Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

4 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

We don't realy have a plan B. I think thats been clear for a while.

So frustrating, as any punter with a keyboard could see the need for a Plan B and a Plan C. It's so obvious. It's the most obvious question of what to do if Croatia inevitably score a second goal in the second half?

We are not ruthless enough. Plan A had to go out the window, the old plan had failed, time for a different line of attack.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, breeks_mctavish said:

I feel like we might have done better with an extra midfielder rather than 2 up front tonight but hindsight is great.

Its not really hindsight when England did the same thing against them 2 games ago.

Its pretty naive.

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

We played football against England 

But tonight we just went back to Czech game tactics 

They had 70% possession 

Yeah against England we built in phases and protected the ball whilst stopping them dictate play - today we just stood and watched a technically superior team be technically superior despite being at home and them being low on confidence.  

I think Clarke probably found the England game easier in a way setting up not to lose but the two games he's set up looking for a win we've been ruthlessly exposed.  

There was no way our midfield three were going to beat them in a game of football and it shows in the possession stats which are a bit embarrassing really.  

2 minutes ago, Mox said:

That is wild nonsense. You don't think there's another manager on the planet who wouldn't be scared to attack? Who wouldn't have played Adams, McGregor, Gilmour and Patterson in the first game? Give me a break.

We did attack, we didn't take our chances because we were out of our depth. 

As you are known for being a drama queen I will leave it here, its an emotional time for the whole board 

9 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

Looking at winning in Austria to have any chance of that , we will be taken apart by Denmark though .

Key to me is beating Israel as I think they'll take points off Austria.

Denmark well infront although the unfortunate stuff with Eriksen brings them down a little. Can't see anything in Copenhagen with the crowd they have there so that's one to write off.

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Been happy with Adams performance in this tournament. I know he didn't score and fluffed the big one v England but he's reasonably mobile, knows how to drop off the forward line and link with midfield and while he won't win many headers compared to Dykes he can hold it up and link with wide players in different ways, he's a starting striker for mid table pre team after all.

I think he'll score a few in the world cup group so will hopefully go into the next tournament with more confidence as main man whenever that is.

Signing the anthem already is pretty good also so think he's shown he's in this for the long haul which was my main doubts at him getting parachuted in for the euros.

If we don’t punt the ball from front to back, he won’t need to win headers, so that’s one issue resolved 😂

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

For me it's just not being proactive enough.

Not starting Adams in first game v Czechs. Safety first with Dykes because it worked well in Serbia but some of his limitations have been shown in the games since.

Not starting Gilmour either and shock horror he's good v England when thrown in at deep end.

Tonight. 1-1 but largely being outplayed. 55 minutes, Armstrong and Dykes off and I'd have had Fraser and Christie either side of Adams so pretty mobile front 3 which would've given Croatia some issues on the break.

That's the issue. Not doing anything until it got to 1-2 and even more bizzarely 3-1 so there's the doubt. If Clarke had done the subs then fair enough if Croatia still win 3-1 but him sitting on his hands for 25 minutes of the second half was so so frustrating and seems to be an ingrained mentality with Scottish managers.

1 minute ago, Mox said:

Perfectly put.

Aye exactly, easy to criticise when it's hurting but Clarke just seemed to be playing this tournament as if it was the middle of an EPL/SPL league programme, not realising we are in a 3 game knockout that needs quick brave decisions. Afraid I don't think Clarke has got what it takes to get us to another tournament

Not sure what is more depressing - the result or listening to whingeing posters on here.

FFS - it ain't rocket science. Croatia are a far better side than us and weren't World Cup runners-up for playing fucking conkers. Top quality side and bags of experience in these major tournaments whereas ours are complete novices. 

I'd hazard a damned good bet we've had more shots on goal in this tournament than many teams that have got through to the next round but yet you've got people on here going spare.

Beaten by the better side but were still in with a fighting chance after an hour. In a group where we were the lowest ranked team that has never happened in any of our other major tournament appearances.

Take it on the chin and move on rather than slate our players who gave their lot tonight.

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

As you are known for being a drama queen I will leave it here, its an emotional time for the whole board 

You're watching a different sport from me, stuck in another era. 

2 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Nonsense.

Czech Republic are in the last 16 and they are a very similar level 

Explain to me how we are at their level? 

They've beaten us 2 nil at home, they're in the next round. We go home with one goal 

Just now, vanderark14 said:

It's not, we've just been taught a massive lesson in almost every department

It is. A better manager would have given us a chance. Clarke has been lucky with penalty results, apart from that he has been poor. 

Cautious, negative, miserable football, it’s all he can do. The sooner he goes, the better.

8 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

We weren’t good enough to get to the tournament, we snuck in through the back door by winning on penalties twice, scoring 1 goal in those 240 minutes. 

I was expecting us to finish bottom, but hoped for more, not quite sure what you’re trying to get at exactly?

Sontou think performances like that are the stuff that will get us to a higher level?

Nah we are a team that is pretty much near our peak level. It depends on what being out of our depth means. To me the team are hardly out of their depth. They are a team that won't get to the latter stages of a tournament but they can play reasonably well against top sides and not disgrace themselves. Being 1-1 with wc finalists at half time is not a bad situation. We had also created plenty of chances at that point. We have competed well against England, Serbia, Netherlands, in the last 10 matches. If we were a team out of our depth we would of lost those three matches heavily. 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

If we don’t punt the ball from front to back, he won’t need to win headers, so that’s one issue resolved 😂

Most mid range international teams do it in fairness. I mean Wales have Moore upfront who's about 6ft 5 and plays at same level as Dykes.

Austria as we saw in the 2-2 at Hampden had that big guy upfront who scored a fantastic header.

Seems since his excellent performance in Serbia Clarke has it in his head that Dykes is simply undroppable but to me he should go to plan B for world cup qualifiers and Adams goes to CF with mobile players either side of him.

Denmark have two 6ft 4 + CBs so they won't exactly be having sleepless nights thinking how they're doing to be dealing with Lyndon Dykes.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not sure what is more depressing - the result or listening to whingeing posters on here.

FFS - it ain't rocket science. Croatia are a far better side than us and weren't World Cup runners-up for playing fucking conkers. Top quality side and bags of experience in these major tournaments whereas ours are complete novices. 

I'd hazard a damned good bet we've had more shots on goal in this tournament than many teams that have got through to the next round but yet you've got people on here going spare.

Beaten by the better side but were still in with a fighting chance after an hour. In a group where we were the lowest ranked team that has never happened in any of our other major tournament appearances.

Take it on the chin and move on rather than slate our players who gave their lot tonight.

Is there an open top parade for having lots of shots on goal?

Maybe we had what, 20-25 attempts at goal, with 1 goal?

Other teams progressed by scoring goals, not just by trying to score them, that’s the major difference between us and them. 

Edited by dandydunn

5 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Its not really hindsight when England did the same thing against them 2 games ago.

Its pretty naive.

Agree with that - the other thing was it was pretty apparent we were lucky to get in 1-1 and Modric was running the show.  Change should have been happening at half time to combat it because in % terms it seemed far more likely they were going to score than us if we both came our playing like the first half.  

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Correct. Creating chances hasn't been an issue for us, but taking them has. We might get away with that against also-rans in the qualifiers but it won't cut the mustard at tournament level. We badly need to find a goalscorer from somewhere.

5 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Its pretty naive.

To be fair, when England played them it wasn't a must-win game.

8 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Yeah against England we built in phases and protected the ball whilst stopping them dictate play - today we just stood and watched a technically superior team be technically superior despite being at home and them being low on confidence.  

I think Clarke probably found the England game easier in a way setting up not to lose but the two games he's set up looking for a win we've been ruthlessly exposed.  

There was no way our midfield three were going to beat them in a game of football and it shows in the possession stats which are a bit embarrassing really.  

In the cold light of day

We've got humped 5-1 over two home games and played long ball in both 

1 minute ago, scotlad said:

Correct. Creating chances hasn't been an issue for us, but taking them has. We might get away with that against also-rans in the qualifiers but it won't cut the mustard at tournament level. We badly need to find a goalscorer from somewhere.

To be fair, when England played them it wasn't a must-win game.

Great Post 

15 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Who would you have started? Dykes was an mprovement on what he had,Clarke didn't have much choice. 

Nisbet.

That was a choice...

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

Explain to me how we are at their level? 

They've beaten us 2 nil at home, they're in the next round. We go home with one goal 

On a player level we are very similar. They aren't some world beater.

They took their chances, we didn't. 

The Czech Republic are in no way a good side, who are a level above us. Most of our players even play at a better level/teams than them.