Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 21 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Tartan blood said:

I don't blame Clarke for not changing the formation or most of the players, because we were creating and looked a solid most of the time. But how many chances are Dykes and Adams supposed to get before we admit it isn't working. 

Fraser was criminally underused this tournament. 

I dont disagee. But how many people were thinking things weren’t working at half time tonight even when Dykes or Adams hadnt scored ? 
I am a bit ‘meh’ on Fraser. I doubt he is the messiah we are all waiting for. Though I totally agree we need to mix it up more. 

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist because we didnt beat Croatia . Saying we are ‘ accepting mediocrity’. Wtf planets are these people living on. 

I'm loving the fact we're all back to being football management experts in the TA Specific section, rather than expert virologists in the Coronavirus thread. :ok:

5 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I take it you're referring to Kevin Nisbet...I like Nisbet and I said earlier that I would like him to start, but I'm still not convinced he'd have done much better than Adams or Dykes.

We'll never know, though, will we? That's my point.

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Doesn’t matter how many EPL players we have when most of them are mid table games or relegation. 

Isn’t this the same shite England comes out with?

I am not going to argue with you mate there are too many slagging  posts on here tonight. I just think we could have performed better and with different tactics would have created clearer chances. That's all. 

7 minutes ago, exile said:

I'm not being critical of individual players either, but just disappointed there is a 'what could have been' lingering.

This has bothered me all tournament:  apart from left back, attacking midfield is probably our strongest position, but the majority of the time the onus has been fully on McGinn and our fullbacks to create. They did a fantastic job, but we barely used anyone with a bit of creativity in them. Fraser showed he has that when he came on, as he does every time he plays. As you say, an element of "what if".

2 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I am not going to argue with you mate there are too many slagging  posts on here tonight. I just think we could have performed better and with different tactics would have created clearer chances. That's all. 

I don’t disagree but saying we’ve players in the EPL means very little 

9 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I hope those comments are some new sort of humor I haven't experienced yet.

If not we scored one goal and let in five, we were at home for two of those games, if we were in group A we would have been eliminated first, we probably got the weakest first, second and third seeds and still got outplayed totally in the game that really mattered 

I was reacting to a comment suggesting we were frighteningly bad. I was just saying we played to form for a 4th seed.

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Clearer chances? I think we made those.

What i saw over the 3 games was a team who put in brave performances, but lacked the experience and composure to execute and score.

Was to be expected if we're honest, but don't worry - we're going to win Euro 2024 :ok:

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont disagee. But how many people were thinking things weren’t working at half time tonight even when Dykes or Adams hadnt scored ? 
I am a bit ‘meh’ on Fraser. I doubt he is the messiah we are all waiting for. Though I totally agree we need to mix it up more. 

Everyone is getting their knickers in a twist because we didnt beat Croatia . Saying we are ‘ accepting mediocrity’. Wtf planets are these people living on. 

Good point. Up until the last 45mins, we were still flying high. Once the dust settles, I think we'll look back and see that we generally did ourselves proud and have tons of encouragement for the next few years.

I think Clarke just waited too long for it to "click" with Dykes and Adams. And it did look like they formed a good partnership. But they ultimately failed, sadly.

6 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I've seen it all like you Tidy. It was clear at half time we'd got out of jail with the goal, yet we persisted with a system and personnel who were clearly getting a chasing in every department. 

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I don't wont to sound smug, but I was just as happy before we scored as it was obvious plan a wasn't working and major changes had to be made at half time to fix it. Once we got the equaliser  it was just a matter of time before we were behind again and how little time we would have left to fix it. And I have witness's to prove I said that at half time.

Just now, slasher said:

I've seen it all like you Tidy. It was clear at half time we'd got out of jail with the goal, yet we persisted with a system and personnel who were clearly getting a chasing in every department. 

Aye... if we could re-run the game it would have been interesting to see us switch to a back 4

10 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

That was a Croatia who've lost rakitic and  mandukic and still took us apart at home 

30 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

He can only get us further if we have better players.  

Particularly in defence and attack. If our defence and attack were as good as our midfield we'd be qualifying for things regularly. And if we weren't, the management would have serious questions to answer.

As it is, we're having to field players from Motherwell, Norwich, Nottingham Forest, QPR and Hibs and they're getting found out.  We conceded 5 goals in this tournament, 3 of them from crosses into the box.  A team with a striker or strikers of genuine international quality would have taken some of the many chances and half chances we created tonight, and against the Czech Republic and England.

You could have Pep Guardiola, Thomas Tuchel, Jürgen Klopp, José Mourinho - anyone you like - in charge and they still wouldn't be able to get much more out of this team. You can only piss with the dick you've got.

3 minutes ago, slasher said:

It was the same first game 

Ok. I believe we had more than 40 shots at goal over three games and scored once. It’s pretty obvious what the problem is.

There’s a big but here though. For most of my lifetime watching Scotland at tournaments, we’ve been thinking about who was retiring and how we’d replace them at the end of the tournament. Most of this team is here for at least 6 more years. If we find a reasonable goalscorer then we’ll be really fucking dangerous. Doesn’t need to be world class, not a two goals from three chances like Modric, just take one out of six. Even one out of eight we would have scored five goals in those three games.

I genuinely think we’re better place now than we have been since the mid eighties.

2 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don’t disagree but saying we’ve players in the EPL means very little 

Ok I mean they are good players.  Fraser the obvious one - he is fast and looks threatening. Gilmour has had several stand out performances this season and could have been introduced earlier like other teams  have done. Even on the 10 mins he was on Patterson looked threatening. All what ifs of course and just my opinion but with all good players that can  create better chances rather than punts up the park and a hopeful header which was used too often. 

2 minutes ago, biffer said:

Ok. I believe we had more than 40 shots at goal over three games and scored once. It’s pretty obvious what the problem is.

There’s a big but here though. For most of my lifetime watching Scotland at tournaments, we’ve been thinking about who was retiring and how we’d replace them at the end of the tournament. Most of this team is here for at least 6 more years. If we find a reasonable goalscorer then we’ll be really fucking dangerous. Doesn’t need to be world class, not a two goals from three chances like Modric, just take one out of six. Even one out of eight we would have scored five goals in those three games.

I genuinely think we’re better place now than we have been since the mid eighties.

Good post, think I'll go to bed on that one.

3 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Ok I mean they are good players.  Fraser the obvious one - he is fast and looks threatening. Gilmour has had several stand out performances this season and could have been introduced earlier like other teams  have done. Even on the 10 mins he was on Patterson looked threatening. All what ifs of course and just my opinion but with all good players that can  create better chances rather than punts up the park and a hopeful header which was used too often. 

Fraser barely plays for Newcastle and didn’t start a game for us 

8 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Not the point is  it?

Can't help but think if it hadn't been pointed out that Dykes was crap, we might've not been embarrassed tonight. 

Looked leggy from the start, Armstrongs worst game, just not at the races at all tonight. Never mind, it's certainly something to build upon. We need that cutting edge in front of goal, if we hadn't been creating chances then I'd be seriously worried.  Reaching the euros should now be an absolute minimum for us moving forward. 

16 minutes ago, exile said:

We'll never know, though, will we? That's my point.

I get your point, I'm just making an educated guess (or as educated as a layman can be!) that he wouldn't have made much difference anyway.

3 minutes ago, gkm_vancouver said:

Fraser barely get's a game for Newcastle, Mctominay is the worst player at Man Utd, Gilmour is a currently a Chelsea squad player, apart from Robertson the rest are average lower table performers ............really are kidding ourselves on about the quality of our players