tierney on match day 1 was worse. But a psychological blow all the same. With all the hype surrounding him, the Croats will get a boost from this.

But let's not forget he wasn't even a first team player last week. We have a solid squad and we can do it without him. I'm sure of it.

1 thing we have missed this tournament is a player that can hit shots from distance, or hit a freekick. I would honestly be tempted to play Turnbull, at least off the bench. And maybe even start Christie.

The fact that it happened today rather than tomorrow will help I reckon. 

The players will have time for it to sink in and Clarke has time to change his game plan to accommodate whoever plays in place of Gilmour. 

2 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

In my opinion Mcginn drops from an 8+ to a 6 if you drop him back. sooner find a 7 to play beside Mcgregor

Yeah. Totally how I would go, too.

I don't 100% trust McGinn as a 6, but I certainly trust him more than McTominay, etc.

28 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I'm really surprised you'd have been happy to see McGregor to be dropped. I thought he was incredible next to Gilmour on Friday night.

23 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Totally agree. For the last 2 or 3 years, mcginn has been our best midfielder and our biggest goal threat. Complete waste to play him deep. The system we played on Friday gets the best out of him. 

For me that means McTominay back in midfield alongside Mcgregor against Croatia.