Scotland V Croatia Match Thread - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland V Croatia Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

We’ve been well beaten by a better team. 

Basically it but the only thing I'd say is we've let them be the better team - we just stood there and let them pass it and move into space.  I could see they were running our midfield ragged again with the three expected to cover an ever widening expanse of ground so why we didn't do anything to combat it especially as it followed the same format of the Czech game is beyond me.    

Instead of lumping it to Dykes running on fumes we'd have been better taking another midfielder on in hope of getting hold of the ball a bit.  

We've come a long way though in the last two years where we've given two world cup semi-finalists a fair game so green shoots that can be nurtured for me.  

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

We’ve been well beaten by a better team. 

We've been well beaten by a much better coached team, Croatia are going nowhere in this tournament, they'll be out by the next round.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

They are wc finalists, they were always going to dominate possession and create chances. Why were you expecting anything else. Its as if you have just realised Croatia are one of the best sides in the WORLD.  Do you follow football. Were you expecting us to dominate possesion and be 2-0 up at half time. They dominated the first half, we did quite well to create some chances and managed to score 1 but we were on the backfoot. That doesn't mean we are out of our depth at international level. It just means we are playing a top side. It's typical of this place. 

What half time result were you expecting? 

I was hoping for a positive result, but knew we were out of our depth. 

Tou keep saying it yourself, WC finalists against a team that has scored 2 goals in the last 5 games of this tournament, we’re out of our depth, which part of that is difficult to understand?

Theyre faster than us, fitter than us, technically better than us, smarter than us. 

6 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

All I'd say to that is there's still been plenty of decent chances created, some nice switches of play that have lead to Dykes, Robbo, McGinn and a few others all having key chances at crucial points in the 3 games.

Simply not enough composure. I knew Modric would be hitting top corner when he was running onto that pass and that's the difference I'm afraid.

This team is capable of playing decent football in final third but too often the shot is scuffed or gives keeper too much of a chance to get a hand, McGregor strike is how you do it.

Other thing is considering the height in the back the defending from crosses has been very disapppointing, 1st goal v Czechs and two of the goals tonight. Also don't forget the Stones free header from the corner on Friday he should've scored so need to look at the zonal marking again as will cost goals in the qualifiers (given the trouble the big Austrian striker caused at Hampden).

Don't speak sense to the guy, he was expecting us to be up 2-0, because we were only 1-1, and hadn't had the majority of possession suddenly we are out of our depth at this level. 

8 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

All I'd say to that is there's still been plenty of decent chances created, some nice switches of play that have lead to Dykes, Robbo, McGinn and a few others all having key chances at crucial points in the 3 games.

Simply not enough composure. I knew Modric would be hitting top corner when he was running onto that pass and that's the difference I'm afraid.

This team is capable of playing decent football in final third but too often the shot is scuffed or gives keeper too much of a chance to get a hand, McGregor strike is how you do it.

Other thing is considering the height in the back the defending from crosses has been very disapppointing, 1st goal v Czechs and two of the goals tonight. Also don't forget the Stones free header from the corner on Friday he should've scored so need to look at the zonal marking again as will cost goals in the qualifiers (given the trouble the big Austrian striker caused at Hampden).

Correct and we haven’t had the ability (or luck) at times to capitalise on them, we don’t belong at this lever (yet). 

Don't speak sense to the guy, he was expecting us to be up 2-0, because we were only 1-1, and hadn't had the majority of possession suddenly we are out of our depth at this level. 

😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, chaff said:

Our second half performance and tactics have been horrendous.

Armstrong and dykes should have been off at half time.

They ruthlessly exposed Armstrong tonight - there was folk running off him all over the shop,  Fairly obvious we needed to put another body in midfield as it was a long shot we'd keep them out the way it was going.  

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

It’s more than that. 

Armstrong v Modric 

Och, that just let's the manager away with murder. We've effectively played with 9 men for three games with O'Donnell and Dykes continued inclusion and we've not played to our strengths and tonight was a perfect example of that 

You stand off a 35 year Modric he's still going to run the show, it's not hard but it seems to be for Clarke.

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I was hoping for a positive result, but knew we were out of our depth. 

Tou keep saying it yourself, WC finalists against a team that has scored 2 goals in the last 5 games of this tournament, we’re out of our depth, which part of that is difficult to understand?

Theyre faster than us, fitter than us, technically better than us, smarter than us. 

I ask again what half time result were you expecting? Or what would be satisfactory to you?

Suffering fuk this place has some right delusional ppl. You do realise Croatia are a brilliant team?

Just now, Mox said:

Och, that just let's the manager away with murder. We've effectively played with 9 men for three games with O'Donnell and Dykes continued inclusion and we've not played to our strengths and tonight was a perfect example of that 

You stand off a 35 year Modric he's still going to run the show, it's not hard but it seems to be for Clarke.

You’re not entirely wrong but we can’t keep blaming managers when half our team is clearly not good enough 

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Correct and we haven’t had the ability (or luck) at times to capitalise on them, we don’t belong at this lever (yet). 

What level is that, we're good enough to go to tournament. I didn't expect much else. Where you expecting us to get quarter final?

Clarke did not manage us well through that tournament. 

Why did McKenna come on today!? He looked like he hadn’t played in ages.

O’Donnell should have been hooked for Patterson about 30 mins before he was & How the fek is Dykes a guaranteed pick. 

Clarke also fucked it by not going for it in the 1 game we could really go for it vs Czech 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

I ask again what half time result were you expecting? Or what would be satisfactory to you?

Suffering fuk this place has some right delusional ppl. You do realise Croatia are a brilliant team?

No they're NOT a  brilliant team. They had a good tournament several years back but they're now has beens. Unfortunately we've got a bunch of never was's and never will be's.

I’ve already said what I was hoping for, but expecting to be down. 

If you’re just too fucking thick to see what else I’m saying, maybe you should reread it instead of posting the same utter nonsense time and time again. 

30 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Are we playing Fraser in CM?

I do like Fraser. Yes had a disappointing season at Newcastle but hes quick, has good control, can go past people and make things happen. I wouldn't have any problem him playing in a more central position.

What level is that, we're good enough to go to tournament. I didn't expect much else. Where you expecting us to get quarter final?

We weren’t good enough to get to the tournament, we snuck in through the back door by winning on penalties twice, scoring 1 goal in those 240 minutes. 

I was expecting us to finish bottom, but hoped for more, not quite sure what you’re trying to get at exactly?

Sontou think performances like that are the stuff that will get us to a higher level?

1 minute ago, buckielugger said:

No they're NOT a  brilliant team. They had a good tournament several years back but they're now has beens. Unfortunately we've got a bunch of never was's and never will be's.

Has beens? 🤣🤣🤣

Honestly min, go have a look at what their players have done.