Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

11 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

And we can't even hope for a Nations League back door again cos "unfortunately" we've now gone up a level in it so not a hope of winning League B...much more likely to finish last and go back down to C.

Top 2 in euros groups get through....hoping for 2nd in world cup group so that should mean a good shot at automatic qualification for first time since 1998.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You’re not entirely wrong but we can’t keep blaming managers when half our team is clearly not good enough 

And that's down to the manager playing guys that are nowhere near good enough in O'Donnell and Dykes and playing a formation that doesn't work. He's too blame here, no one else, it's been an embarrassing three games.

What I don't understand is how our main strikers lasted so long, OK, you might say they tried hard and had some good touches and they didn't do too badly - except they never scored.

International football is ruthless. We are losing 2-1 we know the next goal will be decisive.

Nisbet brought on at 84 minutes!! Far too late!!!

If I have one regret is that we never gave any serious alternative to a way of attacking the goal, over 90x3 minutes. 6 minutes here or there is not enough. We needed a plan B to kick in as soon as the Croats scored the second goal.

20 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

How the hell did England manage to beat Croatia? This is like a different team.

They sat someone close to Moderic for about 70 minutes. Didnt allow them to play, or switch the ball quickly.

As I said before, we play one way and cant really change it. Plus we have a manager with poor game management.

Any chance we had we needed the majority of us to be playing an 8. Armstrong (playing in the wriong position, I know) was possibly a 3?

Just now, exile said:

What I don't understand is how our main strikers lasted so long, OK, you might say they tried hard and had some good touches and they didn't do too badly - except they never scored.

International football is ruthless. We are losing 2-1 we know the next goal will be decisive.

Nisbet brought on at 84 minutes!! Far too late!!!

If I have one regret is that we never gave any serious alternative to a way of attacking the goal, over 90x3 minutes. 6 minutes here or there is not enough. We needed a plan B to kick in as soon as the Croats scored the second goal.

We don't realy have a plan B. I think thats been clear for a while.

3 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I’ve already said what I was hoping for, but expecting to be down. 

If you’re just too fucking thick to see what else I’m saying, maybe you should reread it instead of posting the same utter nonsense time and time again. 

So what was that, I can't see your posts where you said what you expected, I would of bitten the hand of a 1-1 with us having created a few chances. 

Again what would be satisfactory for you. 2 or 3 nil to us at half time? 

Just now, DAVIDB46 said:

I said before the tournament dykes was only minor upgrade on mcburnie and it’s been proved this isn’t his level.

But until we find better forwards we are stuck with them .

Drop him completely amd play Adams up top. He looks like he has a lot more awareness of how football should be played. 

1 minute ago, Mox said:

And that's down to the manager playing guys that are nowhere near good enough in O'Donnell and Dykes and playing a formation that doesn't work. He's too blame here, no one else, it's been an embarrassing three games.

There isn't a manager on this planet who would've got us to the last 16. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Top 2 in euros groups get through....hoping for 2nd in world cup group so that should mean a good shot at automatic qualification for first time since 1998.

Looking at winning in Austria to have any chance of that , we will be taken apart by Denmark though .

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

We are the only long ball team in the tournament 

For a reason 

We must stop playing this way 

I'd be on board with it if we were good at it because it can be hugely effective but our strikers are often too isolated to knock it to runners from deep so just end up surrendering possession whilst we're out of shape. 

The chasm between the front and back is our fundamental issue - Kante would be blowing out his arse playing for us.    

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

You’re not entirely wrong but we can’t keep blaming managers when half our team is clearly not good enough 

For me it's just not being proactive enough.

Not starting Adams in first game v Czechs. Safety first with Dykes because it worked well in Serbia but some of his limitations have been shown in the games since.

Not starting Gilmour either and shock horror he's good v England when thrown in at deep end.

Tonight. 1-1 but largely being outplayed. 55 minutes, Armstrong and Dykes off and I'd have had Fraser and Christie either side of Adams so pretty mobile front 3 which would've given Croatia some issues on the break.

That's the issue. Not doing anything until it got to 1-2 and even more bizzarely 3-1 so there's the doubt. If Clarke had done the subs then fair enough if Croatia still win 3-1 but him sitting on his hands for 25 minutes of the second half was so so frustrating and seems to be an ingrained mentality with Scottish managers.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

So what was that, I can't see your posts where you said what you expected, I would of bitten the hand of a 1-1 with us having created a few chances. 

Again what would be satisfactory for you. 2 or 3 nil to us at half time? 

See that part that you quoted, where I said I expected is to be down, if you look deep enough into that line in particular, then I’m sure you’ll be able to work it out fairly easily. 

2 minutes ago, DAVIDB46 said:

I said before the tournament dykes was only minor upgrade on mcburnie and it’s been proved this isn’t his level.

But until we find better forwards we are stuck with them .

I think he's an improvement on mcburnie but he was quite poor in the tournament, and why Clarke started him all three games is mental. 

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

That is wild nonsense. You don't think there's another manager on the planet who wouldn't be scared to attack? Who wouldn't have played Adams, McGregor, Gilmour and Patterson in the first game? Give me a break.

2 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

I'd be on board with it if we were good at it because it can be hugely effective but our strikers are often too isolated to knock it to runners from deep so just end up surrendering possession whilst we're out of shape. 

The chasm between the front and back is our fundamental issue - Kante would be blowing out his arse playing for us.    

We played football against England 

But tonight we just went back to Czech game tactics 

They had 70% possession 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I think he's an improvement on mcburnie but he was quite poor in the tournament, and why Clarke started him all three games is mental. 

Who would you have started? Dykes was an mprovement on what he had,Clarke didn't have much choice. 

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

For me it's just not being proactive enough.

Not starting Adams in first game v Czechs. Safety first with Dykes because it worked well in Serbia but some of his limitations have been shown in the games since.

Not starting Gilmour either and shock horror he's good v England when thrown in at deep end.

Tonight. 1-1 but largely being outplayed. 55 minutes, Armstrong and Dykes off and I'd have had Fraser and Christie either side of Adams so pretty mobile front 3 which would've given Croatia some issues on the break.

That's the issue. Not doing anything until it got to 1-2 and even more bizzarely 3-1 so there's the doubt. If Clarke had done the subs then fair enough if Croatia still win 3-1 but him sitting on his hands for 25 minutes of the second half was so so frustrating and seems to be an ingrained mentality with Scottish managers.

Perfectly put.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Totally agree. We have some good players but also some serious limitations in the team. I feel like we might have done better with an extra midfielder rather than 2 up front tonight but hindsight is great. Hoping that the signs are the class of player coming through is better than the old guard, but that’s going to be a long game.

5 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Drop him completely amd play Adams up top. He looks like he has a lot more awareness of how football should be played. 

Been happy with Adams performance in this tournament. I know he didn't score and fluffed the big one v England but he's reasonably mobile, knows how to drop off the forward line and link with midfield and while he won't win many headers compared to Dykes he can hold it up and link with wide players in different ways, he's a starting striker for mid table pre team after all.

I think he'll score a few in the world cup group so will hopefully go into the next tournament with more confidence as main man whenever that is.

Signing the anthem already is pretty good also so think he's shown he's in this for the long haul which was my main doubts at him getting parachuted in for the euros.