Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 17 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

Clarke about to quit? Being interviewed now on radio...

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Its not really hindsight when England did the same thing against them 2 games ago.

Its pretty naive.

I take your point. England played much better v Croatia than we did, you are right. Though it should be noted they also played 3 in centre mid like we did (Rice, Phillips, Mount). We played McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn. Though I’m not convinced Armstrong and McGinn are disciplined enough to play together. 

What do you think was the solution?

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Nah we are a team that is pretty much near our peak level. It depends on what being out of our depth means. To me the team are hardly out of their depth. They are a team that won't get to the latter stages of a tournament but they can play reasonably well against top sides and not disgrace themselves. Being 1-1 with wc finalists at half time is not a bad situation. We had also created plenty of chances at that point. We have competed well against England, Serbia, Netherlands, in the last 10 matches. If we were a team out of our depth we would of lost those three matches heavily. 

You’re starting to see sense now, we created chances, but didn’t take them, in any of the 3 games, why is that?

Because we’re out of our depth. 

Do you think they played reasonably well tonight and competed throughout the game?

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Is there an open top parade for having lots of shots on goal?

Maybe we had what, 20-25 attempts at goal, with 1 goal?

Other teams progressed by scoring goals, not just by trying to score them, that’s the major difference between us and them. 

Again not rocket science that we lack real quality up front it is what separates us from the likes of Wales. There is no Bale-esque Scotsmen out there just now and its frustrating. Quality strikers cannot be magicked up out of front air and we haven't got one just now.

3 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Most mid range international teams do it in fairness. I mean Wales have Moore upfront who's about 6ft 5 and plays at same level as Dykes.

Austria as we saw in the 2-2 at Hampden had that big guy upfront who scored a fantastic header.

Seems since his excellent performance in Serbia Clarke has it in his head that Dykes is simply undroppable but to me he should go to plan B for world cup qualifiers and Adams goes to CF with mobile players either side of him.

Denmark have two 6ft 4 + CBs so they won't exactly be having sleepless nights thinking how they're doing to be dealing with Lyndon Dykes.

That's a fair point, but Wales and Austria don't miss out the midfield like we do. They also press, Austria were great at that against the Ukraine, totally on the front foot, we sit in our own half, watching players pass it about in front of us and then launching it upto a guy who is frankly not a very good footballer.

4 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It is. A better manager would have given us a chance. Clarke has been lucky with penalty results, apart from that he has been poor. 

Cautious, negative, miserable football, it’s all he can do. The sooner he goes, the better.

Utter shite. The first 15 minutes tonight wasn't negative, our players went for it but then bang Croatia scored because we failed not take our chances.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Again not rocket science that we lack real quality up front it is what separates us from the likes of Wales. There is no Bale-esque Scotsmen out there just now and its frustrating. Quality strikers cannot be magicked up out of front air and we haven't got one just now.

What’s your point? Creating chances dont win you games, taking them does. We’re not good enough to do that. 

7 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Correct. Creating chances hasn't been an issue for us, but taking them has. We might get away with that against also-rans in the qualifiers but it won't cut the mustard at tournament level. We badly need to find a goalscorer from somewhere.

Maybe we have a goalscorer but he spent 83 minutes on the bench?

No problem if Dykes and Adams are the first choice, at the ouotsrt, but when it's not producing goals, why not try something different, while there is still a chance?

Edited by exile

7 minutes ago, kumnio said:

It is. A better manager would have given us a chance. Clarke has been lucky with penalty results, apart from that he has been poor. 

Cautious, negative, miserable football, it’s all he can do. The sooner he goes, the better.

Yes the brutal games with Israel stick out for me 

16 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Who would you have started? Dykes was an mprovement on what he had,Clarke didn't have much choice. 

I would of started Adams and fraser up top. I would of started the same v England as well. I like dykes but I think he's a player we should just be bringing off the bench and using as a target man or as a plan b. 

That result hurts.... 

Truth is Modric and Perisic were class tonight.  Rather than blame specific players or tactics the answer is the same as ever (... how do we create players of that class). Hopefully with Gilmour the future is bright and we are on right path.

Thank you Scotland! 

Edited by Haggis_trap

4 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

On a player level we are very similar. They aren't some world beater.

They took their chances, we didn't. 

The Czech Republic are in no way a good side, who are a level above us. Most of our players even play at a better level/teams than them. 

They are a level above us erm because they take their chances.

That's exactly why they are better than us

8 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Totally agree with cautious

Just now, Mox said:

That's a fair point, but Wales and Austria don't miss out the midfield like we do. They also press, Austria were great at that against the Ukraine, totally on the front foot, we sit in our own half, watching players pass it about in front of us and then launching it upto a guy who is frankly not a very good footballer.

I thought the pressing and composure in midfield was fine v England so they can do it against allegedly top tier teams.

Croatia have got proper world class midfielders so they were always going to win the possesion duel but you can beat them in other ways, I mean they weren't convincing at all dealing with crosses tonight were they?

Just got to play midfield three of McTominay-Gilmour-McGinn from now on. But that's the issue, mediocre CB options will mean McTom is needed in back 3 and always the temptation to push McGinn as close to CF as possible given he knows how to get on the end of stuff from half chances even if he couldn't quite find the finish in this tournament.

This 'creating chances' thing is a complete red herring as well, we hardly created any good quality chances over three games, odd one here and there but our inability to create proper chances is there for everyone to see.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Utter shite. The first 15 minutes tonight wasn't negative, our players went for it but then bang Croatia scored because we failed not take our chances.

The tactics were utter shite. If you’re happy with what we did over the three games, then good for you, but I’m certainly not. 

I mentioned Clarke’s miserable style after Austria and Israel, and these games just continue. He is more interested in trying to bore the opposition than trying to win games. 

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not sure what is more depressing - the result or listening to whingeing posters on here.

FFS - it ain't rocket science. Croatia are a far better side than us and weren't World Cup runners-up for playing fucking conkers. Top quality side and bags of experience in these major tournaments whereas ours are complete novices. 

I'd hazard a damned good bet we've had more shots on goal in this tournament than many teams that have got through to the next round but yet you've got people on here going spare.

Beaten by the better side but were still in with a fighting chance after an hour. In a group where we were the lowest ranked team that has never happened in any of our other major tournament appearances.

Take it on the chin and move on rather than slate our players who gave their lot tonight.

Totally agree Craig.

It’s tough to take, but the players gave their all. Hopefully learn a few lessons and benefit from all those extra weeks of playing and training together. Some new better younger players coming through.

The dramatic reactions are probably normal, but I agree with you that they’re over the top.

Just now, DAVIDB46 said:

Yes the brutal games with Israel stick out for me 

And me - they'd obviously worked out how to counter our strengths and look to exploit our weaknesses.  Unfortunately we didn't seem to learn from this and the Czech's and Croatia basically did what Israel did to us but with about 4-5 steps up in quality to hurt us with.  

Just now, dandydunn said:

What’s your point? Creating chances dont win you games, taking them does. We’re not good enough to do that. 

Point is that is why we are out. Not being able to score because of lack of a quality striker. Fuck all to do with being shite or Clarke getting tactics wrong or not creating chances. Clarke can only work with the players at his disposal and if you don't have a quality striker you are going to struggle at the very highest level of international football which major tournaments are.

Just now, kumnio said:

The tactics were utter shite. If you’re happy with what we did over the three games, then good for you, but I’m certainly not. 

I mentioned Clarke’s miserable style after Austria and Israel, and these games just continue. He is more interested in trying to bore the opposition than trying to win games. 

I'm sure your tactics would've got us through

6 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

You’re starting to see sense now, we created chances, but didn’t take them, in any of the 3 games, why is that?

Because we’re out of our depth. 

Do you think they played reasonably well tonight and competed throughout the game?

If we had a potent striker, who could bury the chances that came our way, it would change everything, but we dont.