Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

I agree. Strikers have been our biggest problem. Nisbet, Shankland, and maybe even Griff going forward. I like Adam's, still unsure about Dykes.. Apparantly Hibs have a young lad with loads of potential, cany mind his name... Anyhoo, onwards and upwards...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Shanklanda level is the championship

Nisbet could be if he gets a move and given a chance 

Griffiths needs to get a grip of himself, his next contract could very well be his last if he doesn’t sort himself out, we all know what he can do. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Really? You wouldn't say the McGinn chance was good quality? Fantastic cross and instead of diving header or guiding it in with his left he tries to just bundle it in.

Was huge as Modric scored 5 minutes later.

In the first game had some good chances in first half and then Dykes missed a sitter in second when there was still 25 minutes left. The O'Donnell shot save at Wembley came from a decent move aswell.

I didn't think so, it's a ball in the box and he's had to fling himself at it to even try and connect, similar to the Adams chance in the first few minutes actually. Our inability to break lines and get in behind full backs means our chances are very rarely of a high quality.

Even the O'Donnell chance at Wembley, that's probably the best bit of football we played all tournament and it ends up in our fullback trying to volley it in, it's a difficult chance to score.

As for the dykes one, that's a great example, it comes off McGinns arm and goes through to Dykes, it's not created as a result of clever and incisive passing, it was just a bit of luck.

Our decision making in the final third is atrocious and that comes from really dreadful coaching. See Hendry ridiculous shot versus the Czechs and Dykes shot with his weaker foot from 25 yards against England that ended up in Adams having a Shot. On both occasions, the ball out wide gives us a better chance to score but we think trying speculative efforts are the best option, our in game intelligence is almost non existent in and around the box.

Nisbets goal against the Dutch was the best goal we've scored in years, everyone making right decisions along the way leading to a tap in and it comes in a meaningless game.

6 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Still think defence is an issue tbh.

Didn't fancy Cooper after first game and despite having him, McTom and Hanley all being well over 6ft simply didn't deal well with crosses in the tournament. Of the 5 goals conceded 3 were preventable from those situations and got a big let off with the Stones header aswell.

Tierney and McTominay being in there at least helps with composure but reality is it's just getting all the top tier players in the team in one go so will be exposed at times v top quality as tonight showed.

A lot of our problems tonight came from expecting the midfield three to cover too much ground - looking at Chelsea you can throw a blanket over their entire team but the gap front to back with us is fucking huge!  A team like Croatia can just rock up and ping balls about all over the place without much challenge unfortunately.  We've conceded goals not just because of headers but because folk have had about a week and a half to cross it too.    

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's you that needs to see sense, I didn't think they were out of their depth, they lost to a very good side who got to the wc final. You refuse to answer my question. What did you expect the score or performance to be at half time? 2 nil or 3 nil? If they were out of their depth they would of got thumped by England, Netherlands and Serbia. Just because we lose to a wc finalist doesn't mean we are out of depth at international football. We are a team that can get to the euros and not disgrace themselves and compete. The negative comments coming out are typical of this place when ppl who have clearly deluded themselves that Scotland will win easily, as soon as its 1-1 and a quality team like Croatia are dominating possession the daft comments like we're "out of our depth" come out. 

What's your expectations on our wc qualifying group, you must expect us to finish 4th as we are out of our depth. 

😂😂😂😂

11 minutes ago, breeks_mctavish said:

I take your point. England played much better v Croatia than we did, you are right. Though it should be noted they also played 3 in centre mid like we did (Rice, Phillips, Mount). We played McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn. Though I’m not convinced Armstrong and McGinn are disciplined enough to play together. 

What do you think was the solution?

Agreed. For that to work Armstrong and McGregor needed to play the roll of Mount and Phillips tonight. Either (i) that wasnt the plan, or (ii) they are not disciplined enought to play that way (presuming McGinn was to play the more advanced role). Whatever it was, it was wrong and needed to be changed. It wasn't.

England having the three up front helped too, and they pressed the ball as it came out, forcing the ball to be played quicker into the centre. The Czechs picked up on this too.

Our players also picked up that the midfield wasnt working. And the result was that we reverted to the long ball.

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Correct.

as much as it’s hard to accept that’s just as fact.

We qualified through the back door and it shows 

I'm started to regret stick up for our back door qualification,I got carried away with i and I admit that. We've been shown what proper tournament teams are and I am frightened at how far behind we are.

Just now, vanderark14 said:

I'm started to regret stick up for our back door qualification,I got carried away with i and I admit that. We've been shown what proper tournament teams are and I am frightened at how far behind we are.

It’s frustrating but it is what is it. 

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Correct.

as much as it’s hard to accept that’s just as fact.

We qualified through the back door and it shows 

We came behind russia, well behind 

Yes we've improved since group but nowhere near enough 

4 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

A lot of our problems tonight came from expecting the midfield three to cover too much ground - looking at Chelsea you can throw a blanket over their entire team but the gap front to back with us is fucking huge!  A team like Croatia can just rock up and ping balls about all over the place without much challenge unfortunately.  We've conceded goals not just because of headers but because folk have had about a week and a half to cross it too.    

Absolutely. Our central defenders wouldn’t come out and engage, leaving us woefully short in midfield. This is the problem with a three at the back. 

7 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Shanklanda level is the championship

Nisbet could be if he gets a move and given a chance 

Griffiths needs to get a grip of himself, his next contract could very well be his last if he doesn’t sort himself out, we all know what he can do. 

👍

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Some roaster fans saying Clark should go... muppets.

Can he get us any further or better? Did he make the right decisions during this tournament? No and no and no.

I'd  have liked him to stand down but he hasn't so we carry on backing him through next qualifiers and keep hoping better players will emerge.

11 minutes ago, Mox said:

I didn't think so, it's a ball in the box and he's had to fling himself at it to even try and connect, similar to the Adams chance in the first few minutes actually. Our inability to break lines and get in behind full backs means our chances are very rarely of a high quality.

Even the O'Donnell chance at Wembley, that's probably the best bit of football we played all tournament and it ends up in our fullback trying to volley it in, it's a difficult chance to score.

As for the dykes one, that's a great example, it comes off McGinns arm and goes through to Dykes, it's not created as a result of clever and incisive passing, it was just a bit of luck.

Our decision making in the final third is atrocious and that comes from really dreadful coaching. See Hendry ridiculous shot versus the Czechs and Dykes shot with his weaker foot from 25 yards against England that ended up in Adams having a Shot. On both occasions, the ball out wide gives us a better chance to score but we think trying speculative efforts are the best option, our in game intelligence is almost non existent in and around the box.

Nisbets goal against the Dutch was the best goal we've scored in years, everyone making right decisions along the way leading to a tap in and it comes in a meaningless game.

I don't know, there's been decent passages of play in final third imo this tournament. First game, nice throughball for Robbo to run into, he hits terrific cross, Dykes makes excellent run ahead of the defender but he can't quite get his foot across the ball enough to guide it in.

Then Christie goes central and hits in perfect pass to Robertson charging in, exactly same as what Modric had (indeed easier as Robertson only had the keeper to beat).

It hasn't all been hit and hope up to Dykes/Adams, there's been decent interchanges in final third in all three games.

To me it's just not enough belief from these players once in the final third. McGinn actually had a good chance in first half from another decent move but for some reason instead of shooting guides a header just across the box and Adams has to peform gymnastics just to keep the ball in.

The goal was pretty well worked if that's any consolation, probably Dyke's best hold up play in the tournament.

I'm more concerned by the backline, gives away too many cheap goals at crucial spells in games and while you can get away with that in qualifiers on occasions can't do it in major tournaments as you're not getting through.

Edited by Tartan Chris

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Even so, we didn't do too badly for a 'back door qualification' team. We weren't obviously the whipping boys of the tournament; just one of the fourth seeds, who played to form. North Macedonia scored more, but were eliminated sooner.

Edited by exile

5 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I’m a shite bag for disagreeing with you 😂 outstanding pish. 

Nope, you're a shite bag because you told me to grow up and called me a fuckin child. 

We can disagree all day long if you want but if you start insulting me I'll do it back.by some self awareness 

4 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Can he get us any further or better? Did he make the right decisions during this tournament? No and no and no.

I'd  have liked him to stand down but he hasn't so we carry on backing him through next qualifiers and keep hoping better players will emerge.

SFA will be happy keeping him in for world cu qualfiers, why would you want them to conduct another managerial search? They'd probably come up with McLeish again!

I think he stays in if team gets to world cup play offs. Only in danger not qualfying for not euros which is only 3 years away so really in that cycle already.

Perhaps by then someone like Calum Davidson can be serious contender as he's on good path winning trophies.

It's disappointing but the players seem happy playing for Clarke given it seems the most solid and content camp for a long long time and the system is o.k if exposed by top level teams so will be thereabouts in the qualifiers imo.

It's a long way from the depths of Levein a decade ago.

3 minutes ago, exile said:

Even so, we didn't do too badly for a 'back door qualification' team. We weren't obviously the whipping boys of the tournament; just one of the fourth seeds, who played to form. North Macedonia scored more, but were eliminated sooner.

Turkey were easily the worst team at this tournament so avoided the wooden spoon at least.

Russia were really bad aswell even if they did win a game.

Those two must've qualified for about 6-7 tournaments between them since 1998.