Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 18 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Point is that is why we are out. Not being able to score because of lack of a quality striker. Fuck all to do with being shite or Clarke getting tactics wrong or not creating chances. Clarke can only work with the players at his disposal and if you don't have a quality striker you are going to struggle at the very highest level of international football which major tournaments are.

Was it only Dykes and Adams having those attempts at goal?

If it was, I’ll hold my hands up and say strikers are the only problem, but we both know it’s not. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mox said:

This 'creating chances' thing is a complete red herring as well, we hardly created any good quality chances over three games, odd one here and there but our inability to create proper chances is there for everyone to see.

Really? You wouldn't say the McGinn chance was good quality? Fantastic cross and instead of diving header or guiding it in with his left he tries to just bundle it in.

Was huge as Modric scored 5 minutes later.

In the first game had some good chances in first half and then Dykes missed a sitter in second when there was still 25 minutes left. The O'Donnell shot save at Wembley came from a decent move aswell.

2 minutes ago, kumnio said:

The tactics were utter shite. If you’re happy with what we did over the three games, then good for you, but I’m certainly not. 

I mentioned Clarke’s miserable style after Austria and Israel, and these games just continue. He is more interested in trying to bore the opposition than trying to win games. 

The problem with his strategy for me is it relies on clean sheets and nicking one but our we always look likely to concede.  The point vs Austria was robbery really and being shit against Israel for the 327th time in a row was soul destroying.  

10 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On a player level we are very similar. They aren't some world beater.

They took their chances, we didn't. 

The Czech Republic are in no way a good side, who are a level above us. Most of our players even play at a better level/teams than them. 

They entirely had the ball 

We didn't 

The two teams were light years apart in terms of ability 

Just now, Big Ramy 1314 said:

If we had a potent striker, who could bury the chances that came our way, it would change everything, but we dont. 

Agreed, but if we keep the strikers that we’ve taken with us on the bench, then we’ll never know. 

Dykes won’t be the man that’ll score us goals, Adams maybe will, but he would need to be the focal point, not just hope that something drops off to him from some lumped ball that Dykes wins and knocks down. 

He certainly looks like he can play with the ball at his feet and run at defenders. 

5 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Don't talk rot. Who would be good enough to replace him?

My point was, he might have done the honourable thing and stood down. He didn't so he does carry on to the autumn qualifiers.

And I'll back him all the way with them. But he got a lot wrong in these games.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm sure your tactics would've got us through

Grow up 😂😂

Im sure you didn’t agree with people who claimed everything was good under previous managers, different opinions are allowed. 

Clarke might appeal to you, I’m sure some opposition managers love him as well 👍

1 minute ago, ThistleWhistle said:

The problem with his strategy for me is it relies on clean sheets and nicking one but our we always look likely to concede.  The point vs Austria was robbery really and being shit against Israel for the 327th time in a row was soul destroying.  

Yet it was absolutely predictable. For the 327th time in a row. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

Was it only Dykes and Adams having those attempts at goal?

If it was, I’ll hold my hands up and say strikers are the only problem, but we both know it’s not. 

Strikers are THE major reason we cannot compete in those matches. For that look how many goals over the last year have been scored by midfielders or defenders. Our top scorer is a midfielder. A midfielder scored for us tonight.

You seem to be totally ignoring the pure quality of the opponents tonight. World Cup runners-up at a tournament we never even qualified for.

Still think defence is an issue tbh.

Didn't fancy Cooper after first game and despite having him, McTom and Hanley all being well over 6ft simply didn't deal well with crosses in the tournament. Of the 5 goals conceded 3 were preventable from those situations and got a big let off with the Stones header aswell.

Tierney and McTominay being in there at least helps with composure but reality is it's just getting all the top tier players in the team in one go so will be exposed at times v top quality as tonight showed.

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

We conceded 5 goals in 2 games at home whilst in both games playing a back  5

2 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

My point was, he might have done the honourable thing and stood down. He didn't so he does carry on to the autumn qualifiers.

And I'll back him all the way with them. But he got a lot wrong in these games.

He did. He now knows that two up front doesn't work. We need Mctom in midfield and Gilmour. Armstrong is not a defensive midfielder.

Just now, kumnio said:

Grow up 😂😂

Im sure you didn’t agree with people who claimed everything was good under previous managers, different opinions are allowed. 

Clarke might appeal to you, I’m sure some opposition managers love him as well 👍

Grow up? Fuck off

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Agreed, but if we keep the strikers that we’ve taken with us on the bench, then we’ll never know. 

Dykes won’t be the man that’ll score us goals, Adams maybe will, but he would need to be the focal point, not just hope that something drops off to him from some lumped ball that Dykes wins and knocks down. 

He certainly looks like he can play with the ball at his feet and run at defenders. 

I agree. Strikers have been our biggest problem. Nisbet, Shankland, and maybe even Griff going forward. I like Adam's, still unsure about Dykes.. Apparantly Hibs have a young lad with loads of potential, cany mind his name... Anyhoo, onwards and upwards...🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

He did. He now knows that two up front doesn't work. We need Mctom in midfield and Gilmour. Armstrong is not a defensive midfielder.

Ryan jack back in for me alongside gilmour and mctominay with Mcginn in front.

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You’re starting to see sense now, we created chances, but didn’t take them, in any of the 3 games, why is that?

Because we’re out of our depth. 

Do you think they played reasonably well tonight and competed throughout the game?

It's you that needs to see sense, I didn't think they were out of their depth, they lost to a very good side who got to the wc final. You refuse to answer my question. What did you expect the score or performance to be at half time? 2 nil or 3 nil? If they were out of their depth they would of got thumped by England, Netherlands and Serbia. Just because we lose to a wc finalist doesn't mean we are out of depth at international football. We are a team that can get to the euros and not disgrace themselves and compete. The negative comments coming out are typical of this place when ppl who have clearly deluded themselves that Scotland will win easily, as soon as its 1-1 and a quality team like Croatia are dominating possession the daft comments like we're "out of our depth" come out. 

What's your expectations on our wc qualifying group, you must expect us to finish 4th as we are out of our depth. 

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

We conceded 5 goals in 2 games at home whilst in both games playing a back  5

I know and I don't particularly think the strikers are the biggest concern - Lewondowski would struggle to cover for our leaky defence.  Got to come up with a new plan because Plan A which was on show both home games has been absolutely worked out.  

33 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I said before the tournament dykes was only minor upgrade on mcburnie and it’s been proved this isn’t his level.

But until we find better forwards we are stuck with them .

I felt we were out after the loss against the Czechs and I was at work so didn't watch it and can't really comment. I'm glad we qualified for the first time for so long, at least were over that hurdle. We played superbly against England and should have won. There are positives, Gilmour, Patterson, Adams. We seem to have found a way of accommodating Robertson and Tierney, Hanley looks like he could be nailed on for one of the central defender spots. I've been waiting to get into round 2 since 1974 and will have to wait a bit longer but there's some optimism as well as key decisions to make. Do we play two up front? Do we play McTominay as a central defender when that's not his best position? 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's you that needs to see sense, I didn't think they were out of their depth, they lost to a very good side who got to the wc final. You refuse to answer my question. What did you expect the score or performance to be at half time? 2 nil or 3 nil? If they were out of their depth they would of got thumped by England, Netherlands and Serbia. Just because we lose to a wc finalist doesn't mean we are out of depth at international football. We are a team that can get to the euros and not disgrace themselves and compete. The negative comments coming out are typical of this place when ppl who have clearly deluded themselves that Scotland will win easily, as soon as its 1-1 and a quality team like Croatia are dominating possession the daft comments like we're "out of our depth" come out. 

What's your expectations on our wc qualifying group, you must expect us to finish 4th as we are out of our depth. 

Nail on the head.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Strikers are THE major reason we cannot compete in those matches. For that look how many goals over the last year have been scored by midfielders or defenders. Our top scorer is a midfielder. A midfielder scored for us tonight.

You seem to be totally ignoring the pure quality of the opponents tonight. World Cup runners-up at a tournament we never even qualified for.

How many times have I said that they were better at everything than us tonight?

Were out of our depth and you’re really stupid. 

Night

45 minutes ago, Mox said:

And that's down to the manager playing guys that are nowhere near good enough in O'Donnell and Dykes and playing a formation that doesn't work. He's too blame here, no one else, it's been an embarrassing three games.

No the players aren’t good enough as well. 

Look who our players for compared to Croatia