Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

8 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Can he get us any further or better? Did he make the right decisions during this tournament? No and no and no.

I'd  have liked him to stand down but he hasn't so we carry on backing him through next qualifiers and keep hoping better players will emerge.

He can only get us further if we have better players.  

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Nope, you're a shite bag because you told me to grow up and called me a fuckin child. 

We can disagree all day long if you want but if you start insulting me I'll do it back.by some self awareness 

You started the insulting shite, I replied to it. I will buy you some self awareness if required. 

Skimming through this thread and no doubt everyone is as disappointed as me. 
I am probably the only woman on this board, and I will be the first to say that unless you have PLAYED football you will struggle to really offer any real suggestions on how to fix things.

However it is so bloody obvious to anyone with even an ‘F’ in football management that we are now constantly being let down in the final third. 
I dont know how we fix this. We have tried all combinations . Blaming Steve Clarke isnt the answer . How may fookin chances have we missed ?????

Perhaps we just need to admit that until we find a Gareth Bale we are where we are. 
That said,  anyone who cannot see we have come on leaps and bounds from 2 years ago needs to take a good look at themselves. 

I would also add that there a a couple of older posters who have turned up in the last few days who offer nothing but negativity.  Its good to have different opinions but we really dont need your token gestures  👍

3 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I am probably the only woman on this board, and I will be the first to say that unless you have PLAYED football you will struggle to really offer any real suggestions on how to fix things.

However it is so bloody obvious to anyone with even an ‘F’ in football management that we are now constantly being let down in the final third. 
I dont know how we fix this. We have tried all combinations . Blaming Steve Clarke isnt the answer . How may fookin chances have we missed ?????

Perhaps we just need to admit that until we find a Gareth Bale we are where we are. 
That said,  anyone who cannot see we have come on leaps and bounds from 2 years ago needs to take a good look at themselves. 

I would also add that there a a couple of older posters who have turned up in the last few days who offer nothing but negativity.  Its good to have different opinions but we really dont need your token gestures  👍

I think, overall, Dykes and Adams played well together. But, as the strikers, they failed at their main responsibility. I don't particularly care how well they can pass the ball between each other if it doesn't result in a goal. 

I think I feel most sorry for Andy Robertson. There is nothing he could have done more over the last 3 games to make it as easy as he could for them.

We need a goalscorer. Plain and simple. Maybe that is Nisbet. Is he going to get a fair shot though?

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm started to regret stick up for our back door qualification,I got carried away with i and I admit that. We've been shown what proper tournament teams are and I am frightened at how far behind we are.

Frightened? what were your tournament expectations? 

You can check back on the tournament expectations thread, my hopes were just to win a game. We never got that but we did draw with England and were competitive against all three sides 2 of which are top class teams. We need to improve a fair bit but getting to a tournament is success for us. We have got the monkey off our back and now we can make sure we at least go to the euros most years. That to me is signs of improvement and I am happy with that. 

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think, overall, Dykes and Adams played well together. But, as the strikers, they failed at their main responsibility. I don't particularly care how well they can pass the ball between each other if it doesn't result in a goal. 

I think I feel most sorry for Andy Robertson. There is nothing he could have done more over the last 3 games to make it as easy as he could for them.

We need a goalscorer. Plain and simple. Maybe that is Nisbet. Is he going to get a fair shot though?

This is the most obvious regret for me. We never saw a Scotland team set up to play that would suit Nisbet as striker, with Nisbet on the pitch, for more than a few minutes when it was too late.

I mean, he might have tried and failed. But we didn't try it, not seriously.

Edited by exile

I don't get it when folk say we need better players or better forwards. If that was the case why do we need a manager at all? Does he just say go out and play?  I thought Clarke was protecting his team with his answers,  now I think he just doesn't have the savvy (along with his crew) to compete at this level (and while we are at it,  beat Israel). We've only beaten Faroes and Luxembourg in last  10 games. 

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

I don't get it when folk say we need better players or better forwards. If that was the case why do we need a manager at all? Does he just say go out and play?  I thought Clarke was protecting his team with his answers,  now I think he just doesn't have the savvy (along with his crew) to compete at this level (and while we are at it,  beat Israel). We've only beaten Faroes and Luxembourg in last  10 games. 

The big regret is he's supposed to be a defensive organiser making teams hard to beat 

1 minute ago, gkm_vancouver said:

We’ve only beaten those teams because we’ve not got good enough players 

51 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The tactics were utter shite. If you’re happy with what we did over the three games, then good for you, but I’m certainly not. 

I mentioned Clarke’s miserable style after Austria and Israel, and these games just continue. He is more interested in trying to bore the opposition than trying to win games. 

Can I join your club, the way people accept mediocrity on here is unreal.

4 minutes ago, exile said:

This is the most obvious regret for me. We never saw a Scotland team set up to play that would suit Nisbet as striker, with Nisbet on the pitch, for more than a few minutes when it was too late.

I mean, he might have tried and failed. But we didn't try it, not seriously.

The warning signs were written all over the Luxembourg. Over the last 4 games, with them two together, one sclaffed goal.

I don't want to be too critical of those 2, because they did play well, on the most part. But I think going forward it should be one or the other, with a natural finisher as the main target man. 

3 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I completely agree on Andy Robertson.  He did everything he could and hopefully will have shut up his naysayers on here. 

On your last point, I hope so.  We are not blessed with alternatives and if we dont experiment we will never know. Nor should we write players off. Honestly , if anyone had told me 2 years ago I would be disappointed at Grant Hanley being taken off the park I would have laughed at them. But he really has changed my opinion of him the last few games .

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We’ve only beaten those teams because we’ve not got good enough players 

We've got 10 EPL players and two Champions League winners. O'Donnell,  Armstrong and Dykes were well off it tonight. Not their fault just how they were used. We could definitely have performed better. 

1 minute ago, TDYER63 said:

I completely agree on Andy Robertson.  He did everything he could and hopefully will have shut up his naysayers on here. 

On your last point, I hope so.  We are not blessed with alternatives and if we dont experiment we will never know. Nor should we write players off. Honestly , if anyone had told me 2 years ago I would be disappointed at Grant Hanley being taken off the park I would have laughed at them. But he really has changed my opinion of him the last few games .

I don't blame Clarke for not changing the formation or most of the players, because we were creating and looked a solid most of the time. But how many chances are Dykes and Adams supposed to get before we admit it isn't working. 

Fraser was criminally underused this tournament. 

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

The warning signs were written all over the Luxembourg. Over the last 4 games, with them two together, one sclaffed goal.

I don't want to be too critical of those 2, because they did play well, on the most part. But I think going forward it should be one or the other, with a natural finisher as the main target man. 

I'm not being critical of individual players either, but just disappointed there is a 'what could have been' lingering.

25 minutes ago, exile said:

Even so, we didn't do too badly for a 'back door qualification' team. We weren't obviously the whipping boys of the tournament; just one of the fourth seeds, who played to form. North Macedonia scored more, but were eliminated sooner.

I hope those comments are some new sort of humor I haven't experienced yet.

If not we scored one goal and let in five, we were at home for two of those games, if we were in group A we would have been eliminated first, we probably got the weakest first, second and third seeds and still got outplayed totally in the game that really mattered 

55 minutes ago, exile said:

Maybe we have a goalscorer but he spent 83 minutes on the bench?

No problem if Dykes and Adams are the first choice, at the ouotsrt, but when it's not producing goals, why not try something different, while there is still a chance?

I take it you're referring to Kevin Nisbet...I like Nisbet and I said earlier that I would like him to start, but I'm still not convinced he'd have done much better than Adams or Dykes. 

I mean, nae disrespect but he plays for Hibs.  If he was a player of the calibre I'm thinking of, i.e. someone capable of scoring regularly at international level, I'd expect him to be playing his club football at a higher level.

We obviously won't know for certain until he gets a run in the side, but if he really was a cut above our other strikers you'd also hope it would be obvious to our coaching staff.

53 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I thought the pressing and composure in midfield was fine v England so they can do it against allegedly top tier teams.

Croatia have got proper world class midfielders so they were always going to win the possesion duel but you can beat them in other ways, I mean they weren't convincing at all dealing with crosses tonight were they?

Just got to play midfield three of McTominay-Gilmour-McGinn from now on. But that's the issue, mediocre CB options will mean McTom is needed in back 3 and always the temptation to push McGinn as close to CF as possible given he knows how to get on the end of stuff from half chances even if he couldn't quite find the finish in this tournament.

Excellent post. 👍

Just now, gkm_vancouver said:

We've got 10 EPL players and two Champions League winners. O'Donnell,  Armstrong and Dykes were well off it tonight. Not their fault just how they were used. We could definitely have performed better. 

Doesn’t matter how many EPL players we have when most of them are mid table games or relegation. 

Isn’t this the same shite England comes out with?

Abject performance from us and high quality from Croatia.

Yes we missed a fair amount of chances again tonight, McGinn the main culprit however our general style of play and lack of tactical adjustments early enough weren’t good enough.

Completely bypassing the midfield over and over and just hitting balls to dykes and Adams hoping for scraps. Tierney very guilty of this as was the goalkeeper. Yes we got the goal from winning second balls but we need to be better than that to improve. The England game we were very good at building play through the middle, Gilmour obviously helps with this.

We were also getting overrun in the middle of the park with our flat 3. Which allowed brozovic to drop deep between our midfield and strikers and slide passes through lines while modric floated around. We didn’t shuffle the midfield or drop one of the strikers to sit on brozovic. Part of the reason for the flat 3 I am sure was to protect O’Donnell out wide. He tries so hard and does fine but offensively he offered nothing and never looked likely to.

So disappointed with how this has ended for us as feels like we haven’t grasped our opportunity. Now we will be retreating back into the glorious failure / happy to be there mentality which I hate.

8 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

What exactly was our scoring rate like before those games.

28 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Bang on Tidy!